Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Crack in speaker cone, should I be concerned? [pic included]

Hi, I am a speaker noob and one of my Boston Acoustic CR8s has had this little crack for a while. I'm including a link since it is a small crack and might not be visible if the image gets resized.

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun/speaker.jpg

I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. Is there a need to fix it, if so, how?
As far as I can tell it doesn't affect sound quality, but I don't exactly have golden ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Is that actually a crack, or just a bit of glue? No worries if it's glue.

If it's a crack, it is probably easy and relatively inexpensive to replace the driver, if you contact the manufacturer.

Not sure if it will sound different, but it might be worth a little $ for peace of mind.
totesmuhgoats likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even consider that it might be glue. Like I said, I am very new to this.

I took some more pictures to help discern, not sure if they are helpful. Also, I ran my finger over it and it has a bit of texture, can't really tell though.
Also, I am very reluctant to touch the exposed speakers just because I worry I might damage them, but they are probably more resilient than I think they are. There shouldn't be any harm in running your finger across the cone should there?

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_123302.jpg
http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_123341.jpg
post #4 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 209
looks like glue

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Don't worry about touching it. It's not that fragile (unless it's old and ready to fall apart).

It doesn't look like glue to me, but it's difficult to tell. You might remove the speaker to see if any light shows through the apparent crack. If so, just brush on a little silicone front and back, let it dry and you are good to go. If you don't see any light, then it's not a crack, but may be a slight separation of the material on one side, which again can be coated with silicone so it doesn't proceed any further.
darthray and totesmuhgoats like this.
post #6 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Don't worry about touching it. It's not that fragile (unless it's old and ready to fall apart).

It doesn't look like glue to me, but it's difficult to tell. You might remove the speaker to see if any light shows through the apparent crack. If so, just brush on a little silicone front and back, let it dry and you are good to go. If you don't see any light, then it's not a crack, but may be a slight separation of the material on one side, which again can be coated with silicone so it doesn't proceed any further.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am a little nervous to remove the speaker. It appears to be held in place by four screws in the front, do I just remove those and pull it out? I'll try tonight when it's dark so I can see the light leak better. If I do need to use some silicone, could you link me to an example of it? Is it a liquid form?

Also, could I use the speaker while the silicone is drying? Or would that be ill advisable?
post #7 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
looks like glue
Sorry, look like a crack to me.

The driver might be save (or not) with some glue or sillicon.

Ray
totesmuhgoats likes this.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #8 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totesmuhgoats View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I am a little nervous to remove the speaker. It appears to be held in place by four screws in the front, do I just remove those and pull it out? I'll try tonight when it's dark so I can see the light leak better. If I do need to use some silicone, could you link me to an example of it? Is it a liquid form?

Also, could I use the speaker while the silicone is drying? Or would that be ill advisable?
Yeah, just undo the 4 screws and pull it out carefully (wires will be attached). Also be careful not to let the screwdriver slip when unscrewing or screwing it back in. The screwdriver can easily poke a hole into the material. But hey, that's what the silicone is for .

You can purchase silicone sealant anywhere, such as Amazon or a hardware store. I got mine from a speaker repair shop and they gave me a small bottle and little brush to apply it (you can use your fingers). Just give it a day or two to dry. And no, don't use it until the silicone is cured. Here is a sample:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8734067_fix-...subwoofer.html
post #9 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are lifesavers. I have been looking at this thing for 2 years now wondering about it. I really like the speakers so I've been nervous. I also have this nagging feeling that it's somehow affecting audio quality even though I can't perceive it. It's made me a little OCD haha.

Once the silicon is applied and dried, will the resulting audio be distinguishable from a speaker that was never cracked? (I feel like just because I can't perceive it, it doesn't mean others can't).

