Budget 7.1 speaker system suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Budget 7.1 speaker system suggestions

My wife and I are building a new home. We break ground first thing tomorrow morning as a matter of fact. We're excited and anxious. We're starting to shop for items for the new house. One thing we know we want is a nice, budget 7.1 surround system in our great room. We're not audiophiles or anything but we would like decent sound for television and movies as well as music. I'm looking for advice on speaker systems in the $300 to $500 range. Maybe as high as $600, but that's about it on our budget.

I had heard really good things about the Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater System. I had thought about buying this and then picking up two extra of the Take Classic surround speakers but the whole system is getting a little harder to find and the extra speakers are getting even more so.

I should mention that the great room these will be going into is approximately 21' x 20' and has cathedral ceilings. I'm looking at a Yamaha AV receiver to drive my system, most likely the RX-V775BT or a similar receiver in the 100W-130W output range. We are interested in speakers that can be mounted on the wall or placed on shelves for the front/center speakers. We have no interest in mounted in-wall speakers.

I know speaker/sound opinions are as varied as individuals but I'm hoping to get some decent advice. Does anyone have anything to offer me?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to reply.

- Byron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Yes, I can offer a suggestion. As you already know, speaker preference is just that. A preference. There are a lot of very good and not so good speakers, and you will get dozens upon dozens of choices to sort through. I'll leave that to others to suggest and for you to audition.

Your great room is a large volume area and is no doubt open to other areas. If so, then you are talking about an "extreme" room size, which doesn't bode well for the word "budget". One has to be realistic on what is trying to be accomplished here. Will $600 get you a pair of good bookshelf speakers? Yes, provided you don't place them on bookshelves. Will $600 give you a good 5-speaker setup? No. And we haven't mentioned the receiver and the subwoofer. I think you are trying to fill a cathedral with a thimble, so my suggestion is to wait until decent funds (two grand minimum) are available before adding a surround system with a subwoofer that has any hope of filling such a volume size.

While you may not like my answer, you'll thank me later if you heed the advice.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The Take Classics will work, but realistically too small for your large room. Maybe as surrounds, but I'd want something more substantial for the front soundstage. For budget speakers, look at the Infinity Primus, or Pioneer Andrew Jones, line of speakers. You're also going to want a subwoofer (or two).
post #4 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Yes, I can offer a suggestion. As you already know, speaker preference is just that. A preference. There are a lot of very good and not so good speakers, and you will get dozens upon dozens of choices to sort through. I'll leave that to others to suggest and for you to audition.

Your great room is a large volume area and is no doubt open to other areas. If so, then you are talking about an "extreme" room size, which doesn't bode well for the word "budget". One has to be realistic on what is trying to be accomplished here. Will $600 get you a pair of good bookshelf speakers? Yes, provided you don't place them on bookshelves. Will $600 give you a good 5-speaker setup? No. And we haven't mentioned the receiver and the subwoofer. I think you are trying to fill a cathedral with a thimble, so my suggestion is to wait until decent funds (two grand minimum) are available before adding a surround system with a subwoofer that has any hope of filling such a volume size.

While you may not like my answer, you'll thank me later if you heed the advice.
OK, when you say a budget of $2000, are you talking total budget for the whole system, or just the speakers, excluding the receiver?

Either way, you're right, that's definitely NOT what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to hear.

Thanks.

- Byron
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
fwiw , totally agree that you should wait and save until you have more of a budget especially with that size room. trying to get good sound quality for $600 in that size room will be money wasteful as you will be upgrading an under achieving system for something more in a short while leaving you $600 less to put towards a fine system. but it's your hard earned money. just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out

Last edited by smasher50; 07-27-2014 at 06:13 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
fwiw , totally agree that you should wait and save until you have more of a budget especially with that size room. trying to get good sound quality for $600 in that size room will be money wasteful as you will be upgrading an under achieving system for something more in a short while leaving you $600 less to put towards a fine system. but it's your hard earned money. just my 2 cents
Yes, I think my wife and I both agree it would be better to wait. We have about $12K of new furniture and furnishings to buy for the new house so it may have to wait about a year, maybe two. We're going to get a 65" 4K Samsung to put over the mantle so I think we'll get a cheap(er) sound bar to go with that and just do with that for now.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'll monitor for a while and come back for more advice when it's closer to go time.

- Byron
Reply Speakers