post #91 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have been toying with the idea about a Bubinga quarter sawn veneer for the 1099's, since I will have them in my living room. Just have to get up enough courage to order it and stop looking at the price.
I love bubinga. go for it, it will be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To answer any questions about the stuffing. You will note that the speaker terminal is almost at the bottom and the position of the stuffing in regards to it. These were the same pictures, I believe ,I shared with Mr. Bagby who was alot of help.

I will be happy to take the speaker woofer and compression driver out at a later date with Jbrown to investigate any problems that may be still lingering. I had built the speaker with removal able t nuts and inserts to be able to remove components in the future without damaging the MDF.

You can see the details of my construction process here: Fusion 15 Sentinel or Alpha 12 Zephyr or Fusion 12 Tempest The build starts after my post with the receipt from DIY Sound Group

I hope this helps some of the people with lingering questions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	172746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0111.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	172754   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0109.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	172762   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0108.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	172770  

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #93 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I uploaded the full drum balls clip to the google site
https://sites.google.com/site/joesgtg/

its under movies area. You can download it. crank it and enjoy.

Oh Warren if you want some clips then just stop by and you can copy anything I have on my hard drive. Have tonnes of kids movies you will need in a few years
post #94 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Donny I don't know why but that was my favorite clip of the entire playlist.....lol
post #95 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
I uploaded the full drum balls clip to the google site
https://sites.google.com/site/joesgtg/

its under movies area. You can download it. crank it and enjoy.

Oh Warren if you want some clips then just stop by and you can copy anything I have on my hard drive. Have tonnes of kids movies you will need in a few years
Ill be over tomorrow. I have a wife that wants them now. Happy wife happy _ _ _ _

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
post #96 of 308 Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
Ill be over tomorrow. I have a wife that wants them now. Happy wife happy _ _ _ _
I am going down to states to pick up my Dayton driver in morning. text me in afternoon and will meet up.
post #97 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Awesome read here, guys! It sounds like everyone had a good time!
Chalugadp, I'm excited to hear that you've got your heart set on the 1099's. Just having the center so far, it is astonishing! It brings so much intensity to material that I've heard 100 times. Downright scary clarity. Can't wait to get my fronts started!
Make sure to let us know when you've ordered and I'll be looking forward to your build thread.

Tuxedocivic, once again, congratulations on such an outstanding accomplishment with the 1099's. If you and Donny get this "business" started, I'd be glad to be your East coast stateside distributor!
post #98 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Dts dig, I gotta check your thread. It's been a while. Didn't know you had the center up and running. Nice.
post #99 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Can ask specifically about output ? How does the speakers compare at "loud" listening levels and which goes the loudest before it begins to protest or show distortion or compression ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #100 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Guess I should have waited for the 1099's... never saw them in stock though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #101 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Can ask specifically about output ? How does the speakers compare at "loud" listening levels and which goes the loudest before it begins to protest or show distortion or compression ?
I have had my 1099s pumping at 105db to 110db and they sound unreal. I imagine that is loud enough for anyone sitting in the room. I was shocked at the levels because it didn't seem that loud.

They get better the louder you listen!
Mfusick likes this.
post #102 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure we really maxed out any of the speakers other than I thought the little Funks were struggling. Those have a small woofer (6"??) and I don't think their purpose is to do big HT sound. They were more than half the size of anything there.

We also used a 100hz XO, which I think was to level the playing field among the smaller speakers. For instance, my dual 12" would have just skipped along with a 60hz XO at nutso volume, but would have been below the tuning of the 228HTs, near the tuning of the 1099s, and probably caused a lot of distortion in the little Funks. The bigger Funks probably could have handled a lower XO as I think he said they're tuned quite low actually and the woofers seemed meaty. Tempest can cross low and loud as far as I can tell.
post #103 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am doing a dedicated build in a big space 36' x 25' - and looking for great output. 1099 is on my list so wondering how it compares to others. Especially fusion 12. I have a pair of fusion 8 by same designer that I like a lot, and I imagine the Fusion12 to be like them but bigger/louder. So I was hoping to get an understanding how the 1099 stacks up in output. It obviously has amazing sound!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #104 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Donny could probably answer that best. He also owns Fusion 8s. Hmm, maybe just his center, can't remember. He has heard the Tempest a fair amount I think also.
Mfusick likes this.
post #105 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I am doing a dedicated build in a big space 36' x 25' - and looking for great output. 1099 is on my list so wondering how it compares to others. Especially fusion 12. I have a pair of fusion 8 by same designer that I like a lot, and I imagine the Fusion12 to be like them but bigger/louder. So I was hoping to get an understanding how the 1099 stacks up in output. It obviously has amazing sound!
I have pair of Tempests and built the Fusion 8's for a friend. The Tempest is louder/more efficient, has a wider sound stage/bigger sweet spot as well as a ton more mid-bass.

