post #91 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
Not a fan of the ground shaking effect the down firing subs make.
That is more in the mind than anything else - a down firing sub does
not add/increase earth shaking bass.
GIEGAR likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

And yes, I've had my eye on that SVS PB-1000 for awhile now.
I'm just trying to debate weather it be more of advantage due to the price if I went with DIY.
Front firing and side-firing subwoofers will shake the ground just as much as the downfiring subwoofer...... I don't know where you heard that myth though.

BTWs by ruling out downfiring subwoofers you are missing some great subwoofers. Right not the $500 subwoofer to buy is the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, you would struggle to build and design a subwoofer for that price with more output.
GIEGAR likes this.
post #93 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

And yes, I've had my eye on that SVS PB-1000 for awhile now.
I'm just trying to debate weather it be more of advantage due to the price if I went with DIY.
Not to be an ass, but you seem to have a decent amount to learn. It's ok, we all knew less at some point.
crazyrob425 likes this.
post #94 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Not to be an ass, but you seem to have a decent amount to learn. It's ok, we all knew less at some point.
Hmm I read on the HiFi fidelity site that axis of the driver is vertex in motion. And being as the driver is firing at the ground its more motion firing downward so it will cause more impact in which it's firing. Therefore you'll feel more ground shake. It's kinda like a jack hammer you wont hear any difference in sound but the way its firing through the cement you'll feel the ground shake.

Last edited by curtissp; 07-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #95 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm I read on the HiFi fidelity site that axis of the driver is vertex in motion. And being as the driver is firing at the ground its more motion firing downward so it will cause more impact in which it's firing. Therefore you'll feel more ground shake. It's kinda like a jack hammer you wont hear any difference in sound but the way its firing through the cement you'll feel the ground shake.

I don't agree with that, but that is after owning a down firing sub, and 5 forward firing subs, and noticing no ill effects from the down firing one. In addition, back when I was into car audio, I tired a number of different styles. Some worked well, some didn't, but it's the acoustics of a car, not the style of the subwoofer enclosure that made the difference.

Again, not trying to insult you, we are all at varying stages of learning.
post #96 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You are reading and know just enough to hang yourself. Slow down and listen to the voices of experience.

I really suggest you start taking the advice of forum members here cause we have a bit more actual hands-on/ears-on experience.
post #97 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
There are a lot of myths out there, and audiophiles who are not knowledgeable about the science (or who don't listen to the people knowledgeable about it) tend to perpetuate them.

The primary reason (and only one I can think of) not to go with downfiring is because you like to see your sub driver
crazyrob425 likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #98 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
You are reading and know just enough to hang yourself. Slow down and listen to the voices of experience.

I really suggest you start taking the advice of forum members here cause we have a bit more actual hands-on/ears-on experience.
Could you show me test results of front vs down firing with a richter scale. If they are the same I will believe it.
Otherwise no one is for certain it's just skepticism.

I do believe sound difference will be more adequate pending on the port size materials used how much power is brought to the woofer how the dynamics of the box are created.
post #99 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 PM

It's funny. I remember making (uhhh, maybe trying to, is a better description) my first speakers 30 years ago, at the age of 16. I bought all of the drivers and crossovers over the course of several months at the Radio Shack that was in the same strip mall as the grocery store I worked at as a bagger. I made $3.45 an hour then, and the speakers, when all said and done...sucked, and I could have topped them easily with a cheap pre-made speaker no doubt, but I wouldn't go back in time to not have done it, even if just one woofer cost me several days actual pay. Audio has always been a passion of mine, even when I wasted money and knew nothing.

Last edited by 89grand; 07-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.
post #100 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
It's funny. I remember making (uhhh, maybe trying to, is a better description) my first speakers 30 years ago, at the age of 16. I bought all of the drivers and crossovers over the course of several months at the Radio Shack that was in the same strip mall as the grocery store I worked at as a bagger. I made $3.45 an hour then, and the speakers, when all said and done...sucked, and I could have topped them easily with a cheap pre-made speaker no doubt, but I wouldn't go back in time to not have done it, even if just one woofer cost me several days actual pay. Audio has always been a passion of mine, even when I wasted money and knew nothing.
My first system was 12 10's in my car I custom made the designs,fiberglass the whole box.

