Question: speaker volume sounds low - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question: speaker volume sounds low

Not sure if this is the right thread; please advise if not.

I just purchased a Sony STR-DN1040 A/V Receiver. I had previously owned a JVC RX-D702B which I thought had great sound and functionality, but an overheating issue that caused me to send it back to warranty service twice and eventually after a number of years went kaput.

I used Onkyo SKS-HT240 speaker system with the JVC and in general I was happy with them. However, as the JVC aged I found myself having to turn the volume up to get the same volume from the speakers. Eventually I started noticing clips / clicks from the speakers.

I have connected the new receiver (1040) to the same speakers, and it seems like I have to turn it up way more (between 30-40) than I should to hear the right sound output, and I still notice some clicks from the speakers at that volume. It seems like this receiver should be more powerful, so I am assuming it is the speakers that are the problem and that they have probably passed their useful life and have been affected by the previous receiver. Does this sound right?

Would there be tests to confirm this? If I did decide to get new speakers, any recommendations for best set <$500 to go with this receiver in a smallish room?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I would wager you are just asking too much of the speakers, they aren't going to do well with loud volumes, and it's possible they have been damaged from over-powering in the past.

I would take a look at the HSU HB-1 MK2 and HSU HC-1 MK2, these are very good speakers that offer excellent dynamics. They will play louder than you care to listen, and will be a big improvement in sound quality. Your new receiver is a good choice and that will handle whatever you need it to.

Another good choice is the EMP E5Bi and EMP E5Ci, these speakers sound excellent and offer a strong mid-range and great imaging.

Use a pair of your old speakers as surrounds, they don't need to match the new ones and will let you invest in a better front sound stage. You will eventually want a new sub as well, I would hold off and save up for something like the SVS PB-1000.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on my third set of speakers. The same thing is happening to my theater. I thought it was a blown tweeter but when I turn the volume
way up, it seems like the tweeter works. I also thought maybe the crossovers were damaged, by my children when I wasn't home,
or I live in Tampa the lighting capitol of the US, maybe power surges. It just seems that after 2 or 3 years my speakers get worn out. I could be just a mental issue
and I just want to buy new speakers.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Old receivers like the JVC calibrated the volume different from the modern day receivers.
Older receivers would get louder early - and then begin to distort as you continued to
raise the volume louder and on to the max. ( distorted power is not healthy)

Also some JVC receivers had an un-defeatable built in loudness volume control/level.

Newer receivers calibrate the volume different - and will hold some power till you raise
the volume (higher), and some power is also held for the headroom.

Nothing wrong with having to raise the volume higher on the modern receivers. You still
have some power. The Sony can drive a lot of speakers with good power.

However with that said - you could still use a speaker upgrade.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 07-16-2014 at 07:57 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, my Denon at "0" is not actually anywhere near full volume.

And there is a limit to what the inexpensive Onkyo set can do-small, inexpensive woofers can't do miracles. Fine for normal volume, but just not something you can crank way up.

If you hear snap and crackle, the next sound will be POP, so sorry, ya gotta turn it down.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page