Cutting a hole in the back of shelf for speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cutting a hole in the back of shelf for speaker?

Hey guys,

So I've got my klipsch RB-51 II bookshelf speakers on the second shelf in my entertainment center. Just found out yesterday we are expecting, so within a year and a half we will have little hands again. Speaker stands can't be an option now. The problem is my entertainment center panel that covers the back of the shelves rattles when the speakers are turned up due to the air coming from the port. Its real wood, but very thin. I had considered cutting a 4x6 or 6x8 hole in the back around the rear port to allow it to breathe out the back of the shelf instead of pounding air against it(and I mean it pounds!!). So, has anyone done this, or will it work?

To cover it up, but still be able to breathe I was going to get some charcoal fiberglass screen like what goes on screen doors and windows. Should be dark enough to match the dark dark cherry entertainment center, but still allow air to flow. Speaker grill mesh doesn't breathe good. There is some room behind the entertainment center. About 6 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up putting them on my Auralex foam pads to help angle them down, and get them off the shelf. I assume it helps. I ended up cutting approximately a 4x4 hole behind the port. I feel that a bigger hole, or no back at all, would be better. However, this isn't possible. I dont' want to destroy the entertainment center. I set the speakers to small, and set the crossover to 80. That did help a lot with the rattling, and with the muddiness they had. I still feel they could be a little cleaner sounding. I may not be able to get away from this due to the fact they are in a hole.

I've seen people reccomend sound dampening. Would that help eliminate the resonance (I assume that is what it is) coming from the speaker enclosure. I don't have the screen mesh over the hole yet.

Is there anything else i could do?

post #3 of 5 Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Do they not fit vertically? In a space like that a front ported speaker would be more appropriate. Someone with more knowledge than me about speaker ports can probably tell you if that hole in the back is doing any good.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah a front ported speaker would have been better. I like klipsch, and just happen to snatch these up for 200$ new at a local dealer trying to get rid of last years model. They have a slight ding on top from a mishap that doesn't affect the sound. I ended up getting a reference center channel for 100$ off ebay to match, and some synergy surrounds for 69$ for the pair off ebay. So, I'll live if it isn't top notch. I can also fix the entertainment center and do something else later. I was going to go polk RTi's, but after getting the deal I got for the RB-51 II speakers I decided to just go that route. The polks are front ported, but the center channel is too big to go into the hole for my center channel. I can't afford the setup I really want, so I will just deal with what I have. They do sound better then the Jamo set I had at least.

Last edited by zoenphlux; 07-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page