I have/had the Fusion 8's, Tempest, Cinema-88 and the 10-Volt coaxials and like the Tempest the best.
Mfusick likes this.
post #106 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Both the tempest and the 1099 will keep getting louder while your ears give it out. My style of music is two fold. I like songs with great voices to me like fun, holly cole, bruno mars, etc. I also like aggressive guitars so acdc, mettalica, gnr, etc.

Its been hard to find one speaker that can do both really well. When I look at clean detailed midrange you think of speakers like funk,phils, noesis 212, seaton catalyst, danley, etc. Those have 5-8 inch midrange (212 has cd kicking in around 400hz). I haven't seen a speaker with a 12" midrange driver that is noted for being super clean midrange. I have never heard aetdm12 but I am biased to the smaller midrange driver for music midrange.

the 1099 was cleaner in the midrange then the tempest,yet had more edge to guitars and drums. Real snap and dynamics. For some it may be too much, those who really like the laid back sound. For me the 1099 is significantly better then the tempest because it meets my needs. As for you I don't know.... I hope that helps a bit.
post #107 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 1099 sounds ideal to me because I find my fusion 8 just a tad too reserved and I boost the treble just a bit to compensate for my just under average hearing. The comments about 1099 bring bright makes it seem perfect for me. My reaction when ryan said something about the resistor to knock 1db off the top range was " I would never do that". I do love my fusion 8 and for the size the dynamics and output are amazing but if the 1099 is all that plus some and a bit brighter it sounds like the perfect speaker for me.

-

post #108 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like movies first (hence dedicated new construction theater) and for music I like country/jimmy buffet stuff and heavy metal hard rock, perhaps a bit of top 40. I've long been a metal head so AC/DC, Gn'R, Metallica, Ozzy stuff is always been a favorite but as I've gotten older I have discovered I like stuff like Zac Brown and all that island and country music I hear on beach bars on vacation. My wife like top 40 and one out of every 10 songs also catches my ear. I'm pretty easy going with music but I've played in a band and played guitar and drums and bass for years so I like rock and real live music a lot. I'm less into electronic drums.

I actually built my fusion 8 as beater speakers for garage and to use while I build my house and theater.

-

post #109 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
I like movies first (hence dedicated new construction theater) and for music I like country/jimmy buffet stuff ............
Now you're talking.......

BTW, if you like bright speakers and keep treble elevated...........invest now in an ear horn! You'll need it in twenty years time!

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #110 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Now you're talking.......

I must be getting old I like the same music as my dad

We do like to vacation and live the summer fun, beach life. Boating, beaches, drinking etc.. My dad has a vacation home on the ocean in Maderia Beach (clearwater FL / Tampa area) and it's all rubbed off on me. Zac Brown, Jimmy buffet, Kenny Chesney stuff... and a little bit of island music too. It all goes well with Pirates and rum and all that... (I like pirates and rum too )

I'm pretty open musically these days. But this kind of music is just fun to chill and have a beer. That's something I like.

-

post #111 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 897
I think one of the biggest things that we can take away from this GTG is that the 1099's are totally legit! and worth all of the praise that Fatshaft proclaimed about them while standing on his soup box shouting at the top of his lungs!....lol

To that Ryan I say well done sir, well done! I think you should feel extremely proud of the speaker that you designed.

