help with speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 7
help with speaker placement

So, I am needing some help regarding placement of my new speakers. I will be using either the AJ Pioneers or the Infinity Primus line. Either way, I will be using towers in the front. I have attached a diagram of my room layout, including where my current speakers are (the rear old speakers are ceiling mounted). I would like suggestions regarding placement for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. One thing I am wondering is whether I can accommodate a 7.1 setup and that's why I am seeking the suggestions. I would look to wall mount for aesthetics provided I won't see a drop in speaker performance.

Regarding wall mounts, these are a couple I have been looking at: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clam...ker+wall+mount

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Mount...ker+wall+mount

If I end up with stands, I was considering these because my couch is about 35 inches to the top: http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-...speaker+stands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	174834  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I would probably stick with 5.1 for the time being unless you want to mount speakers in the middle of your ceiling. Regarding placement, you want your side surrounds above and slightly behind the listening position. I would try and move them forward some to maybe a foot behind the couch, then aim them down at the couch. Those clamp mounts should work, they seem to be pretty popular. I would recommend a second sub over the extra surrounds, you have a big open space so a second sub will add some output, but more importantly improve the quality of the bass.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would probably stick with 5.1 for the time being unless you want to mount speakers in the middle of your ceiling. Regarding placement, you want your side surrounds above and slightly behind the listening position. I would try and move them forward some to maybe a foot behind the couch, then aim them down at the couch. Those clamp mounts should work, they seem to be pretty popular. I would recommend a second sub over the extra surrounds, you have a big open space so a second sub will add some output, but more importantly improve the quality of the bass.
Thank you for responding. I just wanted to ask you a couple of follow up questions. Regarding the second sub, do you still recommend that even if I go with an SVS PB1000 or one of the Outlaw subs on sale? I have yet to purchase a receiver to replace my current Onkyo that has an hdmi port not working. If I need two subs do I need any special ports on the new AVR. A couple I have been looking at are the Denon X2000 and the Denon X1000.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding ceiling speakers if going to a 7.1. Somehow, I hadn't thought of that because I was thinking bookshelves couldn't be mounted that way even though that is currently how my rear speakers are mounted. Do you have any suggestions regarding that if I at some point went that way? Would all the surrounds need to "match?" I was considering bipole/dipole speakers for surrounds but thought they needed to match and got fairly lost in that thread. I"m fairly new to whole home theater even though I have some existing speakers.

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 07-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
Thank you for responding. I just wanted to ask you a couple of follow up questions. Regarding the second sub, do you still recommend that even if I go with an SVS PB1000 or one of the Outlaw subs on sale? I have yet to purchase a receiver to replace my current Onkyo that has an hdmi port not working. If I need two subs do I need any special ports on the new AVR. A couple I have been looking at are the Denon X2000 and the Denon X1000.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding ceiling speakers if going to a 7.1. Somehow, I hadn't thought of that because I was thinking bookshelves couldn't be mounted that way even though that is currently how my rear speakers are mounted. Do you have any suggestions regarding that if I at some point went that way? Would all the surrounds need to "match?" I was considering bipole/dipole speakers for surrounds but thought they needed to match and got fairly lost in that thread. I"m fairly new to whole home theater even though I have some existing speakers.
I will always recommend two subs, even if you go with a better one to begin with. You don't have to get 2 right away, but at some point it is a worthwhile upgrade. If you can stretch and pick up one of the Outlaw subs, that would be a great decision. You don't need anything more than an RCA Y-splitter. Those receivers with 2 sub pre-outs simply have an internal Y splitter built in, so there is no difference in sound quality. Either is a good option, though I would lean towards a 7.1 receiver so you have that option in the future.

This is a great guide for speaker placement: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...tup/index.html

If you added rear surrounds to make it 7.1, you would just need a ceiling clamp-mount to hold the speakers in place. I don't think the Pioneers/Primus have keyhole mounts, but you don't need to match your surrounds to the front three, so you could go with something like the Polk OWM3/5 instead. Bipoles versus direct fire speakers is more of a preference. You really need to hear both to understand the difference, as it is hard to convey. I use bookshelves for my surrounds and am very happy with their performance.

