Vancouver Summertime GTG Results - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #61 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What we have found with the 8.2.P and 6.1.P is that the 8.2.P "do" sound slightly better(our goal was for them to have very similar sound, very accurate and non fatiguing) but, the 8.2.P are more sensative to setup, and especially in a smaller room to get the setup right is more difficult. Whereas the 6.1.P's so far in every room we have had them in you seem to be able to just throw them in and they sound awesome, even in small rooms that can be difficult to get speakers setup. Obviously the 8.2.P's have more output capability than the 6.1.P's, but as it was even they had a fair bit left in them from the levels we had going.

If there had been more time we could have tried the 8.2.P's in some other locations and been able to really show what they can do, but I did not want to hog everyone's time.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I used pre assembled cross overs straight from Eric's site.

I used the included wire and correctly installed each component to each spot on the board ( hi-low).

I used denim insulation to line the top part of the cabinet and 2/3 down the bottom of the cabinet. I then checked this with bagby and got the ok.

I used a thicker piece of 3/4 mdf then the stuff Eric ships out with his flat pack.

I think once tux ran the impedance test the results would show, electric side, whether there were any bad connections. All three speakers met bagbys design as far as the impedance test was concerned. Tux once again thanks for lugging those around for me.

I thought they were a little bright compared to everyone elses. I also really liked the 1099. Alot.

Ps thanks laura brown for letting everyone come over.
post #63 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Some pics from the day

Nice photo quality eh? /endsarcasm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0202.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	172082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0201.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	172090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0207.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	172098  

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #64 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
After my ears settled down last night, I listened to my alpha minions with the same music clips for 20 minutes. Its all relative. Before the gtg i thought my minions sounded pretty damn good for those clips. hearing them again I realized that there were not even close to the funks,jtr,1099. The tempest was significantly better then the minions. If we had a gtg at my place with the tempests, say some entry b&w speakers, polks, we would be raving about the tempests. As Ryan said the tempests were in a tough field. I think if 100 people were at the event the large majority would put the 1099 and the jtr above the tempests.

i don't mean to give Warren a hard time (sorry if I made you feel bad) but if the tempests were mine I would have said the same thing. My fusion 8 mtm has now been rendered obsolete. I will be having all 1099's up front.

I honestly didn't think that the 1099 would be that good. Nothing against Ryan but I just didn't expect a guy (any guy) from the island to be able to create a speaker that makes commercial offerings under 2k look silly. I think he could drop his dayjob, make an id company and make tonnes. If I had lots of dough I would fund the startup and travel to gtg around North America and take orders.
post #65 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Gamma corrected. Little better
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	172154  
post #66 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
What CD is used in the 1099 ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #67 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 657
It's the DNA-205. I'm gonna release a resistor chance option for people who found them a bit bright. I'm gonna cut 1db across the top end as an option. The kit won't chance. But if you like a laid back sound I'll have a $1 resistor you can change to get it. If able to cross fire, like an exciting/snappy sound, or behind an AT screen I'd still suggest the original resistor. Only change if you already know you like it more laid back and listen loud kind of thing.

Thanks for all the feedback on both my speakers. It helps improve them, like the above optional resistor to come

Thanks Donny. Let me know if you wanna get into business together. I suck at marketing and you seem pretty fit for the job
post #68 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
I honestly didn't think that the 1099 would be that good. Nothing against Ryan but I just didn't expect a guy (any guy) from the island to be able to create a speaker that makes commercial offerings under 2k look silly. I think he could drop his dayjob, make an id company and make tonnes. If I had lots of dough I would fund the startup and travel to gtg around North America and take orders.
Imagine how the higher end models will sound! Or non DIY models for that matter.

Okay, maybe I'm kidding.....maybe.
chalugadp likes this.
post #69 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking of something like using these for mids

The ae tdm6 with 15" seos. Then a pair of 12" on top/bottom. What do you think Ryan ? The price would zoom up to 900$ each but be a killer.
post #70 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
It's the DNA-205. I'm gonna release a resistor chance option for people who found them a bit bright. I'm gonna cut 1db across the top end as an option. The kit won't chance. But if you like a laid back sound I'll have a $1 resistor you can change to get it. If able to cross fire, like an exciting/snappy sound, or behind an AT screen I'd still suggest the original resistor. Only change if you already know you like it more laid back and listen loud kind of thing.

