Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much separation needed for L and R?

I'm leaning toward in-ceiling speakers for LCR, one reason being that I'm thinking tht the 6' cabinet doesn't provide enough separtion between L and R. My current cabinet is 110", but won't have that when I move.

But, I'm really wondering if that less separation is really a big deal.

If that separation seems OK, then I'll need to consider what bookshelf/center I need to settle on.

I will be going with in-ceiling for the rears.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
I'm leaning toward in-ceiling speakers for LCR, one reason being that I'm thinking tht the 6' cabinet doesn't provide enough separtion between L and R. My current cabinet is 110", but won't have that when I move.

If that separation seems OK, then I'll need to consider what bookshelf/center I need to settle on.
Missing from your question is even the slightest clue as to what your listening location is going to be. First cut at LR placement is that the speakers should be at the two outer tips of an equilateral triangle, with you sitting at the apex.

If you are only going to sit a few feet away, then 6' could be fine. Most people are not sitting that close.

Quote:
The biggest problem that I see with in-ceiling speakers for the LCR is that you are unlikely to be anything like on-axis of them in your preferred seating location. At the minimum, in-wall would appear to be a far better choice.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Audioholics formula is this:
Measure the distance from your center channel to you
Multiply that by .3 and .6, this will give you minimum and maximum distances from center.
Ex. 72" x .3 = 21.6
72" x .6 = 43.2
So anywhere from about 2' to 4 1/2' from center for each speaker should be good.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The listening position and the two speakers should form an equilateral triangle.

If you sit much further away than that, you will lose some separation.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
I'm leaning toward in-ceiling speakers for LCR, one reason being that I'm thinking tht the 6' cabinet doesn't provide enough separtion between L and R..
Don't put the L/R in the cabinet. Stand or wall mount them. They should be separated enough so that they image as distinct left/right, which ideally means they're about the same distance apart as you are away from them. Using in ceiling to get that distance is a bad idea, as in ceiling speakers image very poorly. The same applies to the center. Some in ceilings do image OK, those contained in real enclosures that hang down and are angled to aim at the LP, but those tend to be expensive for what you get.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
22 to 30 degrees:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	156649  

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

If you have a lot of stuff between your speakers, you will not get good performance. Your speakers should have some air around them, be forward of the cabinet/TV, and be somewhat toed in so that the intersection is slightly forward to slightly behind your seated head. Also, getting them off of a cabinet and on to independent stands should help a lot.

If you experiment with positioning, wider/closer, forward/back you will find a "sweet spot" that allows the speakers to perform at their best. Once you have found the best positioning, then you can really evaluate the speakers and the need to replace them.

Also, I agree with the previous posters, avoid in-ceiling fronts at all costs.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I always preferred the triangle setup until my last 2 pairs of speakers. I've gone back and forth so many times but I always end up wanting to be closer to them than they are from each other. My head is 9' 6" from the front baffles and the distance of the inside edge of each toed in speaker is 11' 4" apart.

100 agree with what others are saying, if there is anyway you could go with anything besides in ceiling speakers - do it!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page