Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using Wireless Headphones on TV with NO RCA outputs

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have done lots of digging and seem to get mixed opinions.

Basically, I want to set up my wireless headphones with my Samsung LED TV but unfortunately, it has no RCA outputs (only inputs). My headphones do come with a 3.5mm to RCA converter which I can connect to my "audio out" jack, but I've read this can lead to signal issues.

I also understand that I can connect the wireless headphone dock directly to the RCA outputs on my source and use it that way. For example, connecting it to my cable box. The problem with that is, I have multiple sources (cable box AND PS4) so I would be forced to disconnect from one source and plug into the other every time I want to switch the sound source.

So what's the best way I can connect the wireless headphone dock directly to the TV so I can use it with multiple sources without being forced to buy an expensive amp or receiver?

Thanks!

Btw, the two audio related outputs my TV has are "Audio Out" and "Digital Audio Out"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What is the full model number of the Tv?
Are you connecting the cable box and PS4 both with hdmi?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
What is the full model number of the Tv?
Are you connecting the cable box and PS4 both with hdmi?
UN50EH5000FXZA

And yes, both are connected via HDMI.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...02ENG-1022.pdf

It appears your Tv has a 3.5mm analog audio output jack (located right above the optical jack). Have you tried plugging your headphone base station into that using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cphil19 View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have done lots of digging and seem to get mixed opinions.

Basically, I want to set up my wireless headphones with my Samsung LED TV but unfortunately, it has no RCA outputs (only inputs). My headphones do come with a 3.5mm to RCA converter which I can connect to my "audio out" jack, but I've read this can lead to signal issues.

I also understand that I can connect the wireless headphone dock directly to the RCA outputs on my source and use it that way. For example, connecting it to my cable box. The problem with that is, I have multiple sources (cable box AND PS4) so I would be forced to disconnect from one source and plug into the other every time I want to switch the sound source.

So what's the best way I can connect the wireless headphone dock directly to the TV so I can use it with multiple sources without being forced to buy an expensive amp or receiver?

Thanks!

Btw, the two audio related outputs my TV has are "Audio Out" and "Digital Audio Out"
I just use the optical audio output from the TV and a simple digital analog converter, then connect to my wireless headphone base station via RCA/3.5mm cable. It works great and I can listen to all inputs.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
I just use the optical audio output from the TV and a simple digital analog converter, then connect to my wireless headphone base station via RCA/3.5mm cable. It works great and I can listen to all inputs.
Thanks for the advice.

So I have it set up, but how does one control the volume if the headphones themselves don't not have a volume changer? Same goes for adjusting the bass, treble, etc. All sound settings on the tv only apply to TV speakers.....
post #7 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should correct this. I'm NOT using the digital out, but actually the 3.5m standard audio out along with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to the headphone dock.

Aside from wondering how to adjust volume and sound settings, the quality itself doesn't seem to be that great. Would I be better off using the digital audio out along with a converter? Would that give me better quality?
post #8 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphil19 View Post
Sorry, I should correct this. I'm NOT using the digital out, but actually the 3.5m standard audio out along with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to the headphone dock.

Aside from wondering how to adjust volume and sound settings, the quality itself doesn't seem to be that great. Would I be better off using the digital audio out along with a converter? Would that give me better quality?
As a test (to rule out the headphones), connect the headphones directly to the red/white jacks on the back of your cable box. Is that any different quality than going through the Tv?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As a test (to rule out the headphones), connect the headphones directly to the red/white jacks on the back of your cable box. Is that any different quality than going through the Tv?
Very hard to tell. If there is, it's not obvious.

Using these by the way: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=4219008
post #10 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

On my older TV (which I no longer have), I used to use my Sennheiser HD 497 and the quality seemed flawless. It's almost like quality standards are moving in the wrong direction or I just can't figure it out.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You're comparing Sennheiser (a very established headphone company) WIRED headphones to Insignia (off brand Tv manufacturer) WIRELESS ??? That's no contest, like apples to oranges....

If you can't tell the difference between connected to rear of box vs connected to rear of Tv, then it's very doubtful that using optical will help you.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You're comparing Sennheiser (a very established headphone company) WIRED headphones to Insignia (off brand Tv manufacturer) WIRELESS ??? That's no contest, like apples to oranges....

If you can't tell the difference between connected to rear of box vs connected to rear of Tv, then it's very doubtful that using optical will help you.
So what's my best option then? Buying a receiver with a digital in connection and using that?
post #13 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A receiver isn't going to make wireless headphones sound any better (nothing will). Use wired headphones or get some high quality wireless ones.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A receiver isn't going to make wireless headphones sound any better (nothing will). Use wired headphones or get some high quality wireless ones.
That's just it.

I would love to use wired headphones, but I can't as my TV only has audio out and digital audio out, no headphone jack.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Then buy a A/V receiver with a headphone jack....

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...d-ready/1.html

Afro GT
post #16 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the replies, it's just disappointing that I'm forced to drop over $100 just to be able to use headphones with a TV.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page