For the moment, I'm off to buy some silicone.
post #10 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 130
Don't use silicone. Take it out and send it to a speaker repair place like Orange County Speaker or some other more local to where you live. There are plenty of them. Get them to repair it correctly and it should be as good as new and you'll barely be able to see it. DIY and you could easily botch it.
post #11 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If there is any difference at all, it will be for the better. Radial cracks are typical in speakers that have been used for a good long time and are starting to dry out. It's an easy and quick fix.
post #12 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Don't use silicone. Take it out and send it to a speaker repair place like Orange County Speaker or some other more local to where you live. There are plenty of them. Get them to repair it correctly and it should be as good as new and you'll barely be able to see it. DIY and you could easily botch it.
Are you kidding me? Guess what speaker repair shop gave me the silicone in the first place? Yep, that's right, Orange Country Speaker Repair. Now, if the cone is suffering real damage and not typical cracks, then yes, send it to them. Or if your surrounds need re-edging. But for a small crack or small hole, use silicone and don't worry about it.
jdcrox and zieglj01 like this.
post #13 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I've done the deed. Thanks to all you guys for helping me thus far. I know I've been a pain.

So I had to apply the silicone to a larger surface area than I intended to just because fingers are not the most precise applicators. You can see where I applied in the pic below by the discolored area.

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_194704.jpg

I shone a flashlight into the front of the cone and didn't see any light bleeding through to the back, but applied a coating to the approximate area on the other side as best I could (was hard to get inside so I applied a bit of silicone to a folded post it note and sort of rubbed it about.

Here are some images of the inside of the cone:

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193438.jpg
http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193557.jpg
http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193802.jpg

Am I screwed? If I did bad I figured I could always pick up an extra CR8 on ebay, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.
Also, can I reassemble the speaker to let it dry? or should I leave the speaker outside it's enclosure while it's drying?

Also, there is a rubber around the outside of the speaker enclosure. Not the circular one, but another one that is circular on the inside, but the outside matches the shape of the plates on the speaker that you use to screw it into place. In the pic below you can see that the rubber is basically non existent anymore on 2 of the sides. Is this a problem?

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_200205.jpg

Last edited by totesmuhgoats; 07-26-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #14 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Well, for a small, thin crack, it looks like you got a bit carried away with your treatment. Fortunately, silicone is very flexible, but the next time you find a radial crack, just brush the silicon on the crack.

Let it cure for a couple of days and test it out. I don't think you will have a problem, but that was a huge area that you treated. If it has effected the efficiency, then you may require a re-coning from a speaker repair shop. Orange County Speaker Repair is known throughout the U.S (and obviously Australia as well) for the quality of their work and their competitive pricing. Every time I've been there they were very busy.

Your surrounds look fine, but the material on the box itself seems to have degraded in those areas. If those are air suspension or sealed inclosure (not ported), that could indeed affect the sound.

Let us know in a few days how it turned out.
post #15 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

The speaker enclosure does have a hole in the back, if that is what you are referring to by "ported"
post #16 of 37 Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, that is the speaker's port. You should be okay, but let us know when you fire it up.
post #17 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would stongly advice to wait for the cure time if not double!
It will more than likely be not more than a day or two.
What's a couple day to save the driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Yeah, just undo the 4 screws and pull it out carefully (wires will be attached). Also be careful not to let the screwdriver slip when unscrewing or screwing it back in. The screwdriver can easily poke a hole into the material. But hey, that's what the silicone is for .

You can purchase silicone sealant anywhere, such as Amazon or a hardware store. I got mine from a speaker repair shop and they gave me a small bottle and little brush to apply it (you can use your fingers). Just give it a day or two to dry. And no, don't use it until the silicone is cured. Here is a sample:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8734067_fix-...subwoofer.html
Good find!!!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #18 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You guys are lifesavers. I have been looking at this thing for 2 years now wondering about it. I really like the speakers so I've been nervous. I also have this nagging feeling that it's somehow affecting audio quality even though I can't perceive it. It's made me a little OCD haha.

Once the silicon is applied and dried, will the resulting audio be distinguishable from a speaker that was never cracked? (I feel like just because I can't perceive it, it doesn't mean others can't).

For the moment, I'm off to buy some silicone.
Patience is a vertue, buy the proper silicone to fix it and I see it's too LATE

Quote:
Alright, so I've done the deed. Thanks to all you guys for helping me thus far. I know I've been a pain.

So I had to apply the silicone to a larger surface area than I intended to just because fingers are not the most precise applicators. You can see where I applied in the pic below by the discolored area.

