post #1 of 42 Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
speakers i will be happy with for at least 10 years

my first surround sound system was take energy classic 5.1

i upgraded to pioneer andrew jones budget speaker system with bic f12. i am very happy with the setup but now i want to upgrade again.

i was going to wait for the next EMPTEK impression series sale on thanksgiving and get one of those svs subwoofers. but after thinking about it i will probably want to upgrade a year or so later, again.

life is short i want to buy just one more time and i will spend the money to be happy. i am willing to spend 10k including a new subwoofer and avr. anything above 10k is probably overkill. i just want a bad ass living room setup, im not looking into dedicated home theater setup. i havent measured but my living room is is around 12 wide to 20 length and 8 feet high. one opening to the dining room.

from all my reading my top pick so far is the ascend acoustic sierra towers with the raal tweeter and the center channel with raal. for surrounds i dont think i need anything too expensive. i also read the jtr are a good expensive option like the ascend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I highly recommend funk audio.

You can check out below thread for my impression.
The Official Funk Audio Thread

6.1s with his subs and an emotiva xmc1 which is released next week would likely exceed your expectations.

Feel free to post there. Acudeftechguy guy has demo'd the speakers as well and has multiple speakers costing 10k or more. I'll gladly help you out there. There's also a few pics you might be interested in.

I highly recommend the 6.1p with the 18.0se....
If you want subs... Funk Audio is the way to go...check out the thread.

His subs are 2nd to none for sealed with very low distortion. You can also customize were as your normal shops cannot.

I'm getting something from him as well that would last likely for life

I listed reviews as well for the subs which contains measurements. I'll can also let the Nathan know so he can help you out with customization and choices

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft

Last edited by crackhead2k; 07-12-2014 at 05:53 AM.
post #3 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

i upgraded to pioneer andrew jones budget speaker system with bic f12. i am very happy with the setup but now i want to upgrade again.

i was going to wait for the next EMPTEK impression series sale on thanksgiving and get one of those svs subwoofers. but after thinking about it i will probably want to upgrade a year or so later, again.

life is short i want to buy just one more time and i will spend the money to be happy. i am willing to spend 10k including a new subwoofer and avr. anything above 10k is probably overkill. i just want a bad ass living room setup, im not looking into dedicated home theater setup. i havent measured but my living room is is around 12 wide to 20 length and 8 feet high. one opening to the dining room.

from all my reading my top pick so far is the ascend acoustic sierra towers with the raal tweeter and the center channel with raal. for surrounds i dont think i need anything too expensive. i also read the jtr are a good expensive option like the ascend.
Good morning,

I think I can offer you some great options for your budget. My budget for speakers was also around $10k, plus another $5k in electronics.

Since this is not a dedicated home theater, I'd like to see a pic of the room first,
Bri
post #4 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
life is short i want to buy just one more time and i will spend the money to be happy.
For your potentially last or long-term system, definitely take your time and weigh all options. Many of us will end up selling our systems for a huge loss and changing a lot sooner even when we didn't think we would.

Obviously, everyone thinks his current system is the "best". But it is really the best for "him", which might not be the best for "you". IOW, often times it is about the best "fit" for the individual room and person. There are many factors to consider - sound quality, bass, speaker measurements, aesthetic, size, wife acceptance, pride of ownership, resale value, and best fit for your specific room. Will this be your home for the next 20 years? Are you buying a new house with a 25' x 25' x 12' room in the next few years?

For example, your room is 12'W x 20'L x 8'H, 240 S.F., which isn't very big especially after you factor in sofas, table, TV, and other components. The room certainly does not need a lot of big and high efficiency speakers and subs to "fill" it. The "need" for your room is certainly different compared to a 25' x 25' x 12' room.

Do you want monitors + subs?

Do you want towers + subs?

Do you have room for 2 subs (because dual subs are better than 1 sub for smoother bass response)?

Do you want towers with built-in passive subs (that can be actively bi-amped) that can easily fill your smaller room size so you don't have to buy separate subs? Considering your room size, there may not be a whole lot of different "ideal" locations to place one subwoofer, much less two subwoofers.

Speaker measurements are important to many audiophiles. Are speaker measurements important to you? Speakers and Subs from RBH, Revel, KEF, PSB, Atlantic Technology, Funk, Ascend, Rythmik, Salk, Phil, NHT, SVS, HSU, PSA, usually have very good measurements.

Would it bother you a little bit if your friends and forum members bash certain brands of speakers you buy for the next 10 years? Would you buy those brands regardless of the bashing?

Of course, your wife or significant other is a big factor. Will she like having a big subwoofer? Will it bother her having some big box speakers that aren't exactly pretty to look at?

