Possible replacements for CDM7SE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Possible replacements for CDM7SE

I'm contemplating updating from my B&W CDM7SE speakers, which are pretty awesome. Maybe getting something even better with even more genuine sound reproduction.

I'm looking in the price range of about $2k, which from B&W brings me to CM8 or CM9 with the current sale at Best Buy on the CM9s. I've listened to both models side by side (and not in the open store), and frankly I prefer the CM8. Yes, the CM8 doesn't have the low response of the CM9, but the 9 is just too harsh for my ear and the CM8 seems tighter. I've listened to the MartinLogan Motion 40 and they just sat there, and a couple other brands were really underwhelming

I have few stores to compare these brands side by side. I know I'm asking for trouble by asking for opinions...but would the CM8 overall be an improvement over the CDM7SE, since I can't compare them side by side, in the same room, same amp, etc? Hard to compare on paper with specs separated by almost 20 years. I'm sure testing methods and their accuracy have changed.

I'm not concerned about driving them, and choose to bi-amp as well for whatever that's worth. I don't welcome B&W bashing, but suggestions of similarly priced alternatives are welcome. I'm looking for a speaker to be faithful to the recording (especially music) and don't have a need for excessive bass. I'd like to feel like I'm at the performance, but within a budget of ~$2k per pair....

Mostly I'm curious what would be an improvement to the CDM7SE speakers, if any at this price point? Maybe something from PMC?

Hope this all makes sense. It's late, and I'm trying to jot down my thoughts here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqbauer View Post
I'm contemplating updating from my B&W CDM7SE speakers, which are pretty awesome. Maybe getting something even better with even more genuine sound reproduction.

I'm looking in the price range of about $2k, which from B&W brings me to CM8 or CM9 with the current sale at Best Buy on the CM9s. I've listened to both models side by side (and not in the open store), and frankly I prefer the CM8. Yes, the CM8 doesn't have the low response of the CM9, but the 9 is just too harsh for my ear and the CM8 seems tighter. I've listened to the MartinLogan Motion 40 and they just sat there, and a couple other brands were really underwhelming

I have few stores to compare these brands side by side. I know I'm asking for trouble by asking for opinions...but would the CM8 overall be an improvement over the CDM7SE, since I can't compare them side by side, in the same room, same amp, etc? Hard to compare on paper with specs separated by almost 20 years. I'm sure testing methods and their accuracy have changed.

I'm not concerned about driving them, and choose to bi-amp as well for whatever that's worth. I don't welcome B&W bashing, but suggestions of similarly priced alternatives are welcome. I'm looking for a speaker to be faithful to the recording (especially music) and don't have a need for excessive bass. I'd like to feel like I'm at the performance, but within a budget of ~$2k per pair....

Mostly I'm curious what would be an improvement to the CDM7SE speakers, if any at this price point? Maybe something from PMC?

Hope this all makes sense. It's late, and I'm trying to jot down my thoughts here.
Get a good return policy. Buy them. Take them home. Try them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page