AVS Forum banner

Replacing Front L, R and Center Speakers

802 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  zieglj01 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

been lurking on here for a while admiring everyones set ups, finally deciding to plop down some money and upgrade mine. To start off I have an old HTIB from Onkyo so the speakers are all pretty crappy and the receiver wasnt great, about 4 months ago i upped the receiver to a Sony str-dn840 (still not great I know but better). I am now looking to replace my front left,right and center speakers.

I was looking at Monitor Silver 6's but went to a store to demo them and they didnt have them, instead the salesman insisted i listen to Golden Ear Triton 7's and that they are a better set. I listened to them and I do admit they sounded pretty good but they were being played on a $4k Anthem receiver, so I am not sure if they would sound even close at my house.

My question is would these Golden Ear speakers be a good purchase? Or am I wasting my money due to my receiver?

Thank you for your help.

#3 ·
A Sony AVR probably wouldn't be most people's first choice, but with a minimum impedance of 4.8 ohms those speakers don't seem to be a difficult load so your AVR probably won't have any issues driving them. I don't think you need to spend any more on an AVR to get good sound.

What is your budget? Do you have over $2000 just for the front 3 speakers? With sub and surrounds that is going to be at least a $3000+ speaker budget.

#6 ·
Whatever your receiver you won't be wasting money on whatever loudspeakers you choose. The Golden Ears have received rave reviews. You will notice the quality sound despite your (as claimed, still not great) receiver. Almost all speakers benefit from more/cleaner power. I think you're making the right decision to upgrade your speakers now and electronics later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.