AVS Forum banner

Speaker upgrade

978 views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  opideegs 
#1 ·
I have an Onkyo 3007 thinking of upgrading speakers I have polk TSI 500 fronts CS 20 center and TSI 200 surrounds 7.1 set up and a 505 sub. I have around 3k.looking for suggestions. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
For $3000 does it include a sub?
If so;
6 of these (3 pair)
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-home-theater-speakers/verus-forte-satellite-speaker
1 of these
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/verus-home-theater-speakers/verus-forte-center-channel-speaker
and 1 of these
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB12-Plus
or
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30se

These are just sugestion to get thing going.
The first sub will run you at $400 over budget and the second option $50 over.

I personally have the big brother of option 1

But option 2 is from the same designer but moved on to start a different company.
I never heard them but have quit a bit of following.

Just go to those link and look for all other options available.

Hopefully, some others will start to offer different option that I cannot recomend since I have not heard them.

The 3 ID companys that I mention can be trusted and are knowned to offer great customer service and good products for $.

Hopefully this the ball rolling.

Ray

#4 ·
What are your complaints about your current setup?

What do you feel that you are missing from your current setup?

Only real problem jumping out at me is the subwoofer. Get something for $1000-$1200 or maybe duals from an internet direct subwoofer company.
Good sugestion

I did not look at his speakers, so my sugestions would not be a big improment if any.
+1 on the subs.
I think my sugestion for the sub would be a great improvement for the bass and the OP would save some money by buying only a sub or two.

Ray

#5 ·
You could go with the Polk RTi line, it's would be a nice upgrade over the entry-level TSi line.

Polk RTi12
Polk CSi5
Polk RTi4

This comes to $1200, leaving you $1800 for subs. I would recommend a pair of SVS PB-2000 subs, they are an excellent performer and having a pair will give you a smoother response throughout the room.

#6 · (Edited)
The PSB Image T6 speakers with a PSB C4 center speaker and a pair of B5 speakers should run around $2000 or less, and would be my first choice by a mile.

The T6 are great speakers (I had them for two years before going to some much more expensive speakers). Stereophile and The Absolute Sound both rated them their Speakers of the Year.

I would spend the other $1000 on a NAD T758 receiver, which will sound 100% better than that tinny-sounding Onkyo, and will have less distortion due to its superior high-current amplifiers and power supply. The power ratings of the Onkyo are totally bogus; NAD gives honest REAL power ratings.

#7 ·
On one hand, you have someone recommending new speakers and to trash your new receiver and on the other your sub is the current weak point... with a speakers and a sub suggestion in the middle. What do you do?

I found a bench test of you sub here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html

It is 3 dB down at 35 Hz. That would be okay for speaker, but is pretty poor low extension for a sub. I'd start with the sub. If that does put a smile on your face, then go with the speaker upgrade second. No need to do it all at once if you go with an Internet-direct brand for the sub.

#10 ·
You will not accomplish a warmer sound with the Onkyo driving your speakers. Better to use a Marantz or NAD for a warmer sound. For warmer speakers, you might like the sound of Totem or, perhaps, Vandersteen.

Choose the speaker you love, then choose the receiver/amp to best complement that choice.

#13 ·
What is your listening distance?
How loud do you listen?

#19 ·
A very good choice

My room is 24 x 12 with 8 foot ceilings.do I need duals.
Contact SVS by e-mail!!!
They will Not try to oversell.
If one is enough they will tell you and be honest if you realy need dual.

I bought dual PB13 only for look and extra end-room just because I could afford-it but was not needed:D.

I would contact them and see what they say.

Ray

#22 ·
Before ordering a new Hsu (to replace a 10 year old Hsu that needed a board replacement), I seriously considered SVS. I emailed them, and for a 16x23x8 room they recommended a single SB-2000. Whichever brand(s) you're considering - email them. They'll be happy to suggest the best fit.

#21 ·
I could keep this short and say every way imaginable. The SVS will go deeper and do so at a higher SPL (sound pressure level) than the Polk could ever hope to accomplish. Your Polk won't go much below 35 Hz with any reasonable SPL. In your volume area, I'd look at the ported SVS model (PB-2000) or the Outlaw LFM-1 EX (don't miss this sale).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.