AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Martin Logan 5.1 System Advice (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1609898-martin-logan-5-1-system-advice.html)

acruther 07-19-2014 08:52 PM

Martin Logan 5.1 System Advice

So I am putting in a 5.1 in-wall/ceiling system in my mod large 16x20 family room. It's a high traffic room and neither my wife nor myself want floor standing speakers. I've auditioned a bunch of in walls including Klipsch, Paradigm, Sonnace and MartinLogan. I was pretty blown away by the MartinLogan Edge speakers at Magnolia/Best Buy. They were head to head against Sonnace which a lot of people really seem to like on the board and just destroyed them in terms of detail and soundstage, IMHO.

Anyway, so I've settled on these as my main speakers. I was thinking of installing 3 Edges on the three side of my 65" Panasonic Plasma. I will probably have to get a handyman to play with the studs to install the center since my plasma is centered on a stud. One other option would be to install only left/right and simulate the center since the Edges are LCR speakers. Would love to get any input people have on that. I'm thinking that wouldn't be ideal for dialog...

2nd thing I'm struggling with is the rears. I could install two Axis speakers high on rear wall as surrounds but I worry they wouldn't be directed at the primary sitting position. I could also go with Vanquish either in the rear walls or the ceiling. I have a coffered ceiling though and there are big recessed lights in each of the coffers. While in-ceilings would work the look wouldn't be terrific. Both the Axis and Edge have the same dispersion (80° x 30°) though I must admit I am have no idea what that means in real world terms.

3rd thing is subwoofer. The ML Dynamo 1000W was what I thinking about though I've also been looking at the Hsu ULS-15 and the Velodyne Wi-Q 12 Inch Wireless Subwoofer. I considered the STS SB13 but I think I want to go with a wireless option. I've never used a wireless subwoofer before but think it would be necessary for the layout of our living room.

I am running the system with a 5 channel Sunfire Grand Cinema amp and a Marantz AV7701 preamp.

So anyway, would love to get input from my fellow AV fanatics. Thanks in advance.

Craig Peer 07-22-2014 12:08 PM

I'd definitely use a center channel speaker - even if it required a little drywall work. You'll have a much better audio system in the end. As for the rears, two Axis speakers would work. Surround speakers are mostly sound effects etc. - once you calibrate your speakers with either a receiver calibration system or manually, they will sound fine.

Martin Logan makes fine speakers !

acruther 07-27-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Peer (Post 25951978)
I'd definitely use a center channel speaker - even if it required a little drywall work. You'll have a much better audio system in the end. As for the rears, two Axis speakers would work. Surround speakers are mostly sound effects etc. - once you calibrate your speakers with either a receiver calibration system or manually, they will sound fine.

Martin Logan makes fine speakers !

Thanks for the reply. Kind of confirmed my thoughts. Any thoughts on the subwoofer?

dsrussell 07-27-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acruther (Post 25885386)
3rd thing is subwoofer. The ML Dynamo 1000W was what I thinking about though I've also been looking at the Hsu ULS-15 and the Velodyne Wi-Q 12 Inch Wireless Subwoofer. I considered the STS SB13 but I think I want to go with a wireless option. I've never used a wireless subwoofer before but think it would be necessary for the layout of our living room.

I auditioned the Hsu ULS-15 about a year ago and it's a solid sealed sub. However, I had problems with its wireless capability. It simply kept cutting out and it has to have a direct line of sight to the transceiver. Others have had problems as well, but I'm sure many have not. You might want to talk with SVS. While their subs don't have a built in receiver like the ULS-15, they have a wireless receiver/transceiver that would probably work better, and that is for any sub, SVS or anyone else. BTW, the SB13-Ultra is a great, albeit expensive, sub. I use it with Maggies.

Craig Peer 07-28-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acruther (Post 26090826)
Thanks for the reply. Kind of confirmed my thoughts. Any thoughts on the subwoofer?

I don't have a preference when it comes to subwoofers - ML makes good ones, SVS does too. I don't have any personal experience with wireless sub connections myself. I tend to prefer to hard wire everything if at all possible ( and so far in my room it's been possible ).

acruther 08-03-2014 01:25 AM

I was pretty decided on the MartinLogans until I went and listened to some Maggies at a local store. Put me in a tizzy... I really liked them but I really don't want speakers that physically dominate the room. If I had a dedicated home theatre sure. But in a family living room, no.

So I did a bunch more research and have found BG Radia. Seems like they are, like Magnepan, not very widely available but reasonably priced and top tier performance. If only we could convince them to go internet direct...

Anywho, I am now considering:
3 BG Radia SA-360s for L/C/R
2 BG Radia SS-202s for surrounds
SVS Ultra 13 subwoofer (I don't like the idea of in-wall subs).

I am going to order the back boxes for the installation. Not sure how easy these speakers are to install. I may hire someone (gasp).

Craig Peer 08-04-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acruther (Post 26253809)
I was pretty decided on the MartinLogans until I went and listened to some Maggies at a local store. Put me in a tizzy... I really liked them but I really don't want speakers that physically dominate the room. If I had a dedicated home theatre sure. But in a family living room, no.

So I did a bunch more research and have found BG Radia. Seems like they are, like Magnepan, not very widely available but reasonably priced and top tier performance. If only we could convince them to go internet direct...

Anywho, I am now considering:
3 BG Radia SA-360s for L/C/R
2 BG Radia SS-202s for surrounds
SVS Ultra 13 subwoofer (I don't like the idea of in-wall subs).

I am going to order the back boxes for the installation. Not sure how easy these speakers are to install. I may hire someone (gasp).

BG Radia make great speakers too. AV Science sells BG Radia also - just FYI !!