5.1 set up - don't know where to start - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
5.1 set up - don't know where to start

I posted a thread early requesting some advice on in-wall/on-wall speakers. As I've done research this morning it's become apparent that going this route I'll be putting a good % of my spend towards ascetics instead of sound quality.

After some discussion, the wife is now open to floor standing speakers (so long as I hide all the wires).

So.... my consideration set has changed and I have no idea where to start.

Facts/Needs:
This will be in the family room (17x25, 8ft ceilings) which opens to kitchen.
Looking for 5.1 set up.
Current receiver is a Yamaha RX-A720 (would prefer not to upgrade at this time if possible).
Top end of budget is ~2k.

I've never owned floor standing speakers so I'm not even sure where to start. I'd appreciate suggestions on brands/models or anything that can help me narrow my research. Thanks!

Last edited by chef jer; 07-19-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added receiver info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 811
You definitely don't need to upgrade that receiver

EMP Tek E55Ti Towers, E56Ci Center Speaker, and E5Bi Bookshelf for the rear. This would run you about $1300 shipped.

Then the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is currently on sale for $599. Not sure how long this sale will last. That's an unbeatable sub for the price. You'd have to spend several hundred more to do better. Given that you have a pretty big space, this would be a great choice for your setup. In fact, I would recommend getting it right away even before deciding on the speakers as it will work well with whatever speakers you choose

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable K7XX | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

EMP Tek E55Ti Towers, E56Ci Center Speaker, and E5Bi Bookshelf for the rear. This would run you about $1300 shipped.

Then the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is currently on sale for $599. Not sure how long this sale will last. That's an unbeatable sub for the price. You'd have to spend several hundred more to do better. Given that you have a pretty big space, this would be a great choice for your setup. In fact, I would recommend getting it right away even before deciding on the speakers as it will work well with whatever speakers you choose
Thanks. The EMP Tek look really interesting. I've researching this afternoon and the Infinity reference series has caught my eye.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@ cel4145 - Would there be any benefit to the emp E55w vs the E5bi's? I have no issues spending the extra $. However because of my room shape the E55's would need to be mounted on wall behind the sitting area (can't do side walls).
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Those are bipole and could work well behind the sitting area. See this tutorial: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170720

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, if you need more help with questions about the EMP Teks, there is an owners thread on AVS: **Official EMP Owner's Thread**

Good place to kind of read around and ask questions

post #7 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Those are bipole and could work well behind the sitting area. See this tutorial: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170720
Quote:
Also, if you need more help with questions about the EMP Teks, there is an owners thread on AVS: **Official EMP Owner's Thread**

Good place to kind of read around and ask questions
Thanks. I've been poking around in the owners thread. I like the bipoles but they don't come in ash.... unfortunately the red burl does not meet the WAF.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer View Post
I posted a thread early requesting some advice on in-wall/on-wall speakers. As I've done research this morning it's become apparent that going this route I'll be putting a good % of my spend towards ascetics instead of sound quality.

After some discussion, the wife is now open to floor standing speakers (so long as I hide all the wires).

So.... my consideration set has changed and I have no idea where to start.

Facts/Needs:
This will be in the family room (17x25, 8ft ceilings) which opens to kitchen.
Looking for 5.1 set up.
Current receiver is a Yamaha RX-A720 (would prefer not to upgrade at this time if possible).
Top end of budget is ~2k.

I've never owned floor standing speakers so I'm not even sure where to start. I'd appreciate suggestions on brands/models or anything that can help me narrow my research. Thanks!
I would go with the Acoustech sub that I have listed in my sig......phenominal sub.....

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:

+1, This looks to be a great system for the price. Jump on that Outlaw sale while it lasts, I am betting it will end after this weekend. You will not do better for the money while that sale is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page