KEF T100 vs Pinnacle MB 10000+ - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KEF T100 vs Pinnacle MB 10000+

I just got a great deal on the KEF T100 system. But, I can also get a great deal on the Pinnacle MB 10000+. The Pinnacle should have a better overall subwoofer but I've never been a fan of sound bars. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the better speaker set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
What leads you to believe the Pinnacle system has a better subwoofer?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Reading the reviews of the T100, one of the knocks on the system was the sub not hitting the lower frequencies and lacking a bit of power. The system up from it comes with an upgraded sub. Looking strictly at specs, the Pinnacle has a larger cone and a bit more power. In theory, that should be an improvement over the KEF. But, specs don't mean squat. I'd rather a clean 8 than a muddy 12, and that might be the case here. Can't tell without listening. That's why I'm here, hoping somebody can give me an educated opinion.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Can't tell without listening. That's why I'm here, hoping somebody can give me an educated opinion

Correct, so the best bet is to audition them and decide for yourself. No one can give you an "educated" opinion because there is a whole field of study called psycho-acoustics. To sum it up when it comes to small details, our mind reacts to them different. Some details are there, some are artifacts of what your mind wants to look for (often shaped by experience and cultural norms). Don't fall into snake oil, surrounding audio stuff - there is tons out there to make money.

Audition it and decide for yourself. That's the best advice anyone can give you on audio components.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Speakers are very much about taste than anything else. And, as much as I would love to demo both sets, I have a few problems:

1. KEF T100 is discontinued. Hard to find a place with a system set up.
2. Pinnacle MB 10000+ is "Now exclusively at Dell". Nowhere to go to hear it anymore either
3. I can find reviews for KEF T100 but not Pinnacle MB 10000+
4. I have an 11 week old baby. That doesn't lend itself to hooking both systems up at home and doing any reasonable sort of demo

That's why I was hoping to get some help here. I thought this would be a great place for some opinions, since there are similar threads that compare speaker sets, like this for instance:
MartinLogan MLT-2 vs Energy Take 5.1's...
post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I can find reviews for KEF T100 but not Pinnacle MB 10000+
In my experience, reviews are of little significance when it comes to speakers. Take my personal experience with Audio Engine A2. They have fantastic reviews everywhere you look (including the so called stereophile magazine) but I found the midrange on them to be lacking. For the price, they were not worth it IMHO. I am running Alesis USB Monitors and they are much cheaper AND much better all rounders.

I can understand the issue involving auditioning them but it will be fruitful for you. And UNLESS someone has heard both sets for a good amount of time and can comment on their performance - otherwise I would buy them from an online store that has a good return policy. Try them out and see if you like them. If they fall short, return them and go for the other ones.

Quote:
I have an 11 week old baby. That doesn't lend itself to hooking both systems up at home and doing any reasonable sort of demo
Do it when the wife and the kids are out. If that is not possible, then having the speakers around and listening to them will be equally impossible because your baby can still get to it - in which case you have other problems to worry about first.

Last edited by littlemoule; 07-23-2014 at 01:58 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxinferno View Post
3. I can find reviews for KEF T100 but not Pinnacle MB 10000+
Finding reviews on Pinnacle products is akin to locating the mythical unicorn; good luck. Historically they haven't submitted products for evaluation, for whatever reason, so info is very difficult to come by. Which is a shame because the ones I've had direct exposure to were pretty nice. Overpriced, but nice.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I know you guys are giving me the best advice - to demo the speakers. I used to sell speakers for 3.5 years. When my friends are interested in buying speakers, I jump at the chance to grab my demo material and spend the whole day speaker shopping with them. I would love to be able to compare these two sets at home. It's just not feasible for me at this point in time. It's too much work setting them up, returning one to the post office and paying 30+ for postage. I'm hardly getting any sleep as it is. I mean, I've got the sub for the KEF at home. It's way better than the toy that I've been using as a hold over. It would take about 2 minutes to switch it out but I haven't done it for three days now. The time and energy aren't there. I was hoping that there would be some people active in these forums that might have heard them and could give an opinion, like I see in other threads.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page