Speaker Recommendation Needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker Recommendation Needed.

In my 20 Years of audio, I am still searching for my perfect pair of speakers.
I have used a lot of speakers but still am searching for this particular Midrange characteristic.

I want Rich, Smooth, Lively, Extremely Musical Midrange.
I can care less about top end extension, lower bass and detail.
Natural sounding, Uncolored, detailed mids, neutrality, transparancy are not what I'm looking for.

It might not make any sense but there exist that midrange I'm looking for.
Doesn't necessarily mean its a high end, its possible I might like the midrange of a $50 dollar speakers.

The closest one I found so far is the ERA D5 midrange.
Seems to me that the ERA D5 the midrange characteristic is similar to the velvety dynaudio midrange sound but without
the fullness of the lower midbass region. Also the Sonus Faber Toy's 4 inch Vifa PL drivers possess similar midrange characteristic.
I need this type of midrange sound with more "Beaming Characteristic" that colors the sound a bit.
Yes I do like coloration in the midrange.

So far I have Omitted, Seas excel, Eton mids, Scanspeak revelator mids, All Focal Cones, any Aluminum Cones, carbon fiber cones.
I think this midrange can only be produced with some sort of poly cone based midrange drivers.
Sorry if this doesn't make any sense but I need some expert advice.

Local HiFi shop recommended me Vienna Acoustics, and am willing to try the Haydn.

Thanks any recommendation would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Price range? Tower vs Bookshelf?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypass911 View Post

So far I have Omitted, Seas excel, Eton mids, Scanspeak revelator mids, All Focal Cones, any Aluminum Cones, carbon fiber cones..
Not quite sure what that means. You've omitted those ones? (Crossed off your list.)

Heard them? Or actually have them?
post #4 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Obviously you know you need to just listen to as much as you can until you find what fits, kind of like the glass slipper....

Phil 3's have a very nice midrange, I would say it is one of the flattest speakers I have ever heard, the mids specifically are very realistic and don't seem to contribute any of their own attitude... But they may sound totally different to you...

Home trials and go around listening to what you can, I am more picky with my highs and lows than the mids, I just like the mids clean, clear, and flat, I also feel that the tweeter has a lot to do with how the mid range is reproduced.. I have heard the same mid driver with a different network and tweeter and the speaker sounds totally different in all the ranges...

I listen to a ton of speakers, I had almost 30 pairs of bookshelfs and one of my favorite sets is a pair of CSB1's that are very affordable, I have other books that cost literally almost 15 times as much and I still love the sound them csb1's make...

Have you tried the Wharfedale Dentons {the new ones} Music direct has a set on sale for $700, so they may be worth a shot, its only a couple few hundred bucks and I seen them sell used on ebay for more than that... They have a nice midrange, kevlar cone and very retro but they sound good.. I have mine powered with a Luxman L-505UX kind of went all the way with the retro system in my office, a lot of people that see the books and amp together say "wow, thats and oldy" when it is actually all brand new... Anyway, the dentons may have the midrange you are looking for....
post #5 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Not quite sure what that means. You've omitted those ones? (Crossed off your list.)

Heard them? Or actually have them?
I had them all, they were all excellent for what they can do especially the Seas Excel, they just had different midrange characteristic from what I'm searching for.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcloud View Post
Obviously you know you need to just listen to as much as you can until you find what fits, kind of like the glass slipper....

Phil 3's have a very nice midrange, I would say it is one of the flattest speakers I have ever heard, the mids specifically are very realistic and don't seem to contribute any of their own attitude... But they may sound totally different to you...

Home trials and go around listening to what you can, I am more picky with my highs and lows than the mids, I just like the mids clean, clear, and flat, I also feel that the tweeter has a lot to do with how the mid range is reproduced.. I have heard the same mid driver with a different network and tweeter and the speaker sounds totally different in all the ranges...

I listen to a ton of speakers, I had almost 30 pairs of bookshelfs and one of my favorite sets is a pair of CSB1's that are very affordable, I have other books that cost literally almost 15 times as much and I still love the sound them csb1's make...

