Klipsch F-30 tower speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Klipsch F-30 tower speakers

Okay I'm sorry but this is a noob question.....On the back of my tower speakers I have two set of hookups red .& black across the top, red & black across the bottom. I have my banana plugs hooked into the bottom red & black( + & -) What is the proper way to connect my wires because the sound coming from them isn't that good ? Thanks

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm not familiar with these speakers specifically but, are there 'straps' from the top red to the lower red and from the top black to the lower black? If not (and others might correct me please), you might make a jumper wire to connect the red to red and black to black. Actually, as an experiment, I'd move the wires to the OTHER red/black post first.... do you hear 'the other half' of your missing sound? If so then it's a missing strap. If not, wait for others to chime in.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Okay I'm sorry but this is a noob question.....On the back of my tower speakers I have two set of hookups red .& black across the top, red & black across the bottom. I have my banana plugs hooked into the bottom red & black( + & -) What is the proper way to connect my wires because the sound coming from them isn't that good ?

Thanks

You do need to make sure that both reds and both blacks are connected to your speaker wires.

They normally come from the factory with a metal jumper between the pairs.

If they are missing, just use a short wire to connect red to red and red to black.

As for sound quality, those are speakers that have never fared very well in reviews....

There are many much better-sounding speakers available IMO.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-27-2014 at 06:31 AM.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
You do need to make sure that both reds and both blacks are connected to your speaker wires.

If they are missing, just use a short wire to connect red to red and red to black.

As for sound quality, those are speakers that have never fared very well in reviews....

Agreed.. He probably fell victim to the Newegg specials like me but I got the Polk Monitors..
Everyone on here kept telling me if you keep buying crap speakers all you're going to hear is crap.
I didn't wanna believe them cause I had all these drivers in this massive monitor thinking I was awesome.

So one day i decided to go down to this hifi shop few blocks over and asked is it okay if I compare my speaker to some of the more expensive ones? He said sure, so he hooked up some Martin logans bookshelf speakers.. I was like no way this small ass speaker could beat my Polks... Wow was I wrong... Yeh...I know longer own Polks is all I gotta say lol.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
Agreed.. He probably fell victim to the Newegg specials like me but I got the Polk Monitors..
Everyone on here kept telling me if you keep buying crap speakers all you're going to hear is crap.
I didn't wanna believe them cause I had all these drivers in this massive monitor thinking I was awesome.

So one day i decided to go down to this hifi shop few blocks over and asked is it okay if I compare my speaker to some of the more expensive ones? He said sure, so he hooked up some Martin logans bookshelf speakers.. I was like no way this small ass speaker could beat my Polks... Wow was I wrong... Yeh...I know longer own Polks is all I gotta say lol.

Yeah; live and learn....lol.

Back in 1980 or so, I bought these great new speakers for $800 (big bucks then); they were the very first pair of Polk RTA12 Studio Monitors produced, direct from the CES in Las Vegas where they were the demo units. They were pretty damn good.

I had this old Harman-Kardon A500 tube amp, which was not really very good, and decided to replace it with an $800 top-of the -line Yamaha $125w integrated amplifier. The thing sounded like crap; it was awful.

I went back to Absolute Audio, in Santa Ana, where I bought the speakers, and they gave me a NAD 3020 to try. It sounded wonderful with the new speakers, and was only $199!! It also was only rated for 40 watts or so, but it was plenty for those speakers. Of course, I bought it.

Needless to say, I returned the $800 Yamaha, and to this day I won't have anything to do with Yamaha; lousy products, badly engineered.

Polk does make some very good speakers, but they cost a lot of money. The cheap Polk stuff is not so hot. And even the good Polk speakers don't sound as good as others you can buy from PSB and KEF and Martin-Logan for the same price.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah; live and learn....lol.

Back in 1980 or so, I bought these great new speakers for $800 (big bucks then); they were the very first pair of Polk RTA12 Studio Monitors produced, direct from the CES in Las Vegas where they were the demo units. They were pretty damn good.

I had this old Harman-Kardon A500 tube amp, which was not really very good, and decided to replace it with an $800 top-of the -line Yamaha $125w integrated amplifier. The thing sounded like crap; it was awful.

I went back to Absolute Audio, in Santa Ana, where I bought the speakers, and they gave me a NAD 3020 to try. It sounded wonderful with the new speakers, and was only $199!! It also was only rated for 40 watts or so, but it was plenty for those speakers. Of course, I bought it.

Needless to say, I returned the $800 Yamaha, and to this day I won't have anything to do with Yamaha; lousy products, badly engineered.