Thanks for all the feedback on both my speakers. It helps improve them, like the above optional resistor to come

Thanks Donny. Let me know if you wanna get into business together. I suck at marketing and you seem pretty fit for the job
From all accounts, the 1009s are some very special speakers. You should be very proud, Tux. Looks like I am going to upgrade from my Tempests and get some LCR 1099s.
post #71 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Each cabinet had a single window style brace in it with a double front baffle. All pieces were cut on a CNC and the inside of the box was only lined with denim insulation not stuffed with insulation.

I lined mine with 1 1/2" of egg crate foam. Jeff strongly suggested that i stuff around the waveguide with dacron.....not overstuff but put a decent amount in. Also he suggested putting dacron loose where the woofer was.

I played mine without the dacron originally, and per Jeff's suggestion added the fill and it sounded better to me. I was fine either way and would have switched back if I had not preferred it.

I think the next get together will help to make a clearer separation. The past few GTG's I've read have stated the JTR 228 and Tempests for movies were nearly the same. This GTG seemed to indicate they were not that close. Perhaps Gorrilla or others at those GTG's could comment on the 228 to Tempest. If they state that for movies there was a good deal of difference it would match what was seen in BC

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #72 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
Some pics from the day

Nice photo quality eh? /endsarcasm.

Is this the 1099? Nice!

I have heard the Tempests in my room and I really liked them, I found them to be a step up from my old eD Cinema 12's and a step down from the 228's so I'm not surprised with the impressions.

How much is the 1099? If I remember right the Tempest is 300 per speaker?

Sounds like you guys had a blast!
jbrown15 likes this.
post #73 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I lined mine with 1 1/2" of egg crate foam. Jeff strongly suggested that i stuff around the waveguide with dacron.....not overstuff but put a decent amount in. Also he suggested putting dacron loose where the woofer was.

I played mine without the dacron originally, and per Jeff's suggestion added the fill and it sounded better to me. I was fine either way and would have switched back if I had not preferred it.

I think the next get together will help to make a clearer separation. The past few GTG's I've read have stated the JTR 228 and Tempests for movies were nearly the same. This GTG seemed to indicate they were not that close. Perhaps Gorrilla or others at those GTG's could comment on the 228 to Tempest. If they state that for movies there was a good deal of difference it would match what was seen in BC
Warren built the tempest to bagbys specs. He contacted Jeff and followed his instructions. ( I didn't know this until reading his earlier post) I don't need to have another hearing of the tempest then. Warrens build skills are top notch. If there was a defective component it would have shown up in Ryan's measurement.
post #74 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Is this the 1099? Nice!

I have heard the Tempests in my room and I really liked them, I found them to be a step up from my old eD Cinema 12's and a step down from the 228's so I'm not surprised with the impressions.

How much is the 1099? If I remember right the Tempest is 300 per speaker?

Sounds like you guys had a blast!
I think they were basically $380 and that flat pack for the cabinets is $69.
post #75 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have to agree with most things posted already. The small Funk's were great for music, especially with the Funk sub. That sub was nearly a perfect match with all the speakers actually.

The 1099's which I had at my place before the GTG were excellent for movies and I still loved them for music too. A little more forward but that is what I prefer for everything. To me that makes it appear more like the performer is in the room, but that's just me.

The JTR 228's I thought were very good also. Very close to the 1099's but I would take the 1099's. Just a little more you are there.

The Tempest did have something funny going on like has been said. Would like to find out what eventually.

The Tux Dual 12 was also a favorite but more listening is needed to confirm. It was slightly bright but like I said I like that type of sound since most of my listening is at lower levels typically so a slight treble boost is my preference.
post #76 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony, I think it's safe to say there wasn't anything off with the Tempest. We've confirmed a few things with Warren's comments and Ryan was able to take a few measurements that didn't show any issues with the speakers.
post #77 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post
I have to agree with most things posted already. The small Funk's were great for music, especially with the Funk sub. That sub was nearly a perfect match with all the speakers actually.

The 1099's which I had at my place before the GTG were excellent for movies and I still loved them for music too. A little more forward but that is what I prefer for everything. To me that makes it appear more like the performer is in the room, but that's just me.

The JTR 228's I thought were very good also. Very close to the 1099's but I would take the 1099's. Just a little more you are there.

The Tempest did have something funny going on like has been said. Would like to find out what eventually.

The Tux Dual 12 was also a favorite but more listening is needed to confirm. It was slightly bright but like I said I like that type of sound since most of my listening is at lower levels typically so a slight treble boost is my preference.
it was great meeting you tyee. a real classy dude and audio enthusiast. I know the price is crazy but that funk sub was awesome hey ! I listen to my sub and want the funk. Nathan is a sub maestro.
post #78 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM

Nice to meet you to chalugadp! You were so busy writing your notes, very professional! I think we have similar likes for speakers.

