KEF speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
KEF speakers

Purchased my first home theater system about a month ago. Have the Pioneer Andrew Jones Towers, Center, Book shelf, Polk 12 sub (NXG BAS 500 sub purchased last week ETA Wednesday) Sony STR DN 1050 receiver (got Yamaha 375 intially) Pioneer line is truly a great value & I will most likely keep the towers & book shelf for another area or to give as a gift. In doing the research beforehand I kept hearing so many different things & not having anything to reference it to, that I just needed to purchase a system, hear how it sounded in my house & learn the qualities I wanted to stop what felt like was going in circles on research. Having the 45 day return policy at Best Buy versus standard 14 days afforded this option.
Now I know what I want & need/willing to spend to reach the experience & quality I'm looking for. The KEF Q series (very intrigued in the LS50 as well, although at a little lower price) If any of you know where I may get a better price on the Q series towers than the limited supply Amazon offers I'd really appreciate the info. Not too keen on buying used yet would consider.

Really appreciate any information provided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord View Post
Purchased my first home theater system about a month ago. Have the Pioneer Andrew Jones Towers, Center, Book shelf, Polk 12 sub (NXG BAS 500 sub purchased last week ETA Wednesday) Sony STR DN 1050 receiver (got Yamaha 375 intially) Pioneer line is truly a great value & I will most likely keep the towers & book shelf for another area or to give as a gift. In doing the research beforehand I kept hearing so many different things & not having anything to reference it to, that I just needed to purchase a system, hear how it sounded in my house & learn the qualities I wanted to stop what felt like was going in circles on research. Having the 45 day return policy at Best Buy versus standard 14 days afforded this option.
Now I know what I want & need/willing to spend to reach the experience & quality I'm looking for. The KEF Q series (very intrigued in the LS50 as well, although at a little lower price) If any of you know where I may get a better price on the Q series towers than the limited supply Amazon offers I'd really appreciate the info. Not too keen on buying used yet would consider.

I would return that NXG BAS 500 heard 4 people to date now including myself having burning smell coming from the port hole. And then the sub sounds really bad after it happens. they need to fix this problem.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ory/kef/1.html

kef authorized seller of refurbished speakers. they have Q900's for $649 ea.

I really like the Q series and they would be a nice step up from your AJ pioneers.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #4 of 12 Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ory/kef/1.html

kef authorized seller of refurbished speakers. they have Q900's for $649 ea.

I really like the Q series and they would be a nice step up from your AJ pioneers.
+1

Also consider the Focal Chorus 717V available from accessories4less. These would be a big step up as well

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 12 Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
+1

Also consider the Focal Chorus 717V available from accessories4less. These would be a big step up as well

Music Direct has some great sales on Focal speakers, and they are really excellent; worth checking out
post #6 of 12 Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
I would return that NXG BAS 500 heard 4 people to date now including myself having burning smell coming from the port hole. And then the sub sounds really bad after it happens. they need to fix this problem.
Replied to this last night, strange it didn't post.

Damn, sorry to hear about that. Was really looking forward to the delivery. How long after you had it did it occur? Remember reading a post where I believe the same as you described happened when the member powered it up the first time. Did you get it through AV house on Amazon? If so, did you have any issues with the return. Just remembered I paid extra for an additional warranty plan which I'm very glad I did now. Hoping those were rarities.

Thanks for the information fellas. Best I've found in the little time I've had to look is 450 for the Q700 New, & 650 for the Q900 open box on accessoriesforless.com Need to do further research but they appear to be an authorized dealer of KEF and a few other great companies. Highly recommended taking a look on there. Believe the majority of the KEF products were "open box" & need to know what their description of it entails. Yet I'd be surprised if I could find a better price or better sounding new speakers than the Q700 for 450. Albeit I don't have a lot of experience in home audio, only car, yet being able to look around objectively, not having any loyalty or fondness for another company (which is a rare trait & one I wish I could utilize in more aspects) the quality & technology implemented in the Q series by KEF particularly the uni-Q appears appear to separate it from everyone else in that price range
post #7 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Damn, sorry to hear about that. Was really looking forward to the delivery. How long after you had it did it occur? Remember reading a post where I believe the same as you described happened when the member powered it up the first time. Did you get it through AV house on Amazon? If so, did you have any issues with the return. Just remembered I paid extra for an additional warranty plan which I'm very glad I did now. Hoping those were rarities.

