Crack in speaker cone, should I be concerned? [pic included] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I was not trying to say he should get seperate (amp and pre-amp).
I was telling the OP it should sound just fine after the little surgery.
As been a fool for enjoying good speakers and electronics it is an old debate.
Every up-date I did over the years was always for the better, so to each their own

Best regard

Ray
I was kind of jesting ,kind of not (from experience going back 40+ years .
In OP situation room treatments and maybe a powered sub might give him the most significant benifit for $$

And yes it's been proven time and again many times over that many audio enthusiasts 'think' an upgrade provided
substantial improvement but did not , the market depends on that in fact.
In any event sighted evaluation and expectation bias can distort the facts significantly in a lot of cases.
I've been down that road and no every up grade does not necessarily present value added improvement.
If each and every upgrade did in your case (not impossible )you are very wise or very lucky .

OP now that you've fingered your speakes near the vice coil enough by now and thus far apparently haven't caused any damage surprisingly considering the location of the repair I would recommend you put the covers back on and have a coke!
darthray likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hahaha. Agreed. I put the speaker and grill back in place. Waiting till tomorrow night to listen.
post #33 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Gave it a day and a half to cure. Speaker still works! For all I can tell it sounds perfect. Thanks for all the help my friends. I took your advice a little literally and really did have a coke. I never realized how much I would miss my speakers, the speakers on my flat panel were not cutting it.
post #34 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 333
^^ Congratulations. Glad to hear everything is fine. It has to be a good feeling to know that you did it yourself. Now you can help others that have a similar problem.
post #35 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

I know I've said it a few times, but I just want to thank all you guys again. It was a new experience for me and a bit of a scary one, there were definitely moments where I thought I'd screwed the pooch. You guys were very helpful, and very patient, and very nice about it. You even managed to get me to calm my tits when I was freaking out. Kudos. I've probably learned more about speakers browsing this site for the last few days than I'd learned in the 2 - 3 years since I bought these, which is still very little, but it's a start.
post #36 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by totesmuhgoats
I'd learned in the 2 - 3 years since I bought these, which is still very little, but it's a start.

Plenty good for small - med room add in a 8-10" powered sub do the sub woofer crawl ,place it right add modest room treatment you will think your system just got 3- 4 x bigger instantly no lie ! Best to put your speaks on short wall.
You can pick up ~ 4 or more dB SPL room gain just putting speaks in corners also more than you would with 2x more powerful amp !.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
I was kind of jesting ,kind of not (from experience going back 40+ years .
In OP situation room treatments and maybe a powered sub might give him the most significant benifit for $$

And yes it's been proven time and again many times over that many audio enthusiasts 'think' an upgrade provided
substantial improvement but did not , the market depends on that in fact.
In any event sighted evaluation and expectation bias can distort the facts significantly in a lot of cases.
I've been down that road and no every up grade does not necessarily present value added improvement.
If each and every upgrade did in your case (not impossible )you are very wise or very lucky .

OP now that you've fingered your speakes near the vice coil enough by now and thus far apparently haven't caused any damage surprisingly considering the location of the repair I would recommend you put the covers back on and have a coke!
I guess we agree on many points.
More money does not mean better sound.

Before every purchase I did, I did months of research from review (pro and customer) about every one of them.

Do I like my separete, Yes.
Do I like dual subs when only one is needed, Yes.

I have spend $23000 or so in US money on my system (audio and video only, not the room) but since I live in Canada it is a lot more!

I do not try to be a snub audio, and like to help people new this hobby, no matter their budget.

I guess we all good

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page