Have you tried the Wharfedale Dentons {the new ones} Music direct has a set on sale for $700, so they may be worth a shot, its only a couple few hundred bucks and I seen them sell used on ebay for more than that... They have a nice midrange, kevlar cone and very retro but they sound good.. I have mine powered with a Luxman L-505UX kind of went all the way with the retro system in my office, a lot of people that see the books and amp together say "wow, thats and oldy" when it is actually all brand new... Anyway, the dentons may have the midrange you are looking for....
You are absolutely right. The tweeter and crossover does play a huge role in midrange sonic signatures. I experienced the same.
I will definitely look into CSB1's and Wharfedale Dentons.

This hobby is never ending.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If it's midrange bloom that you are looking for find a pair of old Spendors or Castle Acoustics. The Direct Acoustic Silent Speaker might meet your needs (see review below) but they may have too much bass for your liking.

In the end I wonder if you won't be most satisfied by simply using an equalizer and boosting the midrange of a speaker that has been characterized as having a warm sound.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue57/hsu.htm
post #8 of 16 Old Today, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Just received the Carnegie CSB1 and had time to play with. Bought used only paid $400 bucks , build quality was pretty good for the price.
They were a little picky where they wanted to be. I tried listening to some of my personal test tracks and favorite songs.
For the price they're very good. It's just not the midrange coloration I'm looking for. I think what I'm looking for is speaker that has a coloration in the midrange frequency in the 1000hz to 2000hz. I would also think that this coloration I'm looking for is rather just a character of "distortion"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 24, 8 46 01 PM.jpg (169.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 24, 8 59 36 PM.jpg (87.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 24, 8 59 48 PM.jpg (100.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 24, 10 22 24 PM.jpg (110.2 KB, 7 views)
post #9 of 16 Old Today, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Just received the Carnegie CSB1 and had time to play with. Bought used only paid $400 bucks , build quality was pretty good for the price.
They were a little picky where they wanted to be. I tried listening to some of my personal test tracks and favorite songs.
For the price they're very good. It's just not the midrange coloration I'm looking for. I think what I'm looking for is speaker that has a coloration in the midrange frequency in the 1000hz to 2000hz. I would also think that this coloration I'm looking for is rather just a character of "distortion"?

I think what you want is a pair of Gallo Classico CL-2 speakers, which run around $790 per pair.

They have a unique proprietary tweeter which is excellent, and by using a specially matched bass/midrange driver and enclosure, there is a natural transition from the main driver to the tweeter with no electrical "crossover" required.

The tweeter's design also has almost 180 degrees of horizontal dispersion, which makes the listening position very non-critical.

The build quality and sound quality are excellent. The real cherry wood finish is deep-colored and lustrous.

You can buy them direct from Gallo and they will give a full refund and even pay return shipping for 30 days, so your risk is zero.

Their website is www.roundsound.com

Last edited by commsysman; Today at 11:55 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
I would also think that this coloration I'm looking for is rather just a character of "distortion"?
It is not distortation

The Era D5 - have a rise between 1 and 2 khz - that is why they are close to your speaker/preference tone color.
They still measure with in a +/- 3 db window from 500 to 10 khz

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; Today at 02:15 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 955
fwiw, look at the kef ls 50's

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #12 of 16 Old Today, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
It is not distortation

The Era D5 - have a rise between 1 and 2 khz - that is why they are close to your speaker/preference tone color.
They still measure with in a +/- 3 db window from 500 to 10 khz

Thanks for that clarification. Besides the ERA's are there any other options for me to try with that midrange peak?
post #13 of 16 Old Today, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
fwiw, look at the kef ls 50's
I will do some research on this speaker. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #14 of 16 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Thanks for that clarification. Besides the ERA's are there any other options for me to try with that midrange peak?
The Epos Epic 2 - they tend to have a bump at 700 and 2 khz
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-e...eakers-pr.aspx

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #15 of 16 Old Today, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The Epos Epic 2 - they tend to have a bump at 700 and 2 khz
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-e...eakers-pr.aspx

Thanks for that, they're so cheap , I will grab these right now and try it.
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think you need an eq ... or have someone custom make you a pair of speakers

HT-Emotiva UMC200 and XPA5, Ascend 340se front stage, 200se surrounds, Dual HSU VTF2's
Bedroom music-jolida 202 integrated & Tekton Lores
Formal parlor music- XPA2 & XDA2, Wharfedale Evo2-40's, dual WD sw subs, pure i20
Guest parlor-Parasound 2100 outlaw 2200 monos, csb1 bookshelfs, dual SVS sb12nsd subs
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page