AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   $2000 - 5.1 Klipsch Setup with receiver (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1612794-2000-5-1-klipsch-setup-receiver.html)

Drunkentoad 07-22-2014 05:02 AM

$2000 - 5.1 Klipsch Setup with receiver

Hello

17 x 12 feet room
I just purchased a Samsung F8500
I'm currently using Logitech z5500 and they're great but not as loud anymore (maybe I'm going deaf). I studied a year of audio engineering in university, so between bad speakers and good ones I can tell the difference but I'm no expert.
I'm looking for a 5.1 setup with receiver, soft cap of $2000 but no more than $2500.
The only item on my radar currently is are the Take Classic 5.1 since I know they will be better than the z5500 and I'll be saving some money. I also really enjoy klipsch and looking for a package for them but don't know where to start and if it's feasible with my budget.

My only major issue is that I'm in Canada so a lot of stuff I find reviews for doesn't exist here.
I can use bestbuy.ca, futureshop.ca, amazon.ca, newegg.ca or any place that can ship online. Preferably going to buy something in store but ordering line is acceptable.

Thank you, I appreciate all the help.

commsysman 07-22-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkentoad (Post 25941938)
Hello

17 x 12 feet room
I just purchased a Samsung F8500
I'm currently using Logitech z5500 and they're great but not as loud anymore (maybe I'm going deaf). I studied a year of audio engineering in university, so between bad speakers and good ones I can tell the difference but I'm no expert.
I'm looking for a 5.1 setup with receiver, soft cap of $2000 but no more than $2500.
The only item on my radar currently is are the Take Classic 5.1 since I know they will be better than the z5500 and I'll be saving some money. I also really enjoy klipsch and looking for a package for them but don't know where to start and if it's feasible with my budget.

My only major issue is that I'm in Canada so a lot of stuff I find reviews for doesn't exist here.
I can use bestbuy.ca, futureshop.ca, amazon.ca, newegg.ca or any place that can ship online. Preferably going to buy something in store but ordering line is acceptable.

Thank you, I appreciate all the help.

If I had that budget, my first choice would be a system composed of a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, a PSB C4 center speaker, and pair of Image B5 or B4 speakers.

That should run right around $1800 list, but I understand that PSB dealers in Canada (there are dozens of them) discount PSB products since the company is Canadian. I am sure that you can get a discount on the package.

Those are WAY better-sounding speakers than anything Klipsch makes for under $4000 IMO. The Take Classic is very inadequate; tiny front speakers with little performance. You can probably find one in your local trash bin where a disgusted owner has dumped it.

Check the PSB website for your nearest dealer in the dealer locator.

For a receiver, I suggest the NAD T748, which is $600. There should be no problem finding NAD dealers in Canada; they are world-wide.

BTW- I had the T6 speakers for two years and loved them. I have since upgraded to some Vandersteen Treo speakers, but if i hadn't had the $6500 for them, I would have stayed with the T6 speakers. They really are excellent.

Another alternative, if you want to buy a "package" system in one bundle, is the Polk TSX 5.1 system, which is a complete 5.1 speaker system for around $1300 or so, including a pair of Polk TSX440 tower speakers.

Drunkentoad 07-22-2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commsysman (Post 25943034)
If I had that budget, my first choice would be a system composed of a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, a PSB C4 center speaker, and pair of Image B5 or B4 speakers.

That should run right around $1800 list, but I understand that PSB dealers in Canada (there are dozens of them) discount PSB products since the company is Canadian. I am sure that you can get a discount on the package.

Those are WAY better-sounding speakers than anything Klipsch makes for under $4000 IMO. The Take Classic is very inadequate; tiny front speakers with little performance. You can probably find one in your local trash bin where a disgusted owner has dumped it.

Check the PSB website for your nearest dealer in the dealer locator.

For a receiver, I suggest the NAD T748, which is $600. There should be no problem finding NAD dealers in Canada; they are world-wide.

BTW- I had the T6 speakers for two years and loved them. I have since upgraded to some Vandersteen Treo speakers, but if i hadn't had the $6500 for them, I would have stayed with the T6 speakers. They really are excellent.

Another alternative, if you want to buy a "package" system in one bundle, is the Polk TSX 5.1 system, which is a complete 5.1 speaker system for around $1300 or so, including a pair of Polk TSX440 tower speakers.

Thank you for the reply. I'm looking at klipsch reference and I don't see them working in my budget. Im also okay with the idea of 2500 klipsch reference 2.1 with receiver and adding on elements over the next two months, which might be a wise investment.

PSB have had good reviews and as a Canadian I like the idea of supporting the Canadian company so I will throw them in to the mix.

I'll also take a look at the polk ones but given the choice I'd rather get the 2.1 higher end and add on items over time. 2500 is my hard cap for the month. 4000 soft and 5000 hard cap for the year if that changes any opinions.

伍达贤 07-22-2014 08:14 AM

With $2,000, I would just go built up a nice 2.1 stereo system first, than built it way up to 5.1-7.1 later on, when I got the money or feel the need. So far with the PSB M2 and Velodyne SPL1000R I got, I'm loving it more than my old Paradigm Millenia 3.0 with APD 5.1. All I'm trying to say is built your system around the left and right speakers. If you don't mind used gears, buy used and save.

cel4145 07-22-2014 08:06 PM

PSB are definitely a good value for you since you are in Canada. Sometimes Futureshop will have specials on the Klipsch that make them a decent value as well.

Drunkentoad 07-23-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel4145 (Post 25966298)
PSB are definitely a good value for you since you are in Canada. Sometimes Futureshop will have specials on the Klipsch that make them a decent value as well.

I looked in to that. Futureshop only has rebranded klipsch speakers. So I won't know which model they are. Which makes me worried since klipsch doesn't acknowledge them on their site.

cel4145 07-23-2014 02:49 PM

Some Klipsch aficionado would likely know: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...er-thread.html

伍达贤 07-23-2014 04:35 PM

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/class...me_asc&page=11

Can give this site a try.

Kini62 07-23-2014 08:19 PM

The Polk TSX speakers are crap. The Psb t6 and related have just been replaced with new models.

I would look to the new infinity reference line and a good sub. Put half your speaker budget to the sub or subs. It's the most important part of the home theater setup. Spend as little as possible in the AVR.

Drunkentoad 07-24-2014 05:20 AM

As a follow up I saw the image t5 with the PSB 200 sub and denon x2000 receiver. I like the package a lot BUT PSB is releasing their Imagine line. The x1t is a bit more so I'm considering waiting until they become available.

伍达贤 07-24-2014 06:01 AM

Drunkentoad, use google or the site I posted in here to find those dealers that are closest to you and audition for all the speakers around your price point. It's always better to buy what your ears like the most but than I bought this PSB M2 base on a review, that he compared it with Paradigm sig.

lemonslush 07-29-2014 11:08 AM

Give the guys at avs a call and see what they can do for you. You will be surprised at the pricing and theywill make suggestions for what works best on your budget and room needs.