mirage omd 15 omnis as surrounds? emp tek, htd, chane arx or ascend in front? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
mirage omd 15 omnis as surrounds? emp tek, htd, chane arx or ascend in front?

Hey guys and gals.

After mucho research I have narrowed my sub down to rhythmic
Lv12r

I have read all I can about all the loudspeakers listed in this post. I don't have the freedom to audition any of them.

My mains and center is the hard choice. If anyone could chime in on any of the speakers listed below that would be much appreciated & helpful. All will have matching center

1. Emp tek e55ti
2. Chane arx a3rx-c
3. HTD level 3 bookshelf or tower
4. Ascend Sierra 1 no upgrades

I have also found on craiglist the
1. Def tech bp30 towers
2 axiom m50 v3
3. Monitor audio silver s8
All for killer deals.

Any input on those would be helpful too and if you recommend any of group 2 over any in group 1

My main question is the mirage omd 15 omnidirectional tower.

For the price of entry monopole surrounds I can get an almost new pair of these this weekend. I know towers for surrounds is overkill but why not for that price? Wouldn't these give a better surround feeling? And since theyre towers they'll do music too.

Disregard My room type and size. I already considered that and the room factor will not stay constant.

Will power then with a good denon avr. Maybe get a 2 channel off eBay one day...

Please help me. I need you guys' experience and expertise.

Last edited by richabi; 07-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I'm not a fan of Chane as a company, so I'd go with Emp Tek towers or the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs.

The Rythmik F12 is a good sub, but it is a sealed sub, which means less output than a ported sub. Are you sure you will have enough sub for your room? How big is it? Usually that sub would be best in a small to smaller-medium sized room.

Most people can't place towers well for surrounds because they would need to be up in the air more. And since surrounds are mainly for fill, and you already will have a good sub to fill in the low end, better to put your money toward better front speakers or maybe even dual subs.

The Def Tech bipole towers are REALLY picky about placement.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Why not get 4 Omni 15's and use 2 as fronts and 2 as surrounds. If you're getting such a good price then get 4 if possible.

Afro GT
post #4 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I auditioned a pair of Chane speakers not too long ago, they are great budget home theater speaker. Good bass for their size and a nice warm sound which makes them perfectly suited to home theater IMO.

Haven't heard the other speakers on your list but I know they are well regarded.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Yamaha RX-A740 Aventage. 125dB @30hz, 16hz @ -3dB
Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX
Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #5 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oops sorry guys correction I want the lv12r sub.

Thanks for The advise so far guys

Last edited by richabi; 07-25-2014 at 05:34 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richabi View Post
Oops sorry guys correction I want the lv12r sub.
Good difference in max output between that and the F12

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #7 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone can input on the chane arx a3 vs the emptek e55ti? I can't wait till the end of the year for the a5 to come out and it would be pushing my budget. I could save some money and get the a3 which I am sure will be awesome for HT and gaming but how loud will they get compared to the emptek? The a3 has higher sensitivity but the emptek has more drivers which I feel would be better for music.

I have always wanted ribbon tweeters but do they have any advantage over the tweeter of the emptek? I know the finish of the emptek isn't the best but it surely is better than the arx. Sound is def more important and reading that shootout between the HTD, EMPTEK and ARX speakers here on avs I got even more confused. the OP and his friends first picked arx as the winner then the second better performed evaluation, they all picked the emptek as the winner.

Anyone hear these side by side? Are the center channels about equal? I just want to be done with all these late night research marathons. Wish I could audition these things.

Any input is helpful
post #8 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The Chane speakers don't use a ribbon tweeter. It's a planar tweeter. Similar but different. Planers are much more robust.

Both the EMPs and Chanes are great, well reviewed speakers. You can't go wrong with either one. The Chanes are the only ones I heard so I can't comment on the EMPs.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyone can input on the chane arx a3 vs the emptek e55ti? I can't wait till the end of the year for the a5 to come out and it would be pushing my budget. I could save some money and get the a3 which I am sure will be awesome for HT and gaming but how loud will they get compared to the emptek? The a3 has higher sensitivity but the emptek has more drivers which I feel would be better for music.