Ok Joe, I guess the Tempest is just that way and it's competition was very very good. It is what it is.
post #79 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I never did comment on the subs.

Ya, 100% agree. That Funk sub was extremely clean and powerful. Soooo wish we could have given it a proper setup to the room as seat to seat variance was high. Totally a room thing cause when I sat next to Nathan a few times in the NF of that sub, you could tell the FR is very linear. Clean clean clean. Flexed the drywall thoroughly also. If I could hear that sub with an hour of implementation (Nathan literally had no time, just stuck it in an open spot and turned it on) I think I could have said that's the best bass I've ever hear. Two 18s sounded like 4.

The Marty??? Cubes??? With the UXL18 were quite good. Even me, a sealed nut, was very impressed with how deep it went. I was a little baffled actually, then remembered his measurements, and in room they are hitting 12 hz. That's about what we experienced. I don't think Joe will ever miss much ULF that a sealed setup would provide. Easily felt down into my darier. No hint of cab vibes or resonance, so Kudos to a build well done Donny and Joe. Probably the best ported I've ever heard.

Ha, two of the best sub systems I've ever heard, one of them probably THE best. Congrats to both Nathan and Joe having such nice setups. Astounding.
Mfusick likes this.
post #80 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have to again with Ryan on the Funk 18.2 that Nathan brought out, that is the sweetest sealed sub that I've ever heard. It's definitely out of my budget at even the sale price of $8500. But let me tell you, if I won't the lotto I'd be on the phone with Nathan to order two of them so fast your head would spin!

Those are absolutely the top of the food chain drivers. We had a chance to talk to Nathan a little about them and there design and to say that they are impressive is the understatement of the year.

Thanks again to Nathan for bringing that monster sub out because I would have never believed what it could do unless I experienced it first hand.

@Ryan , please don't call my subs a "Marty".....lol

They are LTD-M18's .....LOL
post #81 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to mention how nice the pros were in answering our questions. Ryan and Nathan must have answered a dozen questions from me.

Yeah Joe the sideways port totally changes it from a Marty.

Oh here is an impedance graph of the tempest and jtrs.
post #82 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 PM

Here is a few photos -

I had to play with the shadows to bring out the beautiful Funk speaker grain.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image00001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	172610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00003.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	172618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00004.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	172626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00005.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	172634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00006.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	172642  

Name:	Image00007.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	172650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00008.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	172658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00009.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	172666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00011.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	172674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image00012.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	172682  

Name:	Image00010.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	172690  

Last edited by tyee; 07-20-2014 at 09:58 PM.
post #83 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony, that didn't work....lol
All I see is X's...lol

Send me a pm if you need help loading pictures.
post #84 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What wood finish is that on the Funk's? Really is outstanding looking.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4520CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #85 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
What wood finish is that on the Funk's? Really is outstanding looking.
The finish was just a clear lacquer. Nothing special. This is there demo model so its been lugged around and beat up a bit. The veneer on it was nice. They have a big shaper to do the rounded corners and a vacuum press to put on the veneer.
post #86 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh interesting story that the funk guys told me. They went to Rocky mountain fest last year and had there best speakers hooked up to a 1k amp with 20$ cables. Right beside the amp there was a 30 k tube amp with 1 k cables. This audiophile came into there booth and thought they had it hooked up to the pricey equipment. He went on for five minutes on how it sounded so transparent and amazing with the expensive stuff. Once he left they busted a gut
post #87 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
The finish was just a clear lacquer. Nothing special. This is there demo model so its been lugged around and beat up a bit. The veneer on it was nice. They have a big shaper to do the rounded corners and a vacuum press to put on the veneer.
I guess I meant what wood veneer is that. Oak burl or something?

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4520CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #88 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I guess I meant what wood veneer is that. Oak burl or something?
Yes they love burl veneer. The speakers had some maple burl and I'm not sure about the sub. Beautiful work. I asked about his shop setup and it sounds sweet.
post #89 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the bigger speakers were bubinga with a quilt pattern. Not sure about the smaller ones or the subs.

We're really nice looking. TOTL.
post #90 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 PM

I have been toying with the idea about a Bubinga quarter sawn veneer for the 1099's, since I will have them in my living room. Just have to get up enough courage to order it and stop looking at the price.

Reply Speakers