AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   How does this setup look? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1613450-how-does-setup-look.html)

Irishman07 07-22-2014 01:15 PM

How does this setup look?
 
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on my first real HT system that isn't from a box. It's for my living room, which measures 20x15x9, with TV above fireplace and large built in bookshelves to either side, where I'm planning on putting the L and R channel bookshelf speakers.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-675 $350

Main speakers: Polk RTI A3 $230 for pair

Center Channel: Polk CSI A4 $144 (wanted to go with A6 but worried it might be too big to mount under TV)

Rear speakers: Polk OM5 $160 for pair

Subwoofer: SVS PB1000 $500

Total: $1384

I have a budget of $1500 so there is slight wiggle room if I want to upgrade part of it. My main concern is if the system will be powerful enough, since the room is fairly large at 2700 cf and it is also open in the back to the kitchen. I liked the Polks because they seem to get very good reviews for their price range, and my friend is hooking me up with what seem to be very good prices on them. I don't know much about the receiver, but it also seems to get good reviews and the price is pretty discounted from a retail of I believe $650. Any difference between the RX-675 and the RX-677? I think I could get the 677 for the same price.

Lastly, the subwoofer seemed to be constantly mentioned in the threads I've been reading on here as the go to subwoofer for $500 or less. Will the 10" be powerful enough for the space, or should I maybe upgrade to something like Rythmik LV12R for $599? The system will be used primarily for TV and movies, maybe only 10% of the time used for music.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

crazyrob425 07-22-2014 03:07 PM

If you are willing to spend up to $600 on a subwoofer You should really look at the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, its currently on sale for $599 shipped, saving you about 150 dollars. Its an amazing subwoofer for the current price.

They also have an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus on sale for $499 shipped another great deal. Alot of people forget about the Outlaw subwoofers but when they are on sale they are amazing deals.

Set-up does look good. I like the RTi-Series I have RTi4's

cel4145 07-22-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrob425 (Post 25959154)
If you are willing to spend up to $600 on a subwoofer You should really look at the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, its currently on sale for $599 shipped, saving you about 150 dollars. Its an amazing subwoofer for the current price.

They also have an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus on sale for $499 shipped another great deal. Alot of people forget about the Outlaw subwoofers but when they are on sale they are amazing deals.

Agreed. And the LFM-1 Plus is a better sub than the PB-1000.

mtn-tech 07-22-2014 11:40 PM

I like both Outlaw Audio and SVS so I'm not going to question sub selection.

But I think you will be selling your HT short with that smaller center channel - you should go with the larger CSiA6 which obviously has better bass response and is "timbre-matched to the RTiA series" - and it is less than 1 inch taller than the smaller center (but it is 5" deeper)

chalugadp 07-23-2014 01:40 AM

Go to this site
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion8-kit.html
And buy 4 of those and one of these
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...8-mtm-kit.html

Buy the flatpacks on the site with premade crossovers. Just have to assemble pre cut pieces and hook up terminals. These speakers absolutely destroy the Polks. Go to diy section and spend a couple of hours. Don't take just my word. You will see dozens of people who have went from Polks or equivalent to these. Same money spent but way better.

hotrod351 07-23-2014 03:20 AM

difference between the RX-675 and the RX-677. check on yamaha's website, both are great amps.

Transmaniacon 07-23-2014 04:52 AM

+1 on the Outlaw sub, I am seriously debating grabbing an EX myself. You also should check out the Polk Ebay Store, they have some excellent prices on new items with warranties (this is their official store).

cel4145 07-23-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 25971618)
+1 on the Outlaw sub, I am seriously debating grabbing an EX myself. You also should check out the Polk Ebay Store, they have some excellent prices on new items with warranties (this is their official store).

There's no debate. The difference between the BIC F12 and the EX is at least as much as the difference between your EMP E55Ti and your SuperZeroes. You should whip out that credit card now and place your order :)

Transmaniacon 07-23-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel4145 (Post 25973818)
There's no debate. The difference between the BIC F12 and the EX is at least as much as the difference between your EMP E55Ti and your SuperZeroes. You should whip out that credit card now and place your order :)

Its so tempting! The only downside is I am in an apartment so I can't enjoy it to it's fullest :( What is the normal price of the EX and is shipping always free?

crazyrob425 07-23-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 25971618)
+1 on the Outlaw sub, I am seriously debating grabbing an EX myself. You also should check out the Polk Ebay Store, they have some excellent prices on new items with warranties (this is their official store).

x2

The Polk RTi6's (previous version of Polk RTi A3's) are only $200 a pair. I had a pair of RTi A1's the current version of my RTi4's to compare and the sound was almost identical. Only thing I like about the RTiA-series is they look better. But thats not enough to justify the price for me.