I have always wanted ribbon tweeters but do they have any advantage over the tweeter of the emptek? I know the finish of the emptek isn't the best but it surely is better than the arx. Sound is def more important and reading that shootout between the HTD, EMPTEK and ARX speakers here on avs I got even more confused. the OP and his friends first picked arx as the winner then the second better performed evaluation, they all picked the emptek as the winner.

Anyone hear these side by side? Are the center channels about equal? I just want to be done with all these late night research marathons. Wish I could audition these things.

Any input is helpful
When you see evaluations of speakers coming out that close (as in the shootout), you are down to your personal listening tastes as being the deciding influence. Reading more on the Internet and gathering more opinions probably won't bring you any closer to the right decision for you than you are right now.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
When you see evaluations of speakers coming out that close (as in the shootout), you are down to your personal listening tastes as being the deciding influence. Reading more on the Internet and gathering more opinions probably won't bring you any closer to the right decision for you than you are right now.
Very good point
post #11 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Any input is helpful
This is a great read: Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout

tl;dr he ended up with the EMPs, but all three speakers are excellent.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #12 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
This is a great read: Arx A5 vs. HTD Level Three vs. EMP E55Ti tower shootout

tl;dr he ended up with the EMPs, but all three speakers are excellent.
Yes it is. He actually lives nearby me. I got a pm from him and He mentioned the HTD has more clarity but I thought He said the emptek did after He tested them the second time After repositioning them. I'm torn between the planar ribbon and soft some tweeter. I like wide, enveloping detailed, natural sound. Don't like too bright of highs but like clarity. The emptek would be the cheapest option for me. I liken the size and tech of the arx but I'm afraid their finishing Might not last. HTD level 3 I'm unbiased About really. Arx a5 isn't available until end of year. A3 will cost me the same as b stock emptek e55 so why would I but a3?

The op of the thread said He would get bookshelves if He could do it all over. I can get ascend sierrs 1 LCR and 170 for rears for 950 shipped but they're about out of warranty... decisions decisions. This is difficult.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm torn between the planar ribbon and soft some tweeter. I like wide, enveloping detailed, natural sound. Don't like too bright of highs but like clarity.
I wouldn't stress too much on soft vs planar. Go by how people say that they sound. Implementation is so important in a design.

Quote:
I can get ascend sierrs 1 LCR and 170 for rears for 950 shipped but they're about out of warranty... decisions decisions. This is difficult.
If you can get the Sierra 1s (not the CMT-340s) for that price, you should jump on it. Then, you can always upgrade the tweeter to the NrT upgrade, or even the Sierra 2 upgrade, all on your own

post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't stress too much on soft vs planar. Go by how people say that they sound. Implementation is so important in a design.

If you can get the Sierra 1s (not the CMT-340s) for that price, you should jump on it. Then, you can always upgrade the tweeter to the NrT upgrade, or even the Sierra 2 upgrade, all on your own
+1, the Sierra's would be great and if you are running a sub, then getting bookshelves makes a lot of sense.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
+1, the Sierra's would be great and if you are running a sub, then getting bookshelves makes a lot of sense.
Quote:

Yeah... only problem I Have With them is they are 5 years old so the 170 is out of warranty and the sierras Have 2 years left. And my girl doesn't like the bamboo color And the 170s are a big speaker to use as surrounds
How Would you say they sound to those Philharmonic speakers?
post #16 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I do not know how the Philharmonics sound.

However, speakers that age generally don't have problems if they haven't had any already. It's not like buying a car or even electronics like a receiver. And they generally last for many years more.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not know how the Philharmonics sound.

However, speakers that age generally don't have problems if they haven't had any already. It's not like buying a car or even electronics like a receiver. And they generally last for many years more.
+1 Someone who bought Sierra's probably takes this hobby seriously and has taken care of them. Speakers will last a LONG time, and so I wouldn't worry about their age.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page