LSA 1 bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lite2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LSA 1 bookshelf speakers

Still trying to get someone who has listened to the standard version. Anyone? Comparable sound to a PSB imagine or sierra 1 etc... Thanks.
lite2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
pg_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post
Still trying to get someone who has listened to the standard version. Anyone? Comparable sound to a PSB imagine or sierra 1 etc... Thanks.
Just now saw this thread so thought I'd reply. I have the standard LSA1 Monitors. Prior to them I had Paradigm Studio 10s, at which point I also auditioned the PSB Imagine B. To me, the Imagine B is more similar to the Paradigm than the LSAs. The LSA tweeter is quite laid back, whereas the Paradigm is more pronounced. I don't recall the PSB tweeter being quite as strong as the Paradigm, but it wasn't as polite as the LSA.

The tweeter was the biggest discriminator for me. After that, I think the LSAs have a bigger soundstage than the Paradigms. Not sure where the PSBs would fall in that regard. Same for bass performance.

I will say that to me, the LSA is the most handsome speaker out of the three.

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
pg_rider is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Newbie
 
mikapen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Just now saw this thread so thought I'd reply. I have the standard LSA1 Monitors. Prior to them I had Paradigm Studio 10s, at which point I also auditioned the PSB Imagine B. To me, the Imagine B is more similar to the Paradigm than the LSAs. The LSA tweeter is quite laid back, whereas the Paradigm is more pronounced. I don't recall the PSB tweeter being quite as strong as the Paradigm, but it wasn't as polite as the LSA.

The tweeter was the biggest discriminator for me. After that, I think the LSAs have a bigger soundstage than the Paradigms. Not sure where the PSBs would fall in that regard. Same for bass performance.

I will say that to me, the LSA is the most handsome speaker out of the three.
Just now moving from 2 channel to home theater. Well, at least trying to match my 5 speakers instead of adding 3 to my 2 channel as I have for years.
I see that LSA is now ID and selling near half price, as of July 2015. have been considering LSA standards and HSU subs for a while, but haven't heard either. The new LSA (Underwood) doesn't allow returns, period.
Do you like the tonal balance from HSU to LSA?
You said that the LSA's seemed a little laid back - is that in the British "polite" sense? Are they "fun" and can they rock?
Thanks.
mikapen is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
pg_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikapen View Post
Just now moving from 2 channel to home theater. Well, at least trying to match my 5 speakers instead of adding 3 to my 2 channel as I have for years.

I see that LSA is now ID and selling near half price, as of July 2015. have been considering LSA standards and HSU subs for a while, but haven't heard either. The new LSA (Underwood) doesn't allow returns, period.

Do you like the tonal balance from HSU to LSA?

You said that the LSA's seemed a little laid back - is that in the British "polite" sense? Are they "fun" and can they rock?
Thanks.
Prices on the LSA stuff sure are nicer than they used to be! Not sure what you mean by tonal balance between the LSA speakers and the Hsu subs. If you're talking about how well they blend, I suppose it's fine. I do tend to run a higher crossover (100-120Hz depending) since I have dual subs and that's just the way I like it.

I would still describe the LSA tweeter as laid back, although my Denon's Audyssey calibration does a pretty good job of bringing back some "sparkle". I'm not sure I'd describe them as being good at "rocking", but I would also say that about any standmount (including my old Paradigms). I just don't think standmounts are great at filling a room with energy, even when mated to subs.

The biggest con I've noticed is that the LSA center isn't always the best at "throwing" the sound out into the room. Sometimes it feels like the sounds are boxy and stuck in the speaker.

Overall I'm still happy with the system. I love the looks, and love the soundstage and imaging from the speakers.


LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
pg_rider is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,589
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post
Still trying to get someone who has listened to the standard version. Anyone? Comparable sound to a PSB imagine or sierra 1 etc... Thanks.

I think that one of the best-sounding speakers in this range is the Focal Chorus 806V.

I think they sound better than the speakers mentioned.

Also, Amazon has currently marked them down from $1000/pair to $599, which is quite a nice price.

The CC700 center speaker is also excellent and goes for around $500.

Last edited by commsysman; 12-11-2015 at 08:05 AM.
commsysman is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Newbie
 
mikapen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
I would still describe the LSA tweeter as laid back, although my Denon's Audyssey calibration does a pretty good job of bringing back some "sparkle". I'm not sure I'd describe them as being good at "rocking", but I would also say that about any standmount (including my old Paradigms). I just don't think standmounts are great at filling a room with energy, even when mated to subs.

The biggest con I've noticed is that the LSA center isn't always the best at "throwing" the sound out into the room. Sometimes it feels like the sounds are boxy and stuck in the speaker.

Overall I'm still happy with the system. I love the looks, and love the soundstage and imaging from the speakers.
Thanks for your thoughts. Good feedback.
I now have Quad 11L center etc, and although it's an articulate sound, it's a little more reserved than I like. Nice for jazz, piano and most dialog, but less involving as home theater than I imagine - one reason I'm thinking about a new set of speakers.
Your photo shows that your seating position is farther than mine from the front array, so I may not have the "stuck in the speaker" effect you talk about. I probably won't be in a room larger than my current 3600 cu.ft. size.
Does bumping the center up +2db help. or is it still a bit subdued?
I like the Paradigms, but their metal tweets seem too bright for me. Maybe the LSA are a good fit for me.

Another question - in your room, do you like the bipole, dipole or direct setting on your surrounds?

Last edited by mikapen; 12-11-2015 at 05:26 PM.
mikapen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off