in ceiling speakers - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ack_bk

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrow in ceiling speakers

total newbie

I saw in ceiling speakers at my friends place, he bought a new house and the builder put them for him
he has all speakers in the ceiling, one subwoofer lying around the side

I am looking at cheap option - Pyle PDIC80

tell me where to get started, what amp/wires/other things that I need to buy

how do pyle compare to polks etc

I have a single story house, these are for family living room, my tv is on the wall above fireplace, so not much place to put too much stuff there.

Another idea would be use to use newer wireless tech...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If you are trying to do this on the cheap, I would get these for your mains (note $159 is the price for a pair). They can sell you a third one for the center channel as well without having to buy a pair:
http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...iling-speakers

Use these for surrounds and other speakers in the house:
http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-pu...iling-speakers

For a receiver, you just need something entry level.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E200...keywords=denon

I would get your speaker wire at Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Maybe something like this for a subwoofer:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-629

If you can share your budget and expectations we can help you better, but I was assuming you wanted to do this on the cheap.

Last edited by ack_bk; 07-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
If you are trying to do this on the cheap, I would get these for your mains (note $159 is the price for a pair). They can sell you a third one for the center channel as well without having to buy a pair:
http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...iling-speakers

Use these for surrounds and other speakers in the house:
http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-pu...iling-speakers

For a receiver, you just need something entry level.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E200...keywords=denon

I would get your speaker wire at Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Maybe something like this for a subwoofer:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-629

If you can share your budget and expectations we can help you better, but I was assuming you wanted to do this on the cheap.
Hi, I'm actually looking at doing the same thing. I've considered a range of speakers from the pricier Def Tech UIW RCS line, to the Polk RC80i to Micca R-8C... on the cheaper end of things, I've read that the Micca's are better than Polks or Monoprice. How would you say your HD-R65AIM recommendation compares to the Polk, Micca, or Monoprice? Also would you recommend them over Def Tech UIW 83/A?

I'll be using them primarily for music distribution on a floor of house, not for home theatre, so I don't need surrounds. Are angled speakers useful if there's no set focal point?

Thanks!
post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I may need to find an electrician to actually install these, I was hoping to do this cheap, still enjoy movies/songs

not an audiophile at all, only recently I started hearing existence of bass in the songs, haa

some indian music i listen to is low quality in terms of recording (old songs - sometimes as old as 50 yrs)

the room is not big, may be 20x20 ft

just two walls, other two are open, so wall speakers wont work, ceiling would be better

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PDIC80-In.../dp/B00069QMPC

These are super cheap and great reviews, so started from there

Product Features and Technical Details
Size: 8'' | Style: Standard
Product Features
In-Wall / In-Ceiling System - 2-Way Stereo Sound Speakers
Dual 8-inch Speakers - 4-8 Ohm impedance, 1.5-inch High Temperature Voice Coil
Directable 1-inch Titanium Dome Tweeter, 300 Watts Rated Peak Power
Mounts Flush on Walls or Ceilings, Perfect for Custom Installations & Applications
Overall Dimensions: 10 3/4 x 3 1/2 Inch, Cut-Out: 9 3/8 x 3 1/2 Inch
Technical Details
Brand Name: Pyle
Model: PDIC80
Color Name: White
Speaker Type: Ceiling; Wall-Mount
Speaker Amplification Type: Passive
Speakers Maximum Output Power: 300 Watts
Speaker Connectivity: Wired
Height: 9.5 inches
Weight: 1.9 Kilograms
Warranty: 1-year

I know 300 watt is peak, so it may be more like 150

I may not need a subwoofer right now, or I should be able to add it later right?

Just want decent/ok sound, reliable amp, nothing fancy
post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

and how would ceiling speakers system compare to those 200$ sound bars?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkkk View Post
I may need to find an electrician to actually install these, I was hoping to do this cheap, still enjoy movies/songs

not an audiophile at all, only recently I started hearing existence of bass in the songs, haa

some indian music i listen to is low quality in terms of recording (old songs - sometimes as old as 50 yrs)

the room is not big, may be 20x20 ft

just two walls, other two are open, so wall speakers wont work, ceiling would be better

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PDIC80-In.../dp/B00069QMPC

These are super cheap and great reviews, so started from there

I may not need a subwoofer right now, or I should be able to add it later right?

