Time to upgrade from Mirage please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Time to upgrade from Mirage please help

Hello I have a Yamaha RX475 ( That I will likely replace at some point or buy an amp for as it sounds great but I think needs a bit more power, I bought after my Denon failed for the 3rd time in a year and a half. It could just be due to my tiny tiny center channel) powering the 5.1 Mirage Nano Sat set up. I have been happy with them as an entry level home theater but now I feel like they are a bit small and would like to upgrade.
I really prefer not to mount my speakers to my walls as I move every year or so for work. So with that in mind I would prefer floor standing speakers though I could certainly get stands for smaller ones if I need too. I don't know if that is stupid or not. I am looking to spend about 600-1000 on my speakers. Unfortunately I live in the middle of no where and cannot really go listen to things so I depend on people that are more into this hobby than I have been for good advice. I am also willing to do some piece meal as I will likely be upgrading my sub separately, I could use the relatively bad Mirage sub for now and get something like an HSU sub later.

This may also sound like a stupid question but why are the surround speakers always small? I never see any floor standing surround speakers. Is there a reason for this?I am sure you guys get all kinds of questions like this and I apologize for asking also but the more i read the more I get conflicted. I really appreciate any feedback or help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
You can use floorstanding as surrounds. The reason most people don't is (a) surrounds are mainly fill, so towers make for a lot of additional expense and (b) it can be hard to place towers so that they are not obscured by furniture. Stands would seem the best bet to make the most of your budget.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 121
For a tight budget I always recommend Polk speakers - they sound great, are well built, and you can get some serious discounts.

Front L/R Mains - Polk New Monitor 65T Three-Way Ported Floorstanding Loudspeaker - $280 / pr free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290271

Center - Polk New Monitor 25C Two-Way Center Channel - $200 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290281

Surround - Polk New Monitor 35B Compact Bookshelf Loudspeaker - $100 / pr free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290268
or better yet - Polk New Monitor 45B Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker - $200 / pr free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290269

That puts you at $580 or $680 depending on the surround speakers you get. Now you made a good point about towers for surround speakers - those $200 45B speakers and speaker stands are going to cost you at least $300 which is more than another pair of 65T towers - so you just might want to get 4 of them! Those towers have the drivers set very high in the cabinet so you may not have problems putting them on the sides of the couch - there are no drivers at the bottom to be obscured. Problem is that puts you at $760 and doesn't leave much money for the sub. I've seen those towers go on sale for $99 each, so if you can wait you may get price down to $600.

You can get a decent sub for around $250 and that will put you right on budget - even with 4 tower speakers!
Sub - Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-.../dp/B000092TT0

But if you want a really great sub - even Internet Direct - it is going to cost about $500
Sub - SVS PB-1000 300 Watt DSP Controlled, 10" Ported Subwoofer - $500 plus shipping
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/po...0#.U75aQpRdWSo

If it comes to budget and you have to choose between 65T towers / 35B bookshelves for surrounds or a great sub - I would choose the small surrounds, built your own speaker stands, and buy a great sub.

Good luck!

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you get 4 of the Pioneer FS52 speakers and a C22 center speaker.

They are excellent speakers; hard to beat for under $1000.

You should have enough power, but if you could eventually get a NAD or Marantz receiver you will find the sound quality to be a great improvement.

They have lower distortion when driving real speakers (as opposed to a resistor on a test bench), and your ears will know the difference when you hear them.

The power specs published by the manufacturer are the worst thing you can go by when picking a receiver. Many brands have inflated unrealistic ratings, which do not reflect real-world sonic performance.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-10-2014 at 06:15 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you so much for the responses. I had been looking at those Pioneers and they look really nice but was not sure if they were a "best buy" in their price range. I had also been looking at a HSU research package but again I would have to buy a bunch of stands and many stands just look so cheaply made.

I am hesitant about the Marrantz after having such a bad experience with Denon but I will certainly look into the NAD as I have never heard of them before. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
You can use floorstanding as surrounds. The reason most people don't is (a) surrounds are mainly fill, so towers make for a lot of additional expense and (b) it can be hard to place towers so that they are not obscured by furniture. Stands would seem the best bet to make the most of your budget.
Hi cel4145. Can you please check your PM box and let me know if you got my messages? Iv been trying to contact you

Thanks
post #7 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanur View Post
Thank you so much for the responses. I had been looking at those Pioneers and they look really nice but was not sure if they were a "best buy" in their price range. I had also been looking at a HSU research package but again I would have to buy a bunch of stands and many stands just look so cheaply made.

I am hesitant about the Marrantz after having such a bad experience with Denon but I will certainly look into the NAD as I have never heard of them before. Thanks!
Here is a review of the Pioneer's in case you are interested: http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...neer-sp-pk52fs
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page