• 1 Post By wowzors

post #1 of 14 Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Replacing Front L, R and Center Speakers

Hi guys,

been lurking on here for a while admiring everyones set ups, finally deciding to plop down some money and upgrade mine. To start off I have an old HTIB from Onkyo so the speakers are all pretty crappy and the receiver wasnt great, about 4 months ago i upped the receiver to a Sony str-dn840 (still not great I know but better). I am now looking to replace my front left,right and center speakers.

I was looking at Monitor Silver 6's but went to a store to demo them and they didnt have them, instead the salesman insisted i listen to Golden Ear Triton 7's and that they are a better set. I listened to them and I do admit they sounded pretty good but they were being played on a $4k Anthem receiver, so I am not sure if they would sound even close at my house.

My question is would these Golden Ear speakers be a good purchase? Or am I wasting my money due to my receiver?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzors View Post
Hi guys,

been lurking on here for a while admiring everyones set ups, finally deciding to plop down some money and upgrade mine. To start off I have an old HTIB from Onkyo so the speakers are all pretty crappy and the receiver wasnt great, about 4 months ago i upped the receiver to a Sony str-dn840 (still not great I know but better). I am now looking to replace my front left,right and center speakers.

I was looking at Monitor Silver 6's but went to a store to demo them and they didnt have them, instead the salesman insisted i listen to Golden Ear Triton 7's and that they are a better set. I listened to them and I do admit they sounded pretty good but they were being played on a $4k Anthem receiver, so I am not sure if they would sound even close at my house.

My question is would these Golden Ear speakers be a good purchase? Or am I wasting my money due to my receiver?

Thank you for your help.
Get a good return policy, then take them home and test them in your room. That's the only way to really know if you'll be happy with them.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
A Sony AVR probably wouldn't be most people's first choice, but with a minimum impedance of 4.8 ohms those speakers don't seem to be a difficult load so your AVR probably won't have any issues driving them. I don't think you need to spend any more on an AVR to get good sound.

What is your budget? Do you have over $2000 just for the front 3 speakers? With sub and surrounds that is going to be at least a $3000+ speaker budget.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #4 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
A Sony AVR probably wouldn't be most people's first choice, but with a minimum impedance of 4.8 ohms those speakers don't seem to be a difficult load so your AVR probably won't have any issues driving them. I don't think you need to spend any more on an AVR to get good sound.

What is your budget? Do you have over $2000 just for the front 3 speakers? With sub and surrounds that is going to be at least a $3000+ speaker budget.
The $2,000 is for a the front three only. I am not upgrading the back speakers or sub yet, I plan on doing that later, ill probably be looking at 1k+ for the sub and do some more research on the surround as I dont know much about them.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The $2,000 is for a the front three only. I am not upgrading the back speakers or sub yet, I plan on doing that later, ill probably be looking at 1k+ for the sub and do some more research on the surround as I dont know much about them.

Just a little bump I am heading after work to listen to the monitors I mentioned in the first post. The white finish would look better with my console I think.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Whatever your receiver you won't be wasting money on whatever loudspeakers you choose. The Golden Ears have received rave reviews. You will notice the quality sound despite your (as claimed, still not great) receiver. Almost all speakers benefit from more/cleaner power. I think you're making the right decision to upgrade your speakers now and electronics later.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #7 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
Whatever your receiver you won't be wasting money on whatever loudspeakers you choose. The Golden Ears have received rave reviews. You will notice the quality sound despite your (as claimed, still not great) receiver. Almost all speakers benefit from more/cleaner power. I think you're making the right decision to upgrade your speakers now and electronics later.
I listened to some CM9's today and I think I am being swayed into spending a little more for a much cleaner sound. I was offered a pair for 2500$ is that a good deal?
post #8 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I listened to some CM9's today and I think I am being swayed into spending a little more for a much cleaner sound. I was offered a pair for 2500$ is that a good deal?
The receiver will be inadequate to the task of those speakers, I'm afraid. Look up the cnet review of the Sony... on the second page of the review, it talks about the Sony being outperformed by a Marantz receiver that is half it's size.