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_194704.jpg

I shone a flashlight into the front of the cone and didn't see any light bleeding through to the back, but applied a coating to the approximate area on the other side as best I could (was hard to get inside so I applied a bit of silicone to a folded post it note and sort of rubbed it about.

Here are some images of the inside of the cone:

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193438.jpg
http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193557.jpg
http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_193802.jpg

Am I screwed? If I did bad I figured I could always pick up an extra CR8 on ebay, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.
Also, can I reassemble the speaker to let it dry? or should I leave the speaker outside it's enclosure while it's drying?

Also, there is a rubber around the outside of the speaker enclosure. Not the circular one, but another one that is circular on the inside, but the outside matches the shape of the plates on the speaker that you use to screw it into place. In the pic below you can see that the rubber is basically non existent anymore on 2 of the sides. Is this a problem?

http://gibble.crabdance.com/~shamoun...726_200205.jpg
I think that your are fine!!!
You had the crack for two years and did not think about-it.

The little amount of glue that you put on will not affect the sound to most people.
Only someone like me and other hardcore audiofile, go to the extand of power amp and pre-amp, so don't sleep over-it!

Wait for the silicon to cure and Enjoy-it after!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #19 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ray, that is comforting to hear. The silicon says shower ready in 3 hours, but I intend to leave it for at least a day. Probably 2. If things really went south these speakers aren't that uncommon on ebay and a single one can be had for under $50. I'd rather not replace it unnecessarily though just because I feel like it would be a shame to throw the old one out.

I consulted an old friend from IRC who has a few decades of audio experience and showed him the pics in this thread, he too said that he thinks it's fine. His words were "near perfect". He also told me that the difference in sound shouldn't be perceptible to a human ear. Hopefully he wasn't just trying to get calm my hysteria. Haha
post #20 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
darthray
The little amount of glue that you put on will not affect the sound to most people.
Only someone like me and other hardcore audiofile, go to the extand of power amp and pre-amp, so don't sleep over-it!

You mean audiophool ? If you have a power amp and a pre amp you are going to want some 'real speakers or (passive ) pro monitors ' .

These are probably just fine and good within their limitations for a small integrated amp or anything 125 wpc or less in a bedroom or small room maybe but decent power amp might fry them ?

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-27-2014 at 02:32 AM.
post #21 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
You mean audiophool ? If you have a power amp and a pre amp you are going to want some 'real speakers or (passive ) pro monitors ' .

These are probably just fine and good within their limitations for a small integrated amp or anything 125 wpc or less in a bedroom or small room maybe but decent power amp might fry them ?
Yea, I am a speaker noob as I have said. Though I am very fond of these. I'm looking forward to the day that I will have an amazing system like some of the folks here. Also, this is a small bedroom set powered by an AVR. Yamaha RX-V457. That being said, I can be a little OCD about things working "perfectly" so it would really bother me to know that the speaker was not performing properly even if I couldn't perceive it. I know it is silly, but it's been eating at me all day since I felt I botched the repair job.
post #22 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Yea, I am a speaker noob as I have said. Though I am very fond of these. I'm looking forward to the day that I will have an amazing system like some of the folks here. Also, this is a small bedroom set powered by an AVR. Yamaha RX-V457. That being said, I can be a little OCD about things working "perfectly" so it would really bother me to know that the speaker was not performing properly even if I couldn't perceive it. I know it is silly, but it's been eating at me all day since I felt I botched the repair job.
Nothing in audio ever works perfect regardless of cost trust me .......you have decent stuff there it shoiold be fine
for your situation .

Add in a powered sub, a couple of foam panels on the side walls to reduce room reflections (+ room gain ) and room nodes and you will think you died and went to heaven bro do that B4 making any additional investments amp or speaker
which in your situation isn't going to benefit as much as the above in most cases anyway
Don't worry how the speaker looks but how it sounds like a little sloppy silicone aint gonna hurt a thing on a woofer .
put the grill on it and have a coke !