Oh and I hope that everyone enjoyed experiencing my quad ported subs as much as I did, even if they are total over kill for a 1800cubic/ft room!....lol
It means a lot to me to read Ryan say that they are some of the best ported subs that he's heard, that comment really hit home with what I've been able to do in my home theater setup. So a big thanks to LTD02 for helping come up with the design and thanks to Donny and Warren for helping me build them.
post #112 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I think one of the biggest things that we can take away from this GTG is that the 1099's are totally legit! and worth all of the praise that Fatshaft proclaimed about them while standing on his soup box shouting at the top of his lungs!....lol

That's right, I remember that - way to go FS!!

Oh yeah, haha, and you too Tux.

I gotta hear these.
Mfusick likes this.

post #113 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post
To answer any questions about the stuffing. You will note that the speaker terminal is almost at the bottom and the position of the stuffing in regards to it. These were the same pictures, I believe ,I shared with Mr. Bagby who was alot of help.

I will be happy to take the speaker woofer and compression driver out at a later date with Jbrown to investigate any problems that may be still lingering. I had built the speaker with removal able t nuts and inserts to be able to remove components in the future without damaging the MDF.

You can see the details of my construction process here: Fusion 15 Sentinel or Alpha 12 Zephyr or Fusion 12 Tempest The build starts after my post with the receipt from DIY Sound Group

I hope this helps some of the people with lingering questions.

What does the 1099 look like inside? Denim behind 2/3rds of it?

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #114 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Both the tempest and the 1099 will keep getting louder while your ears give it out. My style of music is two fold. I like songs with great voices to me like fun, holly cole, bruno mars, etc. I also like aggressive guitars so acdc, mettalica, gnr, etc.

Its been hard to find one speaker that can do both really well. When I look at clean detailed midrange you think of speakers like funk,phils, noesis 212, seaton catalyst, danley, etc. Those have 5-8 inch midrange (212 has cd kicking in around 400hz). I haven't seen a speaker with a 12" midrange driver that is noted for being super clean midrange. I have never heard aetdm12 but I am biased to the smaller midrange driver for music midrange.

the 1099 was cleaner in the midrange then the tempest,yet had more edge to guitars and drums. Real snap and dynamics. For some it may be too much, those who really like the laid back sound. For me the 1099 is significantly better then the tempest because it meets my needs. As for you I don't know.... I hope that helps a bit.
I've recommended the 1099's to my friend who is replacing his speakers. Only issue is that they sell out too quickly on Erich.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

post #115 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I've recommended the 1099's to my friend who is replacing his speakers. Only issue is that they sell out too quickly on Erich.
Probably sell off quicker after this GTG and the news gets out.

-

post #116 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked Ryan if the 1099 would run out of parts if I waited a couple months to be able to buy a pair ( cash flow). He said Erich has lots of drivers and no worries about it becoming extinct ( the midrange is being discontinued). I'll just have to hit refresh a lot when I'm able to buy.

Maybe we should have said the 1099 is awful and then they would be able to buy easier
Mfusick likes this.
post #117 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What mid range is being discontinued or does it use ?

The success of this model makes me want a 1299 or 1599 so bad! But as Ryan has explained to me well the design of such a thing is no small thing.

a 1599 with a premium woofer would be an awesome product for the alpha line. I'm not sure it's possible to calculate the amount of ass it might kick.
Reddig likes this.

-

post #118 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Last edited by Jeff in Canada; 07-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #119 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The tricky part is the side by side woofers. The 1099 was almost a failure because of them. And based on the work Matt and Jeff had to do on the AE 6" and Cinema 88 respectively, doing a 1299 or 1599 would be even more difficult. They require very low tweeter cross overs as you go bigger. And the driver layout causes a weird hole in the response of the mids. I helped Matt find that problem when he did the AE 6". Not sure he was expecting to have to deal with that.

I'd be tempted to try 3 x 5" drivers under a SEOS 15 to see if that could help. Crossed around 900hz. But other priorities for me.
post #120 of 308 Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
General rambling and uneducated observations

First, for about the tenth time, I really want to thank Joe for opening his doors to us complete strangers. I'm in my own little audio-video bubble out here in Kelowna and it was a great opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and audition some equipment. I would have liked to talk to more of you about your systems, but time was tight.

