Bose Don't Like Drunks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By walter scott
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Bose Don't Like Drunks

O.K., the other night I was drunk, to much whiskey, to much sitting around outsidenear the Fire Pit, to much listening to music through my Andriod, so I had an idea.

In my Cellar/Man Cave my older A/V gear resides, a Onkyo SR-806 powering (2) Bose 201 Series II speakers.

I decided to hook my phone up to my 806 using a ill fitting Mini Jack to Red White RCA Cable with the receiver on full volume, well there was some static, some popping noises and now the right front Bose crackles and has a static noise and wont handle much if any volume? I fear I blew the speaker.

I've always liked these Bose as they were a gift by my parents way back when I was a teenager, they hold sentimental value and to me sound good.

Is there anyway to repair them without effecting their sound?

How do I diagnose whats broken?

Is it even cost effective to try and repair these?

Is this a repair a moderately handy individual could perform at home?

Where would I get the needed parts?

Thanks.
KTM300EXC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-14-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Just curious..does the speaker still crackle with
Other sources? Ie-FM radio or a CD?

With "full volume" you may have blown the
Speaker. Call to Bose?
grasshoppers is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have not tested with other devices but will do so soon. I'm pretty sure it is the speaker itself that has an issue though.

I have yet to call Bose, I was just trying to get a feel of what was wrong, how to diagnose, and a rough estimate of the cost.

Thanks for the assistance, I will post future updates when I do some more testing, sober testing that is, LOL.....
KTM300EXC is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
walter scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
I have not tested with other devices but will do so soon. I'm pretty sure it is the speaker itself that has an issue though.

I have yet to call Bose, I was just trying to get a feel of what was wrong, how to diagnose, and a rough estimate of the cost.

Thanks for the assistance, I will post future updates when I do some more testing, sober testing that is, LOL.....
First try swapping the speakers. Does the noise swap or does it come out of the same channel? if it swaps, then yes you have damaged the speakers. if the noise is in the same channel but coming out of different speaker then the problem is in your receiver. don't feel too bad, i did something like that when I was in college in the early 1970s.
walter scott is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter scott View Post
First try swapping the speakers. Does the noise swap or does it come out of the same channel? if it swaps, then yes you have damaged the speakers. if the noise is in the same channel but coming out of different speaker then the problem is in your receiver. don't feel too bad, i did something like that when I was in college in the early 1970s.
Sorry for the delay, I'm in a horrible battle with Onkyo over my failure prone NR-809 AVR, Anyways...

So I just swapped the the Left and Right speaker connections on the back of the AVR, and the same one is crackling.

I also tried a few different sources and got the same results.

I took the grills off of the speaker in question, it has one large speaker and 1 smaller side firing speaker in the enclosure, I couldn't physically see anything wrong with either of them?

How to I go about diagnosing this further? Does Bose see "Rebuild" kits? Do they offer a "Repair" service? I know these speakers aren't Super Awesome or expensive, but they sounded reasonable well and I have had them for about 25+ years, they have sentimental value, thus I would like to get it fixed.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.
KTM300EXC is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Sorry for the delay, I'm in a horrible battle with Onkyo over my failure prone NR-809 AVR, Anyways...

So I just swapped the the Left and Right speaker connections on the back of the AVR, and the same one is crackling.

I also tried a few different sources and got the same results.

I took the grills off of the speaker in question, it has one large speaker and 1 smaller side firing speaker in the enclosure, I couldn't physically see anything wrong with either of them?

How to I go about diagnosing this further? Does Bose see "Rebuild" kits? Do they offer a "Repair" service? I know these speakers aren't Super Awesome or expensive, but they sounded reasonable well and I have had them for about 25+ years, they have sentimental value, thus I would like to get it fixed.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.
So, the moral of this story is to NEVER turn the volume all the way up .... this might also be a clue as to why the Onkyo keeps failing, but that's another thread ...

As far as the speakers go, they are toast. Don't go to the expense of fixing them (they are not worth the bother or expense), look at this as an opportunity to get better speakers.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-25-2014 at 01:43 PM.
RayGuy is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
walter scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Sorry for the delay, I'm in a horrible battle with Onkyo over my failure prone NR-809 AVR, Anyways...

So I just swapped the the Left and Right speaker connections on the back of the AVR, and the same one is crackling.

I also tried a few different sources and got the same results.

I took the grills off of the speaker in question, it has one large speaker and 1 smaller side firing speaker in the enclosure, I couldn't physically see anything wrong with either of them?

How to I go about diagnosing this further? Does Bose see "Rebuild" kits? Do they offer a "Repair" service? I know these speakers aren't Super Awesome or expensive, but they sounded reasonable well and I have had them for about 25+ years, they have sentimental value, thus I would like to get it fixed.

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.
It sounds like you fried one or both drivers. I agree with others that you should just replace them. However there are online speaker repair sites as well as places to purchase replacement drivers
walter scott is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have better speakers upstairs, these have just always been with me thus the thought of keeping them.

What would be a rough cost for repairing this broken one? Could I do it?
KTM300EXC is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, just got done talking with Bose.

They no longer carry parts for my Series II 201's.

They offered me an exchange, a new set of Series V 301's for a total, including shipping and handling of $204.00. On Amazon these list for $328.00 so I feel this is a great deal.

Wasn't expecting an offer like that, so I went ahead and did it, shipping mine to them once I get the shipping label.

Thanks.
KTM300EXC is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
walter scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
sounds decent of them!
walter scott is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
KTM300EXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Taxachusetts
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter scott View Post
sounds decent of them!
Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.....You steered clear of the typical Bose bashing.
KTM300EXC is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
walter scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM300EXC View Post
Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.....You steered clear of the typical Bose bashing.
That is because I still remember hearing a pair Bose 901 speakers around 1970 and lusting for them.
KTM300EXC likes this.
walter scott is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off