1Likes
  • 1 Post By Class A

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JTR 212 vs Meridian DSP5500

I have been planning to buy 3 JTR 212 speakers to be driven by an emotiva power amp, however, a friend of mine just gave me a pair of Meridian DSP5500 fronts, DSP5000 rears and a DSP5000C speakers. He also gave me a Meridian G98 DVD audio player.

I know it's a long shot since the Meridian speakers are 12 years old but does anyone know how the speakers compare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
I have been planning to buy 3 JTR 212 speakers to be driven by an emotiva power amp, however, a friend of mine just gave me a pair of Meridian DSP5500 fronts, DSP5000 rears and a DSP5000C speakers. He also gave me a Meridian G98 DVD audio player.

I know it's a long shot since the Meridian speakers are 12 years old but does anyone know how the speakers compare?
Those 5500's were originally $13,000. If in good shape go for about go for $2500-$3000 on todays market. Those are quality speakers if in good working order. I'd take that money and spend it on the biggest and best HD TV you can get, along w/an Oppo Blu Ray player. Nothing beats free. You have one hell of a friend.
dsrussell likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a new theater and the JTR speakers were going to be used in there. I've been planning this theater for years so want the best sound possible within my budget but I have no idea how the speakers compare. The speakers look in perfect condition.

There is also the option to use the Meridian speakers for music and just buy JTR 228 speakers for movies. If the Meridian speakers aren't used in the theater room they could be used in the family room. Then again I still need to work out if I can use these with a non-meridian processor.If I can't use the speakers I'll sell them and give the money to my friend.

The couple that gave me the speakers are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met. The wife wanted rid of these because she wanted her smaller speakers for the room. I don't feel too bad for her husband because he has a $65,000 pair in another room.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
I'm building a new theater and the JTR speakers were going to be used in there. I've been planning this theater for years so want the best sound possible within my budget but I have no idea how the speakers compare. The speakers look in perfect condition.

There is also the option to use the Meridian speakers for music and just buy JTR 228 speakers for movies. If the Meridian speakers aren't used in the theater room they could be used in the family room. Then again I still need to work out if I can use these with a non-meridian processor.If I can't use the speakers I'll sell them and give the money to my friend.

The couple that gave me the speakers are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met. The wife wanted rid of these because she wanted her smaller speakers for the room. I don't feel too bad for her husband because he has a $65,000 pair in another room.
The "other option" sounds ( ) like a good plan. I have always been intrigued by DSP embedded speakers like Meridian and heard some at a dealers many years ago. It was a memorable experience but they have limitations that make them questionable for a dedicated HT. That said, for a music only system they could be ideal.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page