AVS Forum banner

Used Martin Logan vs. HTIB system

373 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dsrussell 
#1 ·
Hey guys! New to the AVS forum as well as new to AV related issues as well. Got a question about a used set of Martin Logan Aerius I speakers. Assuming these were in perfect shape (the guy wants $450 for the pair) would I be better off getting these speakers and a decent receiver or are these discontinued speakers outdated technologically compared to the latest HTIB systems.

These would be going in my basement. I have a 60" that I sit about 10' from and the 3 sides are enclosed walls.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I always loved the way that the Martin Logan Aerius sounded, but I only listened to them for music, never home theater.

In my opinion, anything is better than a HTIB system which is designed with final cost as the primary goal and usually cannot have single components upgraded.

#3 ·
It's hard to rectify Martin Logan ESLs and an HTIB being spoken of in the same sentence. Back in '95 these MLs were going for over 2 grand. But they are old, and time has a way of destroying material, especially surrounds in the hybrid's bass driver. But re-edging won't cost a whole heck of a lot, and as long as the mylar panels are perfectly intact, it's a no brainer, especially for two channel.

However, in order to get a great 5.1 experience, it requires at least an ESL center channel as well. ESLs and Planar-magnetic speakers don't play well with conventional speakers, although you might get away with conventional rear speakers, but even those would be questionable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.