Took it down to the car shows hit 156db.
I turned it up at a stopping light and a guy 5 cars up got out holding his ears.
Was the highlight of my life.
post #101 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm not sure there are any true acoustic suspension woofers being manufactured anymore.
Hey Dennis, the new Benchmark SMS-1 speakers use an acoustic suspension design.
post #102 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Could you show me test results of front vs down firing with a richter scale. If they are the same I will believe it.
Otherwise no one is for certain it's just skepticism.

I do believe sound difference will be more adequate pending on the port size materials used how much power is brought to the woofer how the dynamics of the box are created.
I am speaking from personal experience with downfiring and front firing. Also to what has been said by many members. Here was a thread where it was debated Down-firing vs front-firing? Sub placement?

Bass frequencies waves are not directional. They are consider "omni-directional" meaning they go everywhere. There is no discernable difference between the two.

Please share your counter evidence... Like the website you are talking about.

You want a serious subwoofer ditch the NXG up the budget up to $600 and get an Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

Best of luck with your audio hunt!
post #103 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
That is more in the mind than anything else - a down firing sub does
not add/increase earth shaking bass.
That's it! Curtis, the misconception likely comes from the "...firing" expression. People think of subs as firing pulses of bass like the exhaust smoke of a backfiring engine (sort of - poor analogy). At the low frequencies/long wavelengths that they produce, home theatre subs do not "fire"... in reality, the sound radiates omnidirectionally from the acoustic source.

Quote:
Front firing and side-firing subwoofers will shake the ground just as much as the downfiring subwoofer...... I don't know where you heard that myth though.

BTWs by ruling out downfiring subwoofers you are missing some great subwoofers. Right not the $500 subwoofer to buy is the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, you would struggle to build and design a subwoofer for that price with more output.
+1! In it's current (sale) price bracket, the Outlaw is a clear performance winner. A very well engineered sub with variable port tuning.
crazyrob425 likes this.

Last edited by GIEGAR; 07-22-2014 at 10:20 PM.
post #104 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am speaking from personal experience with downfiring and front firing. Also to what has been said by many members. Here was a thread where it was debated Down-firing vs front-firing? Sub placement?

Bass frequencies waves are not directional. They are consider "omni-directional" meaning they go everywhere. There is no discernable difference between the two.

Please share your counter evidence... Like the website you are talking about.

You want a serious subwoofer ditch the NXG up the budget up to $600 and get an Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

Best of luck with your audio hunt!
I could buy something for 500 that blow that outlaw in the dirt just gotta find something cable of pushing 10,000 watts
post #105 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I could buy something for 500 that blow that outlaw in the dirt just gotta find something cable of pushing 10,000 watts

What sub driver are you planning on using? What enclosure design?

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #106 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
What sub driver are you planning on using? What enclosure design?
My brothers selling his 4 15's with a mega horn on it. custom box that is like 6 feet tall and like 5 feet wide on wheels. From when he was doing concerts.

He said he'd sell it to me for $500 he said I need at least 2,000 watts just to power them. The max watt is 10,000.
post #107 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

ProAudio subwoofers don't even come close to the deep bass that Home Theater subwoofers can some to.

As for car audio subwoofers used in home theater applications again they can't go as deep.
post #108 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My brothers selling his 4 15's with a mega horn on it. custom box that is like 6 feet tall and like 5 feet wide on wheels. From when he was doing concerts.

He said he'd sell it to me for $500 he said I need at least 2,000 watts just to power them. The max watt is 10,000.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of midbass out of them. But like crazyrob said, doubtful you'll get the deep extension of a home audio sub.

post #109 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Seriously just get some decent mains, a decent power amp if you don't already have one, at least 2, but preferably 3 reasonably decent subwoofers, a Minisdps, a Umik-1 mic, and use free REW and you'll be far ahead of the curve, for in the end...less money total.
post #110 of 110 Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
ProAudio subwoofers don't even come close to the deep bass that Home Theater subwoofers can some to.

As for car audio subwoofers used in home theater applications again they can't go as deep.
Car audio subs can get deep, no problem. The problem arises when one realizes how big the enclosure, and how much power it takes to get most of them there.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page