Polk does make some very good speakers, but they cost a lot of money. The cheap Polk stuff is not so hot. And even the good Polk speakers don't sound as good as others you can buy from PSB and KEF and Martin-Logan for the same price.
Nice my dad actually had the RTA12's Polk was definitely a different speaker company back then they made better products.

I dunno if you've heard of Dali speakers... But they seem to be putting every speaker to shame the drums are like a earthquake and pianos are so detailed you can actually hear them pressing on the keys.

If you are ever around a hiFi shop and they have them definitely audition them.

post #7 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay thanks I do have the brass jumper between them.....For some reason I'm not getting enough sound from them speakers like I want...Dunno if its just a amp issue or its just how the speakers are.......But I got them from a friend almost a years ago for 350....

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #8 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtissp View Post
Nice my dad actually had the RTA12's Polk was definitely a different speaker company back then they made better products.

I dunno if you've heard of Dali speakers... But they seem to be putting every speaker to shame the drums are like a earthquake and pianos are so detailed you can actually hear them pressing on the keys.

If you are ever around a hiFi shop and they have them definitely audition them.

I have never heard Dali speakers, but they are getting very positive reviews.

Focal also makes some excellent speakers.

My current speakers are Vandersteen Treos, which are pretty amazing driven by the Musical Fidelity M6PRX amplifier. I have one record by Horowitz where the dynamics of the Chopin pieces are quite incredibly lifelike; the piano could literally be in the room, and it sounds like he is doing his best to push the Steinway to destruction on some pieces.

Another thing I recommend to you for a listening (and video) experience, is the German movie The Red baron. The aircraft engines are so realistic that it reminds me of my mis-spent youth racing my various cars at Lions Drag Strip; they shake your whole body. It's just like being in the pits at the drag strip. The dogfight scenes are also visually quite stunning on a big screen.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay thanks I do have the brass jumper between them.....For some reason I'm not getting enough sound from them speakers like I want...Dunno if its just a amp issue or its just how the speakers are.......But I got them from a friend almost a years ago for 350....
I am not a fan of Yamaha amps and receivers. Their power specs are ridiculously inflated IMO.

I suspect that a NAD receiver, for example the T758, would make a big difference.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not a fan of Yamaha amps and receivers. Their power specs are ridiculously inflated IMO.

I suspect that a NAD receiver, for example the T758, would make a big difference.

Yeah thinking that's the issue also.....I have the Yamaha-RX-V675

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #11 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yeah thinking that's the issue also.....I have the Yamaha-RX-V675
Nexgen i've got the same setup as you. Running F-30's as my front speakers through a Yamaha RX675. Also have the klipsch sw-450 sub which is a beast.

At first I was disappointed with the sound quality, particularly the vocals since they seemed muted coming from the F30s. After some tinkering with the 675 settings i'm very pleased with the sound quality and think you will be too.

To specifically address your question, the bottom set of terminals are the main connections and should be run to your L and R front channels on the receiver. The top set of terminals are for bi-amping the speakers which is optional. I do currently have mine bi-amped and think it helps bring out the vocals a bit more so worth a try. Just remove the jumpers (the gold brackets) then connect the top set of terminals to the L and R biamp channels on the back of the receiver. Believe these are labeled L/R Surround/Biamp so should be easy to identify.

A few other thoughts that dramatically improved the sound quality for me:

1. Use the YPAO mic to run an initial setup on the speakers, just place the mic in the middle of where you will do the majority of your watching / listening and hold it about ear level.
2. Go to Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> set Parametric EQ to Natural
3. If you have a subwoofer i would also set the F30 speaker configuration to small. This has been a well documented issue of how the 675 handles subs. Also set the Bass Cross Over to 80Hz. You should then disable any cross over settings on the back of the sub since you want the receiver to handle the processing.
4. Options -> enable Adaptive DRC
5. Dialogue Adjust -> set dialogue level to 3
6. Options -> turn off Enhancer
7. I also have Sound Program set to Standard

hope this helps.

Best,
Chris
post #12 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc NYC View Post
Nexgen i've got the same setup as you. Running F-30's as my front speakers through a Yamaha RX675. Also have the klipsch sw-450 sub which is a beast.

At first I was disappointed with the sound quality, particularly the vocals since they seemed muted coming from the F30s. After some tinkering with the 675 settings i'm very pleased with the sound quality and think you will be too.