Just want decent/ok sound, reliable amp, nothing fancy

I'm doing some research into the same thing actually.
If I may offer my humble opinion, I'd like to suggest you steer away from Pyle. I've never heard good or decent sound coming out of anything from that brand.

If you wish to go the cheap route, I would recommend considering the MonoPrice line or Micca; polk if you can spend a few extra dollars.

There's a discussion about all three brands here:
Micca Reference series speakers price drop on Amazon

The monoprice ones (4104's I believe) are just barely more than the Pyle's you mentioned, and the Micca Reference R-8C are about $120 for a pair.

I'm actually thinking about getting a pair of the Micca speakers and some more expensive Definitive Tech DI8R speakers (unless someone convinces me otherwise).

Also, definitely consider purchasing a subwoofer. It's the only way you'll fill in the lower frequencies that the ceiling speakers definitely won't.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
Hi, I'm actually looking at doing the same thing. I've considered a range of speakers from the pricier Def Tech UIW RCS line, to the Polk RC80i to Micca R-8C... on the cheaper end of things, I've read that the Micca's are better than Polks or Monoprice. How would you say your HD-R65AIM recommendation compares to the Polk, Micca, or Monoprice? Also would you recommend them over Def Tech UIW 83/A?

I'll be using them primarily for music distribution on a floor of house, not for home theatre, so I don't need surrounds. Are angled speakers useful if there's no set focal point?

Thanks!
I have not heard the Micca speakers, but I helped my next door neighbor install the HD-R65AIM speakers and they are good for the price. I would say better than the Polk's for sure.

If you can budget more money, I would definitely try to step into the UIW RCS line from Dedtech. They are a step above, and are fully enclosed which helps reduce sound bleeding into other walls and will be more dynamic speakers.

I can't speak to the UIW 83, but if I were going to spend more I would try to get the RCS speakers. Check Ebay, you can sometimes find them from reputable dealers for a good price.

This guy has good deals all the time on reconditioned Deftech speakers and I have purchased several speakers from him and they were in perfect condition:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-T...item2c8246cd06
post #8 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I have not heard the Micca speakers, but I helped my next door neighbor install the HD-R65AIM speakers and they are good for the price. I would say better than the Polk's for sure.

If you can budget more money, I would definitely try to step into the UIW RCS line from Dedtech. They are a step above, and are fully enclosed which helps reduce sound bleeding into other walls and will be more dynamic speakers.

I can't speak to the UIW 83, but if I were going to spend more I would try to get the RCS speakers. Check Ebay, you can sometimes find them from reputable dealers for a good price.

This guy has good deals all the time on reconditioned Deftech speakers and I have purchased several speakers from him and they were in perfect condition:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-T...item2c8246cd06

Hi thanks for your advice. I was actually looking at speakers from Bajawaverunner on Ebay.
The RCS line seem more directional though. Their tech (at deftech) actually mentioned that those aren't right for my application and suggested the DI8R, which I'm still considering. I will also give your recommendation a look, too. So many choices.....lol
post #9 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi thanks for your advice. I was actually looking at speakers from Bajawaverunner on Ebay.
The RCS line seem more directional though. Their tech (at deftech) actually mentioned that those aren't right for my application and suggested the DI8R, which I'm still considering. I will also give your recommendation a look, too. So many choices.....lol
Are you using these speakers primarily for movies or music? Is your ceiling sloped at all?
post #10 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Are you using these speakers primarily for movies or music? Is your ceiling sloped at all?
I'm using them for music only. 2 in the living room area, 2 in the kitchen/dining, 2 in the studio/bedroom. And no the ceiling is not sloped.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm using them for music only. 2 in the living room area, 2 in the kitchen/dining, 2 in the studio/bedroom. And no the ceiling is not sloped.
Ah, that explains it, I was thinking this was for home theater. Yes, you definitely don't want the UIW RCS series for that
post #12 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Ah, that explains it, I was thinking this was for home theater. Yes, you definitely don't want the UIW RCS series for that
Ha! Ok, the confusion was starting to set in for a second....lol.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

post #14 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For music these would work great. For home theater, I would not use them. For home theater you want something that is angled to direct the sound towards your listening position (couch/chair) and not to the floor in front of you. These speakers would be okay for surround spoeakers but the AIM65 speakers would be better for left, right, and center front speakers.
HawaiiR likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that link! I bought them for $75 each. Not a bad deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page