Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Definitive Technology Promonitor 800 vs DI 6.5R

Hello Experts,
I am setting up a home theater in my living room(great room), that opens to dining area and that opens to the kitchen.
I bought a Pioneer VSX 70 Elite AV receiver. My TV is mounted above the fireplace (not ideal but works OK)
Which of the following would be the best setup ?
1. Promonitor 800 for front left and front right(mounted on stands/on the wall on either sides of the fireplace), pro monitor 1000 for the center(on the fireplace mantle), DI 6.5R for rear channels(in ceilings).
2. DI6.5R for front left, front right and rear channels along with Pro 1000 for the center(this goes on the fireplace mantle).
3. DI6.5R for all five channels.

I am thinking of getting a Pro 800 sub.

I have 10 ft ceiling in my living room. Here is the layout.

I have labelled where the TV and the couch are.

Thank you everyone in advance.
vijay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hometheater.png
Views:	5
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	157417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
From the choices you've thrown out there and what you've described as far as placement I would ditch the PM 800's all together.
For about the same money, I'll give you a couple of suggestions.
1) Bookshelf all the way around:
5x SM-45 (also very good musically for the money)
or
4x SM-45 & ProCenter 2000

2) Combo:
3x SM-45 (or 2x w/ PC-2000) and UIW-BP/A
or
3x SM-45 (or 2x w/ PC-2000) and UIW-55

3) All Flush
(3 wall & 2 ceiling or preferably all wall)
5x UIW-65
or
3x UIW-65 & 2x UIW-BP/A
or
3x UIW-65 & 2x UIW-55

And I'd opt. for the 1000 over the 800 sub in that space.

(There are of course many other options, but those would be my comparable choices in the DefTech world.)

Oh, any of the above choices with the SM-45's would be excellent for music, whether it be 2 channel or 5 channel of you did 4 or 5 SM-45's
And if you had the extra coin or found a good deal on referbs on E-Bay, I'd swap out the SM-55's for either the front three or at least L/R.

Last edited by ALtlOff; 07-12-2014 at 05:52 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If you're stuck on deftech buy from here:
http://stores.ebay.com/bajawaverunner

Use the savings to buy a better sub. Deftech makes great speakers but you can get better subs for the money. Look into the svs pb1000/2000.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.
The studio monitor series would be too big. Also for the rear channels I have to go with in-ceiling speakers.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Your "Great Rm" is over 3,400 cu. ft. which puts it into the "Large Room" category. Add to that fact that it is open to the dining room, then the kitchen, puts you at a disadvantage, especially where a subwoofer is concerned. I agree with ALtl0ff in that the SM-45 for front and center is a good choice, but since they are too large for you (?) then I guess the SM-55s are out of the equation .

Really, you have a big volume to fill, and if I were you I'd skip the Def Tech sub and get something that can give you a chance at some happiness in that room. Rythmik, SVS, Hsu, PSA and Reaction Audio should be on your list. Your choice, of courseā€¦.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you dsrussell !!

I would definitely look at the other sub options. Could you please suggest a few specific models?

I have another newbie question(below), which I might ask in a separate thread.
I see that the frequency range of SM45 is 35Hz to 30KHz. The frequency range of Promonitor 800 is 57 Hz to 30kHz. If I get a good subwoofer and set a crossover frequency of lets say 100Hz, would I get same performance from either the SM54 or the pro800, since the receiver would be sending anything less than 100hz to the sub woofer ?
Thinking more about it, the same principle should apply to a pro 600 (55Hz to 30kHz) vs pro 800 (57 Hz to 30Khz) setup, right?

Is my understanding incorrect here?

Or does a bigger speaker actually deliver the same range of frequencies in a better crisp sound?

I do not plan to drive the speakers at a very high volume. I am looking for something that delivers crisp and clear sound.

Thanks again!!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

vijay: While Def Tech makes some nice speakers, their specifications are simply bogus, and I've never understood why they do this. For instance, the SM-55 which I auditioned a year or so ago is stated by Def Tech to go down to 32 Hz. Huh? Simply a lie. While it has very good bass for its size, a well-known publication measured it 3 dB down at 44 Hz (which is very good indeed, but a far cry from 32 Hz). So what do you think that means for the Promonitor series or Def Tech subs? Try to find some reviews on the model you're looking at that actually give test results. And most importantly, audition them. And when you are auditioning make sure you bring a dB meter when comparing different speakers. Speakers that have approximately the same frequency range can sound very different. There are many factors in why (better drivers, lower distortion, better dispersion characteristics, and on and on).