To specifically address your question, the bottom set of terminals are the main connections and should be run to your L and R front channels on the receiver. The top set of terminals are for bi-amping the speakers which is optional. I do currently have mine bi-amped and think it helps bring out the vocals a bit more so worth a try. Just remove the jumpers (the gold brackets) then connect the top set of terminals to the L and R biamp channels on the back of the receiver. Believe these are labeled L/R Surround/Biamp so should be easy to identify.

A few other thoughts that dramatically improved the sound quality for me:

1. Use the YPAO mic to run an initial setup on the speakers, just place the mic in the middle of where you will do the majority of your watching / listening and hold it about ear level.
2. Go to Setup -> Speaker -> Manual Setup -> set Parametric EQ to Natural
3. If you have a subwoofer i would also set the F30 speaker configuration to small. This has been a well documented issue of how the 675 handles subs. Also set the Bass Cross Over to 80Hz. You should then disable any cross over settings on the back of the sub since you want the receiver to handle the processing.
4. Options -> enable Adaptive DRC
5. Dialogue Adjust -> set dialogue level to 3
6. Options -> turn off Enhancer
7. I also have Sound Program set to Standard

hope this helps.

Best,
Chris

OMG.....Thanks so much, I have the Sub12 which I really don't have any issues with but I will get on this asap but I got to order another YPAO mic I seem to loss mines....Also I was about to pull the trigger on a RC-25 center do you think that's a wise choice because I was going to drop my C-30 center.

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #13 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I have never heard Dali speakers, but they are getting very positive reviews.

Focal also makes some excellent speakers.

My current speakers are Vandersteen Treos, which are pretty amazing driven by the Musical Fidelity M6PRX amplifier. I have one record by Horowitz where the dynamics of the Chopin pieces are quite incredibly lifelike; the piano could literally be in the room, and it sounds like he is doing his best to push the Steinway to destruction on some pieces.

Another thing I recommend to you for a listening (and video) experience, is the German movie The Red baron. The aircraft engines are so realistic that it reminds me of my mis-spent youth racing my various cars at Lions Drag Strip; they shake your whole body. It's just like being in the pits at the drag strip. The dogfight scenes are also visually quite stunning on a big screen.
I've heard the Focal Chorus they sounded about the same as
Helicon's
did in the music minus the punch.

But focal didn't stand a chance in the movie experience the Helicon's produced.

Vandersteen Treos never heard these before

post #14 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
OMG.....Thanks so much, I have the Sub12 which I really don't have any issues with but I will get on this asap but I got to order another YPAO mic I seem to loss mines....Also I was about to pull the trigger on a RC-25 center do you think that's a wise choice because I was going to drop my C-30 center.
I can't comment on the RC25 as i've not heard it in person. I've got the RC52 II which I like a lot. This is from the Reference II line but Klipsch also makes the Synergy C20 center which is supposed to be a match for the F series fronts. The RC52 seemed to have better overall reviews and I also preferred the look of that speaker over the C20. The C20 is on sale on amazon right now so that could influence your decision.

Note that the yamaha 675 can run a 7.1 system but if you decide to biamp your F30's you will lose 2 of the rear channels. The max you can run with biamping is a 5.1 system.

I'm still on the lookout for rear surrounds as my setup is just 3.1 at the moment.

Hope that helps.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc NYC View Post
I can't comment on the RC25 as i've not heard it in person. I've got the RC52 II which I like a lot. This is from the Reference II line but Klipsch also makes the Synergy C20 center which is supposed to be a match for the F series fronts. The RC52 seemed to have better overall reviews and I also preferred the look of that speaker over the C20. The C20 is on sale on amazon right now so that could influence your decision.

Note that the yamaha 675 can run a 7.1 system but if you decide to biamp your F30's you will lose 2 of the rear channels. The max you can run with biamping is a 5.1 system.

I'm still on the lookout for rear surrounds as my setup is just 3.1 at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Okay I'm sorry i wasn't clear.....I already have the C-20 so I'm going to hold on to it until i see how these setting go you gave me....Also i see the C-20 have another set of red & black like the tower speakers. Are for biamping or bridge ?

Vizio- M501D
Yamaha-RX-V675
SONY-PS4
Klipsch- F30,SUB12, C20
post #16 of 16 Old 08-02-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay I'm sorry i wasn't clear.....I already have the C-20 so I'm going to hold on to it until i see how these setting go you gave me....Also i see the C-20 have another set of red & black like the tower speakers. Are for biamping or bridge ?

The two pairs of terminals give you option of bi-wiring or bi-amping, which would be a waste of time with that speaker.

Just tie them together with jumper wires.
Reply Speakers
Gear in this thread - F-30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page