SVS Speakers to upgrade over Paradigm Mini Monitor V6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cinemafreak1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SVS Speakers to upgrade over Paradigm Mini Monitor V6

Hello,

Some cash to upgrade has reached my evil hands.

Currently have Mini Monitor V6 LR and CC390 Center v6. No Rears. SVS PB2000 Sub. Was thinking of selling the speakers.

And buying the SVS Speakers, Center and rears.

Anyone have the SVS Speakers? Any better options at that price?

How much do I sell the Paradigm LRC for?

Thanks!
Cinemafreak1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Member
 
SmithandWesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I own the Ultra Towers and love them. They measure very well and sound fantastic. I use mine for TV, music and movies. Which speakers models specifically are you looking at?

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Yamaha RX-A740 Aventage. 125dB @30hz, 16hz @ -3dB
Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX
Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
SmithandWesson is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,122
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I wouldn't think the SVS speakers are a big enough upgrade to be worth it over Paradigm monitors. If you are going to spend money, make the upgrade more tangible. Make the upgrade your destination system. I would go for something like KEF LS50s, Funk 6.1s, and so on. Just save your money and go straight for the top, get off the upgrade merry-go-round now, it will save you money in the long run.
shadyJ is online now  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cinemafreak1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post
I own the Ultra Towers and love them. They measure very well and sound fantastic. I use mine for TV, music and movies. Which speakers models specifically are you looking at?
Was looking at the towers, not the bookshelfs.
Cinemafreak1 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Cinemafreak1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I wouldn't think the SVS speakers are a big enough upgrade to be worth it over Paradigm monitors. If you are going to spend money, make the upgrade more tangible. Make the upgrade your destination system. I would go for something like KEF LS50s, Funk 6.1s, and so on. Just save your money and go straight for the top, get off the upgrade merry-go-round now, it will save you money in the long run.
Even if I am looking at the SVS Ultra Towers? Am thinking around 1700-2k for fronts. Move the Mini to rear and hold the cc390 center for now. Or as you state, hold off and buy whole package at once. If that is the case I figure...maybe 4500 total next year I could gather...will that get me to the destination system? IF so recommendations?
Cinemafreak1 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Member
 
SmithandWesson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I haven't heard any of the other speakers you mentioned, but I can tell you a few things about the Ultras. You can check out my review here, it's a bit old and I've gained more knowledge since then. Review: SVS Ultra Towers(Now with pics!)

As far as bass goes, they dig deep. Your probably not going to find anything that comes close. In my room I measured them and found they have a -3db point of 27hz! The quality of the bass is also superb. Very tight. To me they image pretty well, they produce a fantastic phantom center that fools many people. I don't even run a center channel anymore. I went to go audition some B&W 804s, 803s, and 802 among other very expensive towers. When I got home my Ultras didn't disappoint me. The Ultras are not the best speaker ever made but they are good enough to hold back my upgradatitis for years to come.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Yamaha RX-A740 Aventage. 125dB @30hz, 16hz @ -3dB
Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX
Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
SmithandWesson is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post
I haven't heard any of the other speakers you mentioned, but I can tell you a few things about the Ultras. You can check out my review here, it's a bit old and I've gained more knowledge since then. Review: SVS Ultra Towers(Now with pics!)

As far as bass goes, they dig deep. Your probably not going to find anything that comes close. In my room I measured them and found they have a -3db point of 27hz! The quality of the bass is also superb. Very tight. To me they image pretty well, they produce a fantastic phantom center that fools many people. I don't even run a center channel anymore. I went to go audition some B&W 804s, 803s, and 802 among other very expensive towers. When I got home my Ultras didn't disappoint me. The Ultras are not the best speaker ever made but they are good enough to hold back my upgradatitis for years to come.
very well said, my sentiments exactly.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,122
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemafreak1 View Post
Even if I am looking at the SVS Ultra Towers? Am thinking around 1700-2k for fronts. Move the Mini to rear and hold the cc390 center for now. Or as you state, hold off and buy whole package at once. If that is the case I figure...maybe 4500 total next year I could gather...will that get me to the destination system? IF so recommendations?
The SVS speakers look to be quite good, but the Paradigm mini monitors are not bad at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the SVS speakers are better, but I'm not sure they would be a night and day difference. The towers would be a waste of money if you already have some good subwoofers, supposedly the strong point of the SVS towers is their bass extension which is no surprise, but that would go unused in a system with subwoofers. I would go for bookshelf speakers, and ones that are without a doubt a serious upgrade. Some recommendations: the aforementioned Funk 6.1s, or some Soundfield Monitor 2s. Both those speakers promise to be both accurate and with wide dynamic range. If WAF is not as big of a factor, I would also look at some JTR Single 8s or some Pi Threes with upgraded drivers. Both of those promise huge dynamic range to honest-to-god THX reference levels, with the Pi Threes sporting very good impedance and axial response measurements for good accuracy. However, with speakers like the Pi and JTR, you would want to upgrade your sub to something which can keep up with their dynamic range. Even the Funk and Soundfield speakers could probably outpace the SVS sub, so I would upgrade with those as well, either by adding another one or getting something more powerful.
shadyJ is online now  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off