Thanks for the information fellas. Best I've found in the little time I've had to look is 450 for the Q700 New, & 650 for the Q900 open box on accessoriesforless.com Need to do further research but they appear to be an authorized dealer of KEF and a few other great companies. Highly recommended taking a look on there. Believe the majority of the KEF products were "open box" & need to know what their description of it entails. Yet I'd be surprised if I could find a better price or better sounding new speakers than the Q700 for 450. Albeit I don't have a lot of experience in home audio, only car, yet being able to look around objectively, not having any loyalty or fondness for another company (which is a rare trait & one I wish I could utilize in more aspects) the quality & technology implemented in the Q series by KEF particularly the uni-Q appears appear to separate it from everyone else in that price range
Was the 2nd week, I gave it over a week at low volume control to break it in.
Then unplugged everything checked all the wires hooked it back up burning smell had stopped for a few days and then I noticed the sound of the sub sounded horrible!
And gets worse NXG has no contact line.. Just a email address.
I sent them 2 emails about issue never heard back as of yet.
And then I contacted the guy through Amazon who I bought it from.
He was very helpful being as its still under 30 day policy by Amazon to get returns.
When you smell things burning you start to question is my house going to catch on fire..????
Otherwise I think I would have been screwed!
post #8 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:

You may want to just take a look at the KEF R-series. Since you have a sub, you could get a pair of the bookshelves instead, and have a much better sounding speaker. A sub and bookshelves doesn't lose anything versus towers since you have a crossover set. Also there was an article about the Q series that showed some distinct differences in the various uni-Q drivers, and that the smaller 5-1/4" was a better option than the 6-1/2". You should be able to find it via a google search, I will look as well and update if I find it.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #9 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
You may want to just take a look at the KEF R-series. Since you have a sub, you could get a pair of the bookshelves instead, and have a much better sounding speaker. A sub and bookshelves doesn't lose anything versus towers since you have a crossover set. Also there was an article about the Q series that showed some distinct differences in the various uni-Q drivers, and that the smaller 5-1/4" was a better option than the 6-1/2". You should be able to find it via a google search, I will look as well and update if I find it.
+1

IMO the R series floorstanders, the Q100, and the Q500 are the best of the bunch. The Q900 is good, but it really needs a higher order crossover.

I've noticed that most people seem to gravitate towards the 6.5 inch uni-q for some reason, so I can't exactly blame KEF for it.

Theater room: Sony VPL HW30ES, DIY 100" screen with Seymour Centerstage XD, 5 Revel M105, 2 JBL Studio 210, 4 SVS SB12-NSD, Anthem MRX-300
Living room: Panasonic TC-P60VT60, 3 KEF LS50, Pioneer SW-8, Marantz NR1603
post #10 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Couldn't find that article, but this thread has some good info: Kef Q100 vs. Q300

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #11 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I have some xq speakers. They were a step above the Q and were replaced with the R series. Although I think the R were a replacement and a step up over the xq. I got a good deal on closeout a couple of years back. They're excellent speakers. I would take R bookshelves over Q floorstanders if you have a sub.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
Was the 2nd week, I gave it over a week at low volume control to break it in.
Then unplugged everything checked all the wires hooked it back up burning smell had stopped for a few days and then I noticed the sound of the sub sounded horrible!
And gets worse NXG has no contact line.. Just a email address.
I sent them 2 emails about issue never heard back as of yet.
And then I contacted the guy through Amazon who I bought it from.
He was very helpful being as its still under 30 day policy by Amazon to get returns.
When you smell things burning you start to question is my house going to catch on fire..????
Otherwise I think I would have been screwed!
Hearing the customer service of the company is like that raises a few flags, yet can only be cautious & go from there when it comes Wednesday. Which sub did you return it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I tried to find the variances in performance but was searching q500 vs q700 comparison/differences & couldn't find what you referred to. I'll try doing the 5 1/4 vs 6.5. Making the purchase tonight or tomorrow at the latest. The consistent things I'm reading everywhere are q500 - 900 are amazing speakers. Stereophile has the rated as class B (by far the lowest priced in the category & it's not even close) comparing them to 3-4k B&W if I recall correctly saying the B&W were better on low end but the KEF mids & highs were better. 500 seems to be lacking the low end quite a bit & even though I have a sub, looking at it long term with good possibility of them being utilized in bigger room believe the 700 is the best option based on all the information I've analyzed at great extent
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page