Remodeling Home Theater - please help on speaker choice and location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Remodeling Home Theater - please help on speaker choice and location

I am remodeling an existing home theater room. Currently have 5.1 system driven by Denon AVR (that will be replaced) with Boston VR1 L/R/C and matching Boston sub and Focal Chorus LS/RS (on wall). I haven't decided on which AVR yet, but leaning toward 7.2 system. Can you help me decide whether there is any benefit in going to a 7.2 system, and if so, what rear surround speakers I should purchase and where to locate them? Attached are photos of existing back wall showing location of Focal speakers on side wall. My back row seats are against the rear wall. Also attached is screen view of the layout of new room looking from the screen wall to the rear wall. The center blue box on the rear wall is a placeholder for the projector. The blue boxes on left and right of the rear wall are place holders for the LRS and RRS speakers. These new speakers can be in-wall, on-wall, or mounted in- or on-soffit that will be installed along the ceiling to hold can lights. Thanks for any comments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	166241   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	166249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Room.png
Views:	11
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	166257  

Last edited by sward83; 07-17-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I don't know how much benefit you will have from having rear speakers firing directly into the primary seating position. Rear surrounds are supposed to be ambient in nature and I don't think you will have a good soundstage for rear surrounds. I would focus the budget on a good 5.2 setup (with the .2 being two subwoofers).

Have you already purchased all this gear? Boston is not bad per say, but there are lots of options, especially in regards to subwoofers, that should give you more bang for your buck.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the advise ack_bk. The Bostons are what I have from my current 5.1 set up in the room. As part of the remodel, I intended to buy a couple of rear surrounds and another sub to move up to a 7.2 setup. Replacing all the speakers is not something I can do at this time. But, I could forego the rear surrounds and purchase 2 good subs for my room, if you think that would be a better use of my $$? Any suggestions?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page