Living Room

Computer
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I will always recommend two subs, even if you go with a better one to begin with. You don't have to get 2 right away, but at some point it is a worthwhile upgrade. If you can stretch and pick up one of the Outlaw subs, that would be a great decision. You don't need anything more than an RCA Y-splitter. Those receivers with 2 sub pre-outs simply have an internal Y splitter built in, so there is no difference in sound quality. Either is a good option, though I would lean towards a 7.1 receiver so you have that option in the future.

This is a great guide for speaker placement: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sur...tup/index.html

If you added rear surrounds to make it 7.1, you would just need a ceiling clamp-mount to hold the speakers in place. I don't think the Pioneers/Primus have keyhole mounts, but you don't need to match your surrounds to the front three, so you could go with something like the Polk OWM3/5 instead. Bipoles versus direct fire speakers is more of a preference. You really need to hear both to understand the difference, as it is hard to convey. I use bookshelves for my surrounds and am very happy with their performance.
Thanks again for the response! Just want to make sure I understand you regarding the two subs. Do both subs need to be the same if adding a 2nd sub?

On the surrounds, are you saying this would be okay to use as a 7.1 setup (want to make sure I'm clear):

Infinity 363's, PC 351 center, P163/153/143 for side surrounds, and the Polks for back surround (mounted to ceiling)
Pioneer 52's, C 22 center, 22's for side surrounds, and the Polks for back surround (mounted to ceiling)
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm or deny the questions posed in my last post (post #5 )?

Last edited by Warner2Bruce; 07-22-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for the response! Just want to make sure I understand you regarding the two subs. Do both subs need to be the same if adding a 2nd sub?

On the surrounds, are you saying this would be okay to use as a 7.1 setup (want to make sure I'm clear):

Infinity 363's, PC 351 center, P163/153/143 for side surrounds, and the Polks for back surround (mounted to ceiling)
Pioneer 52's, C 22 center, 22's for side surrounds, and the Polks for back surround (mounted to ceiling)
It is generally best to have matching subs, otherwise integrating them together becomes more difficult.

Those setups would work alright, but you could use the Polks for all 4 surrounds if you want. I probably wouldn't mix the rear and side surrounds, but the back four don't have to match the front three.

Living Room

Computer
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Given the size of my room, am i going to see much difference between the SVS PB-1000 vs. the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus?
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, since you have a big open space, the more output you have the better your bass will sound. The Plus is definitely a better sub and with the sale it is definitely the way to go. Even the EX for $100 more is an excellent deal, and is rated for large rooms like yours.

Living Room

Computer
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to pick up one of these Outlaw subs before the sale ends. What is the difference between the two? Does anyone else feel the EX is the way to go too even though the room is much larger than the seating area for home theater?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am going to pick up one of these Outlaw subs before the sale ends. What is the difference between the two? Does anyone else feel the EX is the way to go too even though the room is much larger than the seating area for home theater?
That's the whole reason to get the EX. A sub has to pressurize the entire connected volume of an area to work properly. So if you have an open kitchen connected to your living room for example, the volume of both rooms is what the sub sees. The EX is going to dig a little deeper and have higher output, at the sale price I would definitely recommend it. It is certified by Audioholics for a large room, so would definitely be appropriate in your space.

Living Room

Computer
post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's the whole reason to get the EX. A sub has to pressurize the entire connected volume of an area to work properly. So if you have an open kitchen connected to your living room for example, the volume of both rooms is what the sub sees. The EX is going to dig a little deeper and have higher output, at the sale price I would definitely recommend it. It is certified by Audioholics for a large room, so would definitely be appropriate in your space.
I went ahead and ordered the Outlaw Ex subwoofer. I'm sure it will blow me away compared to the little bass module that came with the Bose cube speakers I inherited.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page