Help choosing replacement sub for Onkyo 5500 (dead SKW 591) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyrob425
  • 1 Post By FL_Speakers
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help choosing replacement sub for Onkyo 5500 (dead SKW 591)

Repair is not a valid choice for me. What are good replacements for the subwoofer? Never used it much at all, this morning when I turned things on, I got a high pitched whine followed later by the "heartbeat". The rest of the system and speakers work, of course everything sounds rather empty.

In the interim, is there a way to recalibrate system so it sounds as good as it can without sub? On to the main question, with budget and some data.

Listening Area : Small, barely enough to fit the 2 back channel speakers. When I set it all up I got help to mount speakers and run wires through walls/attic, and everything is properly spaced. The room itself is 12'x15' (give or take some inches) and is open on the left side front, to a hallway, also on the left side rear half open to dining/utilility area. For those knowledgable about the Space Coast/Homebuilding it is a 1957 GDC house, and there is really only 1 space in the home to set up, and thats where it is.

Performance of previous unit: I was very happy with it. Never had any of the problems I read about with Onkyo and subs cutting in/out. The audio quality was fine for me and occasional guests. Movies and some video gaming. The Audessy? setup helped and I even had a schoolmate stop by, who is a competitive gamer with an MLG team do some COD with his Xbox hooked up, he commented that the positional was amazing and clear. Just clarifying that the performance was ok to me, and I am not necessarily looking or needing an upgrade, just a replacement.

Uses : Movies, Tv, Video Games. Definitely not an audiophile. If sounds were not clear before, I did not notice.

Remaining Equipment: Same speakers that came with HT s5500 setup./ Had a nice shielded cable I used to hook up the sub to rcvr and it sat at the front right corner of listening area.

Budget: $200 maximum and that is stretching it. I have seen the latest Onkyo model SKW204, but I am not sure if I want to go with same brand again. The old one was not abused, and barely lightly used.

As an aside how can I check or test the receiver to see if it is really ok? There was no storm or anomaly this morning, it just died. Onkyo 'support' just said that if I still get sound out of the other speakers (I do) that it is ok?

Thank you,
FL_Speakers

Last edited by FL_Speakers; 07-15-2014 at 09:56 AM.
FL_Speakers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Bic F12
or
Dayton Sub-1200

Those are the go to subwoofers under $200.

For the time being set the subwoofer on the receiver menu to No. This should set your front left and right to "Large". But that isn't a real solution as given the size of your speakers you need a subwoofer

Ignore the "onkyo" subwoofers.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Bic F12
or
Dayton Sub-1200

Those are the go to subwoofers under $200.

For the time being set the subwoofer on the receiver menu to No. This should set your front left and right to "Large". But that isn't a real solution as given the size of your speakers you need a subwoofer

Ignore the "onkyo" subwoofers.
Thank you crazyrob425 and the AVS Forum as a whole. Lots of good info here I have used in the past. I just found out about those 2 models of subs from some other threads here.

I could afford to pull the trigger on either one, and for prices I am seeing, the delta is about $50. What might be some reasons to NOT choose Bic F12?

I just do not know if I would notice the difference on the F12 over Dayton 1200.

Also thanks for the data on setting to "no". I was really surprised after purchase to hear all the bad reports on Onkyo.

-FL_Speakers

Last edited by FL_Speakers; 07-15-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: removed wireless kit question
FL_Speakers is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Bic F12 includes shipping cost the Dayton Sub-1200 doesn't include the $15 shipping fee

Bic F12 has long been the go to proven to be one of the best subwoofers available under $200. In your shoes I would go with the Bic F12. Its design takes after the design of the Bic H100 which was done by Dr. HSU. The guy who is the head of HSU Subwoofers which are for those that have more money and want more performance

Dayton Sub-1200 looks better than the Bic? I think thats the only reason that would sway me. $40 dollars cheaper...

Onkyo makes decent receivers. They don't make their speakers, they contract that out to an outside company. They aren't a speaker manufacture. Thats why I suggest against their speakers.
GIEGAR likes this.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Bic F12 includes shipping cost the Dayton Sub-1200 doesn't include the $15 shipping fee

Bic F12 has long been the go to proven to be one of the best subwoofers available under $200. In your shoes I would go with the Bic F12. Its design takes after the design of the Bic H100 which was done by Dr. HSU. The guy who is the head of HSU Subwoofers which are for those that have more money and want more performance

Dayton Sub-1200 looks better than the Bic? I think thats the only reason that would sway me. $40 dollars cheaper...

Onkyo makes decent receivers. They don't make their speakers, they contract that out to an outside company. They aren't a speaker manufacture. Thats why I suggest against their speakers.
I went with the BIC F12 from Amazon and used a $50 gift card to soften the sting. Should be here Thursday unless they be lyin'. I will post back when setup and watch a movie or 2.

Thanks again,

FL_Speakers
FL_Speakers is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,443
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Speakers View Post
I went with the BIC F12 from Amazon and used a $50 gift card to soften the sting. Should be here Thursday unless they be lyin'. I will post back when setup and watch a movie or 2.

Thanks again,

FL_Speakers
Cool make sure to re-run Audyssey
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Cool make sure to re-run Audyssey

Amazing difference. One more confirmed happy user of BIC F12.

FL_Speakers
GIEGAR likes this.
FL_Speakers is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Speakers View Post
Amazing difference. One more confirmed happy user of BIC F12.

FL_Speakers
Thanks for reporting back @FL_Speakers and nice work @crazyrob425 .

(I didn't know @dr_hsu did some design for BIC. That's good info.)
GIEGAR is online now  
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off