The larger matching center to the RTi6's available Polk CSi5 (previous version of CSi A6) for $234. They even have the "smaller" CSi3 center available for $160

Irishman07 07-23-2014 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far! Think I'll definitely add $100 on to the budget and go with the Outlaw EX.

DIY is certainly intriguing, but I'm not the most handy person so I think that may be biting off slightly more than I can chew at this point. Might be an option down the road when I want to upgrade and have more time available to spend.

I am definitely struggling trying to figure out a way to make the Polk CSI A6 work, but it just seems so big! My TV is above the fireplace, which has about an 8" depth mantle about 10" below the bottom of the TV. I think the CSI A4 would rest ok on the mantle, but not the A6. I'd have to either mount the A6 somehow on the wall (not sure wife would go for that with it sticking out so far) or set it next to the TV on either side bookshelf. The bookshelves start about 10" from the sides of the TV, and each shelf is about 4.8 feet wide x 2 feet deep on each side, so there would be plenty of room to fit both a center channel and a bookshelf speaker on one shelf. That being said, I'm not sure if having the center channel off to one side would be a bad idea.

Transmaniacon 07-23-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman07 (Post 25975146)
Thanks for all the responses so far! Think I'll definitely add $100 on to the budget and go with the Outlaw EX.

DIY is certainly intriguing, but I'm not the most handy person so I think that may be biting off slightly more than I can chew at this point. Might be an option down the road when I want to upgrade and have more time available to spend.

I am definitely struggling trying to figure out a way to make the Polk CSI A6 work, but it just seems so big! My TV is above the fireplace, which has about an 8" depth mantle about 10" below the bottom of the TV. I think the CSI A4 would rest ok on the mantle, but not the A6. I'd have to either mount the A6 somehow on the wall (not sure wife would go for that with it sticking out so far) or set it next to the TV on either side bookshelf. The bookshelves start about 10" from the sides of the TV, and each shelf is about 4.8 feet wide x 2 feet deep on each side, so there would be plenty of room to fit both a center channel and a bookshelf speaker on one shelf. That being said, I'm not sure if having the center channel off to one side would be a bad idea.

Yes it would be a bad idea, it defeats the purpose of having the center channel. It sounds like the smaller A4 is what you need to stick with.

cel4145 07-23-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transmaniacon (Post 25974058)
Its so tempting! The only downside is I am in an apartment so I can't enjoy it to it's fullest :( What is the normal price of the EX and is shipping always free?

Nope. Shipping is not always free. I think it usually runs you ~$750 shipped (not sure).

In your case, the Plus is probably a good choice. Same driver and amp as the EX in a bit smaller enclosure. Sound quality wise they should be the same. So what you lose is a little bit of low end extension (-2db 18hz instead of -2db 16hz) and a little max SPL (which you don't need for your apartment). I have not heard the BIC F12, but my neighbor has the PSW505 which is often described similarly in SQ to the BIC F12. And there's a big difference in SQ between the EX and the PSW505, as well as the benefit of the lower extension and better output. I think you would enjoy the Plus even if you can't drive it very loud.

AlphaPie 07-23-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalugadp (Post 25970114)
Go to this site
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion8-kit.html
And buy 4 of those and one of these
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...8-mtm-kit.html

Buy the flatpacks on the site with premade crossovers. Just have to assemble pre cut pieces and hook up terminals. These speakers absolutely destroy the Polks. Go to diy section and spend a couple of hours. Don't take just my word. You will see dozens of people who have went from Polks or equivalent to these. Same money spent but way better.

Take his advice. I have polks now and will probably get the fusion 10 speaker kits from diysoundgroup as my next purchase. After I built a DIY sub, with chalugadp's help, I found the value/quality over big brand speakers even ID brands is incredible. Plus the work you put into the speakers when building them gives you a great sense of satisfaction when using them, and easy to repair in the future.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.