1.7 Magnepan vs 3.7i Magnepan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1.7 Magnepan vs 3.7i Magnepan

I have 1.7 maggies that I listen to a lot of acoustical music along with progressive jazz and at time my favorite ban, Van Halen.
I did listen to the 3.7i maggies today and not to sure if there is a $4,000.00 listening difference, although my dealer will sell them to me for $5600.00. Has anyone compared the two? If so, what are your feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Does auditioning the 1.7 vs the 3.6 count? If so, I've auditioned both for many, many hours and ended up with the 3.6. That being said, I was incredibly impressed by what the 1.7 could do. Add a good sub to the mix and your home free … well, not free. Good subs cost good money. Heck, I added an SB13-Ultra to my 3.6 Maggies and am glad I did.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I have 2 Velodyne Optimum 12" subs. But again, I'm not to sure sound/listening difference. I couldn't do a comparison at the dealer cause they ran out of the 1.7. The 3.7i sounded great but not sure if they sounded that great.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Since you already have a subwoofer (two, actually), then I don't see a great benefit to the 3.7. I felt the 3.6 and 3.7 were too close in sound quality for me to make a blanket statement (I auditioned the 3.7 about a year after I purchased the 3.6 -- only because I was curious). I felt the 1.7 was a tad veiled compared to the 3.6, but for its price vs. the 3.x, it is one terrific speaker and a wonderful value.

If I were to upgrade anything, it would be your subwoofers. But if you only listen to music and not watch movies, the Optima is a pretty good sub, looks great and even gives you a remote (although I don't know why one would use a remote).
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just talked to the dealer and was informed that what I was listening to was the 3.7. Now I guess I will have to wait til the 3.7i's are in to audition them
post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Might be a good idea. I haven't heard the updated 3.7, but they updated it for a reason.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Now the question I have to ask is if there is a big listening difference between the 3.7 and the 3.7i. The dealer just gave me a great price on the 3.7 maggie floor model I listened today.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have not heard those specific models.

The larger panel area and true ribbon tweeter is what drove me to the 3.x series over the II models years ago. None of the listening I have done since then has changed my opinion that the 3.x is a significant step up from the 1.x series but it is a very personal thing.

I have read opinions from "wow" to "subtle" on the 3.7 to 3.7i. If you are cost-conscious I would ask the dealer if you can try the 3.7's in your room or ask when he'll have the 1.7's in stock. Make sure to listen to them in the same room with the same equipment. Years ago I was debating among several speakers with the 3 and 20 series in the mix. At the time the 20's were way ahead of the 3's. The dealer said it was the room and set up the 3's in the same room as the 20's. The differences almost vanished and I stayed with the 3's. To me the step-up from the non-ribbon II's to the larger ribbon-tweeter III's was significant and I felt worth it. The bass was extended and the true ribbon tweeter sounded much better to me than the planer or quasi-ribbon tweeter. I have no idea if the difference is as large between the 1.7 and 3.7 (or 3.7i).

That said, only you can decide if it is worth the price. Don't get rushed into it. Try to work out a deal that allows you to listen to both first. I was lucky to work for a Magnepan dealer in college and was able to do a lot of comparing, but of course the models are fundamentally different now.

YMMV - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. The dealer is willing to sell me the 3.7 (floor model) for $4500.00and that's what I heard today but we thought we were listening to the 3.7i. The dealer was nice enough to call me to let me know that, otherwise I would have thought I was listening to the 3.7i. I have the 1.7 being driven by 2 Emotiva XPR-1 monos. I like my music loud and on the "brighter" side.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I would guess you'll like the 3.7's ribbon tweeter if you like it "bright" but you'll have to decide if you like them $4500 worth... My old IIIa's were under $2k when I got them.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #11 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 0
ribbon tweeter is what you should be considering in an upgrade for any maggi. Having 3.5 maggis with prices now much better on the pocket book the high notes are covered well. As a maggi sound chaser on a budget I'd spend money on the amp. as they can handle a lot of watts and a tube preamp. For best bang for the buck sound wise. If money no object well that is another subject.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I can't give you 1.7 vs 3.7i but I can give you 1.6 vs 3.6 both of which I own / did own.

The difference between the quasi-ribbon 1.6 & ribbon'd 3.6 is not subtle. It's readily apparent in resolution, enhanced soundstage "depth" cues, better imaging, plus there's lower bass extension.

I have a particular Opus 3 reference recording that was used in auditioning 90's vintage Soundlab e-stats that had tremendous apparent depth. with 1.6's, the sense of depth was compressed for lack of better word while the 3.6's brought it back to what I recalled from the Soundlabs. Speakers in the same room, same position, same amp, same player & electronics.

Now, at my local Maggie dealer, I have noticed in several demos that this recording for whatever reason doesn't give quite the same illusion of depth in the middle with 3.7 & 3.7i's that I get with 3.6's. I have no explanation nor does the dealer & Wendell Diller @ Magnepan absolutely won't comment on design differences between 3.6 vs 3.7 and 3.7 vs 3.7i. But I suspicion they've made some crossover as well as the driver changes between the 3.6 & 3.7i to get the better integration. Of course, his demo room is completely different with different amps & player. While I've listened to both 3.7 & 3.7i at my dealer, they were a year apart in 2 different rooms so I can't tell you if difference it's subtle or big.

But the bottom line is if you have the budget for the 3.7i, don't hesitate to get those over the 1.7. If you go for the 1.7's, you may find yourself in the position I was - trading them in for the 3.7i in several yrs. Might as well save yourself time and get the 3.7i to begin with

While the 1.7 is the sweet spot in the line & fantastic speaker for the money, the 3.7i is just a better speaker.

I completely agree with these comments from DonH50:

"None of the listening I have done since then has changed my opinion that the 3.x is a significant step up from the 1.x series but it is a very personal thing."

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-27-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page