Speakers and Audio Equipment for New Home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speakers and Audio Equipment for New Home

Building a new home that includes a HT. I'm planning to have it wired for 7.1 sound although my current AVR only does 5.1. I have a budget of $2,000 for new audio equipment. I currently have an AVR and a sub. The rest of my speakers are in-wall so I know I'll need new ones of those but not sure if I should also go for a new AVR and sub. The room is 22'x15'.

Projector - Epson Home Cinema 8100
AVR - Onkyo HT RC-160
Sub - Polk PSW120

I also have a family room that is 18'x18'. I'm going to have it wired for 5.1 sound. I've got a budget of $1200 for an AVR and speakers. If I get a new AVR for the HT, I can just use my existing AVR but if I don't get a new one for the HT, I'll need a new one.

I also need some outdoor speakers for the patio and pool in the back of the house. Probably four of them as the patio is basically off the side of the house so would want two there and two on the back of the house pointed out towards the pool. I have a budget of $800 for the outdoor speakers. I've got a Sonos Amp that I'll be using with those speakers.

What would you suggest for the HT? What about for the family room? What about outdoor speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

anyone with some suggestions?

For media room, it will be about 50/50 for sports and movies. My budget has changed slightly upwards now due to some other new home costs coming down! I've got about 4k to spend on the media room for a new AVR, speakers and a sub.

For the family room, it will be about 80/20 for tv and movies. My budget for that is about 1.5k.

My thinking is to use the AVR I've currently got for the family room and get a nice new 7.1 AVR for the media room.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Living Room: I would put the Onkyo receiver and sub in here, and then just pick up something simple for your living room. This leaves more money for the theater room where you should focus your efforts. I would recommend the Pioneer FS52, C22, and BS22 for the living room. Great budget speakers and you can go hear them at Best Buy. Should run $500 for the 5.0 set. (+$700)

Outside: http://www.nhthifi.com/High-End-Audi...&category=3772 Maybe start with a pair of these initially and add more if you need them. NHT is a very good speaker manufacturer and these would be a good choice for outdoors, they are also available in white. Take the $300 extra and put it towards your theater room. (+$300)

Theater Room: With the extra $1000 from your other rooms, you have $3000 and can do some damage.

www.ascendacoustics.com, they make fantastic speakers and have a huge following here. Hard to beat the performance/dollar, and I think you would be very happy with them. This is the 7.0 system I would recommend:

Add to this a pair of Rythmik LV12R (You get a discount for buying two, and a discount for buying them with Ascend speakers) for $1000, and you have a very good 7.2 system for $2300. This leaves you enough to buy a good receiver, I would recommend this Denon AVR-X2000, it has plenty of power and Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction. This leaves you about $200 to buy speaker wire and cable for everything, www.monoprice.com is a good place to shop.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have a budget of 4k now for the theater plus if I use the extra 1k from the other rooms budget based on your recommendations, would you get different speakers and avr for the theater?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

With $5000 for the theater, yes I would make some changes:

If you have an acoustically transparent screen (Hopefully you do) then get three of these across the front: Chane Theater Ten
These are high efficiency theater speakers that will offer great dynamics and get you reference level sound (at a reasonable distance).

For the surrounds, four of these JBL 8320. They are THX certified and the angled design helps get them pointed at the listeners, good bang for your buck.

With $3000 left, I would focus on a pair of excellent subs, that Denon is still a good option here. Since these are all highly efficient speakers, you won't need a lot of power or external amps to make them loud. You could go with a nicer receiver but the sound quality will not change much (unless you go with Audyssey MultEQ XT 32). Better subs will make more of a difference; I would recommend a pair of the Rythmik FV15HP. These are very impressive subs, you will get down to 14Hz extension, perhaps more depending on your room, and this will provide you with bass you can feel, which really adds a whole new dimension to movie viewing. Their high output will be perfect for your medium/large room, and having the pair means bass is more consistent throughout the room.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't have an AT screen so would you still get the Chane Theater Ten speakers?

Also, isnt the x2000 7.1? How would I run two subs with it? The HT is only wired for 1 sub right now.

Last edited by rgswff3; 07-22-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgswff3 View Post
Thanks. I don't have an AT screen so would you still get the Chane Theater Ten speakers?

Also, isnt the x2000 7.1? How would I run two subs with it? The HT is only wired for 1 sub right now.
You can still use the Theater Ten horizontally, so that still works to go below the screen. You would just need an RCA Y-splitter to connect two subs. Receivers with two sub preouts (.2) simply just have an internal version built-in, there is no difference between them and a Y-splitter (until you get to the high end stuff with stereo sub channels).

Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You can still use the Theater Ten horizontally, so that still works to go below the screen. You would just need an RCA Y-splitter to connect two subs. Receivers with two sub preouts (.2) simply just have an internal version built-in, there is no difference between them and a Y-splitter (until you get to the high end stuff with stereo sub channels).
Great. I do have room on either side of my screen to place the L/R speakers vertically. At some point, I'll probably replace my 16:9 screen with a 2.35:1 screen so maybe I'll do an AT screen then. From the recommendations, it sounds like spending more on good quality subs is a place to focus. Any reason to go with the X3000 over the X2000? Nothing obvious jumps out to me as the difference between the two for a HT.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

How do the sierra towers compare to the chane speakers? Would it be worth it to get the sierra towers and two of the lv12r or would the chane with two of the fv15hp be better?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great. I do have room on either side of my screen to place the L/R speakers vertically. At some point, I'll probably replace my 16:9 screen with a 2.35:1 screen so maybe I'll do an AT screen then. From the recommendations, it sounds like spending more on good quality subs is a place to focus. Any reason to go with the X3000 over the X2000? Nothing obvious jumps out to me as the difference between the two for a HT.
I would stick with the X2000, the only worthwhile upgrade is the X4000 which has a better version of Audyssey.

Quote:
How do the sierra towers compare to the chane speakers? Would it be worth it to get the sierra towers and two of the lv12r or would the chane with two of the fv15hp be better?
The Sierra towers are fantastic, but for a theater I would stick with the Chane Theater Ten. You need a dynamic, high output speaker, and the pair of FV15HP will be considerably better than the LV12R.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Can you wall mount the chane speakers or would I need to get stands for them?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you wall mount the chane speakers or would I need to get stands for them?
Yes you could wall mount them, probably a small shelf to sit them on. Make sure it is in a stud because they are 27lbs each.