Help me choose: Deftech7000 or Totem Staff - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Help me choose: Deftech7000 or Totem Staff

Hi all, I've got an itch to upgrade my speakers. My local shop has a couple of open boxes in stick that they'll give me a great deal on, including the DT 7000s or Totem Staff both with matching centers.

They're very different speakers. The totem s are petite but seem to be really efficient and gave excellent clarity. On the other hand the dt7000s are huge, but have built in subwoofers and amps and are well reviewed

My current speakers are Goldenear Triton 7s and the matching scxl center. I've got two diy 18" sealed sub's already so am not lacking bass, but could always go for more.

The room is 21' deep, with the left side mostly open to a longer basement rec room. The screen wall is in a 12' wide nook about 4 feet deep.

Any thoughts are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 171
What is it about your current speakers that has you looking to upgrade? Speaking of reviews, the Triton's have been glowing.

As far as choosing between the two, since you have subs already, the subs in the 7000 are not really necessary (unless you feel you need the reinforcement). Don't let the size of the speaker or other's reviews make the decision for you. In the end, you are going to have to live with them, so go back with familiar music/movies and let your ears decide.
gulliBELL likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Ray. The honest answer is that I'm quite happy with the tritons, but have some extra funds headed my way and would like to use some of it to upgrade my theater. I'm definitely going to spend a bit on some bass trapping and accoustic
Panels but I came across some good deals and thought I'd look into the speakers.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Believe me, I understand wanting to upgrade. I also know good deals are hard to pass up. I'm not sure either of those are an upgrade from what you have.
gulliBELL likes this.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH55 View Post
thanks Ray. The honest answer is that I'm quite happy with the tritons, but have some extra funds headed my way and would like to use some of it to upgrade my theater. I'm definitely going to spend a bit on some bass trapping and accoustic
Panels but I came across some good deals and thought I'd look into the speakers.
Since you are reasonably happy with the speakers you have, and if it were me, I'd invest in the acoustic panels, trapping, and experiment further with speaker, sub, and seating position, before investing a wad in new speakers. Many people on this forum have mentioned that a treated room results in a far superior sound. Perhaps THAT is the real upgrade you are looking for?

That said, if you can't really quantify what it is that you are looking for / wanting that you are not currently getting, it's a quest without a goal. That is, more often than not, a good scenario for disappointment and checkbook remorse ... and a speaker salesman's dream!
gulliBELL likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, you're both right of course and ive decided to hang on to the tritons and invest in some acoustic treatndnts instead.
g_bartman likes this.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page