A lot to ponder.
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 07-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Phew, 10 years. I could never answer that. I cannot get through a year without upgraditus. Best thing to do is go on a mission and start listening to speakers.
post #6 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Phew, 10 years. I could never answer that. I cannot get through a year without upgraditus. Best thing to do is go on a mission and start listening to speakers.
Agreed. I think you should unsubscribe from this thread immediately Dave. You can't possibly related to the OP's sentiment.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I think the EMPtek speakers are a great deal and sound and look great! However, if I were willing to spend 10k on audio, they wouldn't be the speaker that I own!

I think the Ascend Acoustic speakers are outstanding and the tower with the ribbon upgrade is outstanding, I have heard from a freind who just bought them to replace his CMT340s! And unlike the AA bookshelves, the Sierra towers look great!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I'm a bit like the O.P., in that I think long term. I buy a house, I stay in it. I buy a car and it should last a long time (I still have my 1997 Camaro and it runs just fine). I bought McIntosh equipment back in '78 and both the amp and preamp work as good now as then, although I did succumb to upgrade fever and bought a new Mac preamp a couple of years ago. Kind of foolish, because the C-28 was still working just fine. Same way with speakers. My first major purchase lasted over 20 years. I expect the same for my current pair and the subs I purchased.

There are simply too many quality speakers and subwoofers being made to be able to audition a minute fraction, but I suggest the O.P. audition as many as practical. As AcuDefTechGuy mentioned, you need to please yourself and we are all different in what we think is a great system, so I'll refrain from making any suggestions. Just don't be in a rush and enjoy the journey.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Funk Audio stuff looks great. One thing I would do for longevity is buy an amp separate of the processor. That will help both the amp and the prepro last longer. I would not pick up some mid level AVR for a system intended to last for a decade or longer. You might think about getting a passive subwoofer too- Funk can build those. Add your own amplifier, maybe an iNuke DSP from Behringer.
crackhead2k likes this.
post #10 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Nathan uses amp modules from both PowerSoft and Pascal. Certainly no longevity or reliability issue with either of those.

post #11 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
why cant anything be simple. oh well i have a lot of reading to do. thanks guys
post #12 of 42 Old 07-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Contact Jim at www.salksound.com and get a contact nearby so that you can listen to a pair in someone's home.
post #13 of 42 Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
It is possible to get a demo with Funk Audio also in home as well...

http://funkaudio.ca/blog

Please check out his blog for that. Hope this helps.
I'll be on the Official Funk Audio Thread if you the need help specifically with his products .

Here's some of his great work!

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
post #14 of 42 Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I would take a look at JTR Noesis 212's or 228's for main LCR speakers.
post #15 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you ask 100 guys to recommend a $10K speakers/sub/AVR 5.1 system, you will get 100 different recommendations.

Do you want 100 specific 5.1 system recommendations for your 12' x 20' x 8' room?
Deckard97 and dsrussell like this.
post #16 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Hey Luis,

Like Deftech said....you will most definitely get 100 suggestions

Here's mine

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ful...-broomfield-co

The speakers look mint and have the original crates. They are Ferrari Red and would cost around $5000 brand new.....especially with the custom paint job. check em out, you may like..

Enjoy my friend!
post #17 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Triton Ones from Goldenear seem to be getting stellar press reviews for mains, and they're only $5k/pair.
post #18 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

What is your listening distance?
How loud do you like to listen?

Lots of good choices at your price point. Some of the speakers that we carry is in my signature.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #19 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post
The Triton Ones from Goldenear seem to be getting stellar press reviews for mains, and they're only $5k/pair.
There are many excellent speakers for sure in this price class. Everyone has his own personal favorite. 100 audiophiles = 100 favorite "best" speakers.

I'll share my personal favorite $5K-class of speaker - the RBH SX-8300 (MSRP $5K) and SX-8300/R (MSRP $5,900) towers. Discounts are available, so actual prices are below $5K for both of these.

Obviously, the reason we all like the speakers we like is because they sound great to us - crystal clear super dynamic larger-than-life sound and imaging. That's the salient reason.

But what I like about the SX-8300 & 8300/R is that the bass can be actively bi-amped using LFE from the AVR and any external amp. Thus, the bass can be independently adjusted. You don't have to mess with DSP and parametric EQ to boost or cut the bass frequencies, which usually adversely affects the rest of the sound in my experience.

Each SX-8300 & 8300/R tower has a trio of 8" woofers, which is almost equivalent to the RBH SX 12" subwoofer. Thus, a pair of SX-8300 towers is like having dual 12" subwoofers.

The SX-8300/R towers get the upgraded Reference flagship Status Acoustics high quality aluminum cone midrange driver with phase plug, Scan Speak 9500 tweeter, and aluminum woofers.