Though listening to the various speakers was interesting my real goal was to experience a serious home theater. In that respect I was disappointed to find that Joe's was in pieces. I am at a cross roads with my current setup, and taking the next jump forward is going to require a complete rebuild. Even though I didn't get the full "show" so to speak, I was able to experience enough of the parts that I can answer the question "Will it be worth it?" with a resounding "YES!". Just like Donny, I came home and played one of the clips through my own system and had a rude awakening. My standard has been reset. The get together was very much worth the trip and a great start to a week of holidays.

A few random comments:
- Joe was unhappy that his sound treatment panels had not yet arrived, but from what I heard I don't think the room lacks absorption. Maybe the dozen sweaty guys were soaking up the reflections, with a few of us middle-agers absorbing more than our fair share.
- I agree with Ryan when he said that the bass response was all over the map depending on seat location. Though I cut out before hearing Joe's amazing sub-system, if it were my room I would slide each of those monster cabinets into one of the four corners, even if it sacrificed a back row seat or two.
- There was general agreement on each of the speakers, but above all else this was a casual listening evaluation. No pink noise level matching, no A/B switching and certainly no blind anything. Even the sub level varied widely between the different sessions. Deep bass shook the room during the Funk Audio demo's but barely hit for the 1099's. Even after a little bump I thought it needed more sub, and I'm sure Ryan agreed. (Not a criticism, I just think it is important to understand the conditions when reviewing the results.)
- I was surprised to find that several of the group were not avid movie fans. I think it is often the case that the equipment and build becomes the passion, not so much enjoying the end result. Maybe it is a personal character flaw that I can sit totally absorbed for hours watching a movie for the umpteenth time. Each to their own.
- I would like to thank C2K for giving me a quick demo of his own system before heading off to Joe's. Basic but impressive.
- Everyone there was friendly and polite. Donny made me bust a gut about three times with his not so subtle one liners and innuendo's. It was like spending the day with my teenage sons. Oh yeah, and his playlist was pretty much spot on as well.

On with my observations. It may seem like I'm parroting some of the great posts before me, but not the case. I left after the JTR's (wish I would have stayed a little longer to hear Joe's subs unleashed) and drove to meet my family who were camping in the cell-service-free hills above Kamloops. I had two days sitting on the deck of my summer shack drinking Sleeman's Cream Ale (girly beer) to solidify my thoughts.

FunkAudio 18.2 sub - Holy crap! My previous reference point is somewhat limited, but even a non-believer knows when he's been smited by the hand of God. During LOTR, Return of the King the Oliphant foot steps (yes, for those two of you who have never seen the movie that is the correct spelling) made my entire chair jump, as if the concrete foundation had moved.

FunkAudio 8's - Not sure what the problem was, but when you start checking the processor because it sounds like you are missing center channel information during stereo playback something is wrong. It wasn't the electronics.

FunkAudio 6's - A silky smooth, articulate presentation for each of the music selections. While not laid back, they were blissfully incapable of playing a single harsh or strident note. They held their own for the movie clips in stereo, but I would be concerned about dynamics if using a single as a center channel.

1099's - A big forward sound, just a hair aggressive for my taste, but easily tweaked to perfection I'm sure. The upper mid-range attack was likely made even more apparent after coming directly from the super-smooth FunkAudio's. I enjoyed the clean mid-bass that blended well with the sub, though sub level could have been set about 3db hotter.

JTR's - I was surprised at how right these sounded with music. In the middle of the Rihanna track I stopped analyzing and just enjoyed. Then during the movie clips I was snapped out of it with a thought that the mid-bass seemed a tad full. A minor and fleeting observation.

Would like to hear a direct switching A/B level matched comparison between the 1099's with the resistor mod and the JTR's. I'm sure with a little EQ the two could be made to sound virtually indistinguishable.

This is unfortunately where I had to hit the road.

In comparison to the sound from any of these systems, my own mid-level audio setup sounds harsh and fragile. Getting to Joe's on Saturday wasn't costly...but being there is certainly going to be.
Reddig and chalugadp like this.

Last edited by DavidK442; 07-21-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page