Which KEF front speaker combo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which KEF front speaker combo?

Which of these is the better option? I can get both of these options for within $100 of each other.

Option 1) 2 KEF Q300s paired with a Q600c

Option 2) 2 KEF Q500s paired with a Q200c

Option 2 is approximately $100 more expensive (mostly shipping cost). The Q500s are discounted to $299 which is a crazy price.

This would be upgrading legacy KEF Q1 series. I have never owned floor-standing speakers before.

Here are some details to help in answering:

1. Budget: N/A - I am OK with the pricing ~$1000

2. Size requirements/limits: None

3. Room dimensions. Approx 18x30 with 8 - 9 ft ceilings and a couple of openings

4. Primary uses. 100% Home Theater

5. Listening habits. I do like some bass and since this is a dedicated home theater in the basement, I do tend to have the volume up pretty high.

6. Appearance requirements. Don't care as long as it sounds good.

7. Other Info: Denon AVR-1613; Definitive Technology Pro Sub 1000; KEF surrounds

Thanks in advance for the help! I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
For primarily HT/surround listening (movies, multi-channel music, etc.) both options are good with maybe a slight edge to option 2.

Couple other thoughts ...

For dedicated HT/surround listening the ideal (though not commonly achieved) setup is three identical speakers across the front - gives you a seamless front sound stage. Some better options might be ...
- Three Q300's across the front as your LCR (if center channel space is an issue - unlike most speakers the Q300 can be laid on it's side without compromising sq)
- Three Q200's or Q600's across the front as LCR.

Another consideration - that's a fairly large space and a new, better sub (or 2) would noticeably improve your bass.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
For primarily HT/surround listening (movies, multi-channel music, etc.) both options are good with maybe a slight edge to option 2.

Couple other thoughts ...

For dedicated HT/surround listening the ideal (though not commonly achieved) setup is three identical speakers across the front - gives you a seamless front sound stage. Some better options might be ...
- Three Q300's across the front as your LCR (if center channel space is an issue - unlike most speakers the Q300 can be laid on it's side without compromising sq)
- Three Q200's or Q600's across the front as LCR.

Another consideration - that's a fairly large space and a new, better sub (or 2) would noticeably improve your bass.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up holding off on the purchase. Interesting thought on using the same 3 speakers across the front...

Yeah, the sub isn't the greatest - I have considered upgrading to a PVS, Rythmik or Outlaw but have yet to pull the trigger.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Personally since you already have Q series why side step to Q series? Go for R series

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?