Bookshelf speakers, even those that have a decent to good bass response, will be greatly enhanced by a good subwoofer. It's really a requirement. Even full-range towers can benefit greatly. When using a bookshelf speaker that requires a crossover above 80 Hz, localization will come into play, meaning your sub will need to be placed close to your mains. With bookshelf speakers that can go low without audible distortion, it allows you to place the subwoofer anywhere in the room because the crossover point will be under 80 Hz (the subwoofer crawl test will locate the sub for you).

As far as the different models by those I.D. companies, it depends upon what you are willing to spend. While I.D. companies will give you far more bang for the buck than their commercial counterparts (and better warranty), in a room (or rooms) that have your volume, one needs a subwoofer with significant output and possibly multiple subs. Give me a price range and I'll offer up a few suggestions to think about. Better yet, go to the subwoofer section of this forum and you'll get plenty of knowledgable people helping you.

I wish you the best on your search. It should be an exciting (and hopefully), rewarding experience.

Last edited by dsrussell; 07-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Russell.
I now understand that the stand deviation of the sensitivity is another parameter that needs to be taken into account.
My budget is around $900 to $1000 including tax.
I found a local dealer for Def Tech who has Pro 1000 center for $169, Pro 800 satellites for $119, pro 800 sub for $299 and DI6.5R for $169 each (for my rears) and he is ready to cut it down a little more if I get all of them.

Please suggest me the options you have in your mind.

Yes this is very exciting and am learning something new
post #9 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay609 View Post
Thanks again Russell.
I now understand that the stand deviation of the sensitivity is another parameter that needs to be taken into account.
My budget is around $900 to $1000 including tax.
I found a local dealer for Def Tech who has Pro 1000 center for $169, Pro 800 satellites for $119, pro 800 sub for $299 and DI6.5R for $169 each (for my rears) and he is ready to cut it down a little more if I get all of them.

Please suggest me the options you have in your mind.

Yes this is very exciting and am learning something new
If you want buy local I support that, but the eBay store I linked to is deftechs "unofficial" refurb seller. Lots of us deftech guys have purchased from that store with no problems at all. Read through the deftech threads for reviews. You can save some $ and put it towards a better sub. Browse the subwoofer forum as well for more info.

For example, the PM800s are $75/each...
post #10 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post
If you want buy local I support that, but the eBay store I linked to is deftechs "unofficial" refurb seller. Lots of us deftech guys have purchased from that store with no problems at all. Read through the deftech threads for reviews. You can save some $ and put it towards a better sub. Browse the subwoofer forum as well for more info.

For example, the PM800s are $75/each...
Thanks for the pointer. I will check it out.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi vijay: It's good that you told me your price range. It makes all the difference in what you should select. The Definitive ProSub 800 was given a surprisingly good review (even with some criticisms where you don't want to see them). You need to realize a $400 sub (sold for $300) will have limitations. Heck, a $2,000 sub will have limitations in your home because of the volume and openness. You can read the ProSub review here: http://hometheaterreview.com/definit...ofer-reviewed/

I think you've done very well in your selection, and will have a pretty decent system (it would be a much better system in a small room). Are there better subs for $300? Actually, not many, but a few with greater output and better connectivity, but it won't make much difference in your home, and for the reasons already stated.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Russel !!

Would "NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer" be a better choice for the sub?
http://www.nxgtechnology.com/subwoofers.html
Its available for $270 and has great reviews

At this point Def Tech pro sub 800 is out.
I am thinking between HSU STF 1 vs NX-BAS-500.
Or I can stretch to STF 2 if it would be significantly better.

Please advice!!
post #13 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ As much as I like Hsu subs, the NX-BAS-500 will have more output and dig deeper than the STF-2 and would be a significant jump from the diminutive STF-1. The NXG is one of the best subs at that price. You simply won't do better at $270.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Russell!!

Is it better than or as good as STF2 as well ?
I wont be upgrading my system for a long time. If STF2 would be noticeably better, i would try to stretch my budget.

I really appreciate the help!!
post #15 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I haven't auditioned either subwoofer myself, so it is just my guess based upon power, driver size and published frequency response (along with Jim Wilson's review). Dr. Hsu can work miracles, but I think the NXG would trump the STF-2, and probably noticeably. The NXG was one of two subwoofers I was going to suggest (and the best out of those two suggestions), but I thought you were sold on the Def Tech.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page