Need help with Speaker Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with Speaker Placement

I am in the process of setting up my first 5.1 system. I have decided on Def Tech Pro 800s for front left and right, Def Tech Pro 1000 for center and Def Tech DI 6.5 Rs for rear channels. I need help with finding the optimal placement for the speakers. TV is mounted on the wall above the fireplace.

With respect to the layout below,
1. Would L1 R1 be a better placement compared to L2 R2 for front left and right channels? Since these go on floor stands, I am planning to test both these configurations and see which one I like better, but wanted to ask you guys as well.

2. With respect to the couch, what would be the best rear channel in-ceiling speakers placements? "X"s or "O"s?The L shaped wall next to the couch limits my options. I cannot try both the placements (X and O) and see which one feels better as I dont want to end up with big open holes in my ceiling.

Other placement ideas are welcome as well.

Regards,
Vijay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 19231
fwiw, I would try the l2, r2 configuration with your seating distance. this will give you better soundstage. the only problem I see is the r2 speaker to close to side wall don't want to place speakers in corners. if it can be off side wall about 1 1/2-2 feet slightly toed in will be ok.as for rears I would try the "o" config. with tweeter pointed towards couch. just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I'd have to go r1/l1 and x.

R2 and l2 is corner loading the mains which will give them poor bass. It would also make the stereo image too broad for my tastes but YMMV.

X has some serious advantages over o. Surround speakers should ideally hit the ear close to laterally. This reduces surround sounds from being modified by our pinna and localized and lateral reflections are known to encourage spaciousness. X has a smaller incident angle so it is closer to this ideal. It is also more symmetric with respect to the listening position which is always something to aim for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page