Last edited by AcuDefTechGuy; 07-14-2014 at 12:53 PM.
post #20 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Agreed. I think you should unsubscribe from this thread immediately Dave. You can't possibly related to the OP's sentiment.
Ha, I just caught this. Yep you can attest to my madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
It is possible to get a demo with Funk Audio also in home as well...

http://funkaudio.ca/blog

Please check out his blog for that. Hope this helps.
I'll be on the Official Funk Audio Thread if you the need help specifically with his products .

Here's some of his great work!

I gotta say the last picture of the speaker in this group are gorgeous, they are Salk gorgeous. I don't ever want to hear them, I just don't because they will probably sound like my divorce.
post #21 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Ha, I just caught this. Yep you can attest to my madness

I gotta say the last picture of the speaker in this group are gorgeous, they are Salk gorgeous. I don't ever want to hear them, I just don't because they will probably sound like my divorce.
Those are the 8.2P.

Has higher output and bass extention compared to the bookshelves. The 6.1p has similar sonics other then that. Of course bookshelves need subs.

They are very dynamic detailed and accurate.
The planar on these are phenomenal. They can compete with raal and has none of the problems on a BG Neo 8.

And just so you know.

The demo pair is on sale.
I saw them 3 weeks ago ish. In beautiful condition. They deserve a good home

They can be a final speaker you ever buy. If i had some budget left i would finish my surrounds with this speaker. But he is building something awesome for me right now

And no these are in another class of performance. .. completely different compared to what you have seem from funk. Have fun trying to find out what it is

Last edited by crackhead2k; 07-14-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #22 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They can be a final speaker you ever buy. If i had some budget left i would finish my surrounds with this speaker. But he is building something awesome for me right now
Just so you know... the word 'final' does not exist in Dave's vocabulary. Trust me on that...

post #23 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Just so you know... the word 'final' does not exist in Dave's vocabulary. Trust me on that...
Yeah and we are not helping him either
Maybe we need 130db with distortion levels below that of our DACs.

If that doesn't work... I give up

Last edited by crackhead2k; 07-15-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo
post #24 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
And no these are in another class of performance. .. completely different compared to what you have seem from funk. Have fun trying to find out what it is
Line array?
post #25 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Line array?
There is more than 1 way to increase sensitivity and performance you know.
And no I wouldn't tell you exactly what it is yet

post #26 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah he does not know me very well. LOL final speaker.
Quote:
Those are the 8.2P.

Has higher output and bass extention compared to the bookshelves. The 6.1p has similar sonics other then that. Of course bookshelves need subs.

They are very dynamic detailed and accurate.
The planar on these are phenomenal. They can compete with raal and has none of the problems on a BG Neo 8.

And just so you know.

The demo pair is on sale.
I saw them 3 weeks ago ish. In beautiful condition. They deserve a good home

Yeah I bet they sound really nice. If they sound as good as they look then they are a real winner. Unfortunately they are going to have to find another home as I just bought a pair of JTR 215's, so I am out of commission for awhile. I am sure someone will be snapping them up. I am sure they will not come cheap. I have never heard anything from Funk Audio, but they really build some amazing stuff. To me they are very dangerous. I really need to keep away from them and Salk.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 07-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #27 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
There is more than 1 way to increase sensitivity and performance you know.
Interocitor?

Here we see the designers hard at work:

Notice the superior fore-brains ........
Deckard97 and JimWilson like this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-15-2014 at 11:09 PM.
post #28 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Gosh, B&W, and KEF are two names that come to mind. I have "worshiped" at the B&W alter since the 80's. Still do not own a high end B&W. (B&W - Bowers and Wilkins)

post #29 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Krell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Interocitor?

Here we see the designers hard a work:

Notice the superior fore-brains ........

I think Robby the Robot has another suggestion here....although it may decrease sensitivity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forbidden-planet-50th-anniversary-2-disc-special-edition-20070105022618845-000.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	163401  
post #30 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ask everyone who spent $5K on their speakers what they currently have. You will pretrty much get the same answers.

My living room has B&W 805's paired with an HTM1 center and a Martin Logan Depth i sub. Works well for me and I feel no need to upgrade.

The only reason I have these is because I sold my BA VR975's on the advice of this forum 10 years ago, because apparently their dispersion was 'not wide enough.' However, they got a lot of compliments that I don't hear with the B&Ws. Consider that the drawbacks you hear about various speakers might be more theoretical than practical.

It took me 5 years and several mixes of B&Ws to get back to the happy that I had with the relatively cheap BA's. ($1700 new but much cheaper used)

There will be a lot of religious wars ahead I am sure and I am happy with my B&W's, but you don't have to spend a lot of money to like your speakers.

Look into an AVR like the NAD Masters series, you can upgrade it with new sound and vicdeo cards and keep it up to date with new standards for most of those 10 years.

Last edited by Big J SD; 07-15-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Reply Speakers