Those speakers will tempt you to crank them up. Clipping will be a real possibility.

You took notice of the amp for the Tritons. What were B&Ws being driven with? How much power did they have access to? I would guess a lot more than the Sony is capable of delivering, even in two channel mode. I don't want to even think about 5 channel mode ....
post #9 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The receiver will be inadequate to the task of those speakers, I'm afraid. Look up the cnet review of the Sony... on the second page of the review, it talks about the Sony being outperformed by a Marantz receiver that is half it's size.

Those speakers will tempt you to crank them up. Clipping will be a real possibility.

You took notice of the amp for the Tritons. What were B&Ws being driven with? How much power did they have access to? I would guess a lot more than the Sony is capable of delivering, even in two channel mode. I don't want to even think about 5 channel mode ....
I'm am not entirely sure which model it was but I believe it was a NAD amp. I am not really afraid of updating the amp in the future nor not unlocking the full potential of speakers now. I will update the Sony when Dolby atmos receivers or some other technology HDMI comes out.

I honestly hate the Sony receiver I have it doesn't work properly with my tv or consoles a lot of the the no signal only audio, so upgrading amp not a big deal its coming eventually. Speakers appear to last longer so an investment now would last for 10 years. Unless I'm mistaken.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm am not entirely sure which model it was but I believe it was a NAD amp. I am not really afraid of updating the amp in the future nor not unlocking the full potential of speakers now. I will update the Sony when Dolby atmos receivers or some other technology HDMI comes out.

I honestly hate the Sony receiver I have it doesn't work properly with my tv or consoles a lot of the the no signal only audio, so upgrading amp not a big deal its coming eventually. Speakers appear to last longer so an investment now would last for 10 years. Unless I'm mistaken.
Those speakers should last 20 years, or more. I have some old B&W bookshelf speakers that are still going strong (at Mom's house) eighteen years after purchase.

I only bring up the issue of the Sony because there is the possibility that those speakers could be damaged by a clipped waveform when the music/movie demands more than that receiver can deliver. Short peaks can do damage, even when the average volume level is relatively low.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Those speakers should last 20 years, or more. I have some old B&W bookshelf speakers that are still going strong (at Mom's house) eighteen years after purchase.

I only bring up the issue of the Sony because there is the possibility that those speakers could be damaged by a clipped waveform when the music/movie demands more than that receiver can deliver. Short peaks can do damage, even when the average volume level is relatively low.
Would bi-amping help the front speakers at all? right now I have a 5.1 set up and the 2 back surrounds arent being used, I could biamp the front speakers if that would help drive the front speakers.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Would bi-amping help the front speakers at all? right now I have a 5.1 set up and the 2 back surrounds arent being used, I could biamp the front speakers if that would help drive the front speakers.
Bi-amping would help, adding approx 3dB of headroom to the receiver. If you use a sub, setting the crossover relatively high 80 / 100 would also help, as that would route the bass away from the main speakers ... the lower the frequency being produced, the more power needed.

What about the center channel?

One last word. be sure you get a good return policy (no 15% restocking fee), just in case the speakers are not a good match to the room. You just never know until you hear them in the room. A review I read mentioned that these speakers need a lot of room to breathe. That typically means that the speakers need to be in a good sized room and that they need to not be near any walls (including the front wall). Just an FYI.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just a little update, I ordered the Monitor Audio Silver 8's as well as a Silver Center a couple of days ago, I just got them in and they sound incredible! I am still awaiting my new sub (SVS SB-1000) so hopefully the full setup can be done by next week.
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-31-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Just a little update, I ordered the Monitor Audio Silver 8's as well as a Silver Center a couple of days ago, I just got them in and they sound incredible! I am still awaiting my new sub (SVS SB-1000) so hopefully the full setup can be done by next week.
Enjoy the adventure - Monitor Audio makes good stuff

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page