A 250wpc amp sounds the same playing 30-50 wps as a 60wpc amp playing 30-50 wps ofc the marketers won't tell you that don't believe the hype .most of the time you probably avg maybe 10 -15 -20 wpc anyway at somewhat elevated levels maybe 1-5 watts other times maybe
dsrussell likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-27-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #23 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have seen Elmers glue used with great success. Years ago, when I was a kid and broke, I found a real decent speakers system that had been trashed. The speakers were all cut up (on purpose) most likely a domestic issue. My friend who is very talented used Elmers to repair the cuts, and lo and behold I used them for many years. IN fact, I still use them now in the screen porch. And they still sound pretty good.
post #24 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nothing in audio ever works perfect regardless of cost trust me .......you have decent stuff there it shoiold be fine
for your situation .

Add in a powered sub, a couple of foam panels on the side walls to reduce room reflections (+ room gain ) and room nodes and you will think you died and went to heaven bro do that B4 making any additional investments amp or speaker
which in your situation isn't going to benefit as much as the above in most cases anyway
Don't worry how the speaker looks but how it sounds like a little sloppy silicone aint gonna hurt a thing on a woofer .
put the grill on it and have a coke !

A 250wpc amp sounds the same playing 30-50 wps as a 60wpc amp playing 30-50 wps ofc the marketers won't tell you that don't believe the hype .most of the time you probably avg maybe 10 -15 -20 wpc anyway at somewhat elevated levels maybe 1-5 watts other times maybe
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually bought a powered sub not long ago and I've been having a good time with it. The Andew Jones Pioneer one. Right now I have these 2 CR8s, the MK-8 and a Yamaha RX-V457 driving them. I also have a CR2 center speaker that the guy who sold me the speakers included in the price back when, but I never use it because I don't have the space.
post #25 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
I have seen Elmers glue used with great success. Years ago, when I was a kid and broke, I found a real decent speakers system that had been trashed. The speakers were all cut up (on purpose) most likely a domestic issue. My friend who is very talented used Elmers to repair the cuts, and lo and behold I used them for many years. IN fact, I still use them now in the screen porch. And they still sound pretty good.
I really do love these speakers, I even have a bit of sentimental attachment to them. They are baby's first speakers for me. I hope to listen to them for many years as you have yours.
post #26 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Last night, I was touching some of the edges of the mass of silicon I applied because I was curious about the texture and how dry it was. I found that the silicon comes right off with some gentle rubbing. Not sure if that's because it's still drying or if I should be concerned about it's longevity, but I used that to my advantage, I rubbed all the excess away and left just the crack and a small surrounding area in tact. It's been about 16 hours now and the silicon area looks less discolored, so I assume it's still curing. I'll wait at least another 24 hours and I'm sure I'll be very busy tomorrow so it will end up having a good amount of time to cure.
post #27 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was not trying to say he should get seperate (amp and pre-amp).
I was telling the OP it should sound just fine after the little surgery.
As been a fool for enjoying good speakers and electronics it is an old debate.
Every up-date I did over the years was always for the better, so to each their own

Best regard

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #28 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Last night, I was touching some of the edges of the mass of silicon I applied because I was curious about the texture and how dry it was. I found that the silicon comes right off with some gentle rubbing. Not sure if that's because it's still drying or if I should be concerned about it's longevity, but I used that to my advantage, I rubbed all the excess away and left just the crack and a small surrounding area in tact. It's been about 16 hours now and the silicon area looks less discolored, so I assume it's still curing. I'll wait at least another 24 hours and I'm sure I'll be very busy tomorrow so it will end up having a good amount of time to cure.
It is good that you got some of that excess off - that will make a difference

Let it finish curing - then turn it on and enjoy - you should be fine.

Now resist, and do not rub it anymore.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #29 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really do love these speakers, I even have a bit of sentimental attachment to them. They are baby's first speakers for me. I hope to listen to them for many years as you have yours.
Quote:
All it matter is the silicone stick and fill the crack it-self (check it after another 24 hours).
If not check what the silicone is made to adhere to, maybe the cone material is not compatible with that silicone.

I hope it work so you don't have to buy a different silicone.
Good luck and keep us inform of how it worked out.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #30 of 37 Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post