Should I upgrade to JTR Triple 12HTs from Polk RTI A9s? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Should I upgrade to JTR Triple 12HTs from Polk RTI A9s?

I have polk RTI A9 / A6 / A5s. I have been fairly satisfied with their performance. I have a friend who is offering me the 3 JTR triple 12HTs for a good discount.
I normally listen at fairly moderate volumes (-17.5 MV) with the subs being about 5 dbs higher.

From what I read the JTRs have more of a dynamic sound and I read also from someone that they started listening louder after they switched to the JTR.

This is going to be a significant uprade money and effort wise so I want to make sure it will be worth it before I commit. Would it be a night and day difference in sound quality at the levels I listen to? I also noticed that they are fairly sensitive speakers. Does that mean I can sell my emotiva amplifiers and rely on the receivers to drive them without losing any of my current headroom? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi, the first thing I'd suggest is to talk to your friend about letting you hook up the Triple 12s in your room so you can more easily make the decision. On paper, there's a huge increase in efficiency going with the JTRs, over 11db so lots of get up and go with even receiver power. You'll probably inevitably start listening louder not necessarily because you can but because it won't sound like you're at the levels you are. -17.5 MV will be a mere blip on the radar. I had Triple 12s and liked them and in general always prefer dynamic speakers for the headroom. I want my own preference to be the limiting factor not my speakers or subs. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So are you saying that they won't sound good at the lower volumes I am used to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Hi, the first thing I'd suggest is to talk to your friend about letting you hook up the Triple 12s in your room so you can more easily make the decision. On paper, there's a huge increase in efficiency going with the JTRs, over 11db so lots of get up and go with even receiver power. You'll probably inevitably start listening louder not necessarily because you can but because it won't sound like you're at the levels you are. -17.5 MV will be a mere blip on the radar. I had Triple 12s and liked them and in general always prefer dynamic speakers for the headroom. I want my own preference to be the limiting factor not my speakers or subs. Good luck!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Lower distortion doesn't sound as 'loud'

..Is what he's getting at I believe

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i

Last edited by ousooner2; 07-29-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
^^^ That's what I meant.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
I have polk RTI A9 / A6 / A5s. I have been fairly satisfied with their performance. I have a friend who is offering me the 3 JTR triple 12HTs for a good discount.
I normally listen at fairly moderate volumes (-17.5 MV) with the subs being about 5 dbs higher.

From what I read the JTRs have more of a dynamic sound and I read also from someone that they started listening louder after they switched to the JTR.

This is going to be a significant uprade money and effort wise so I want to make sure it will be worth it before I commit. Would it be a night and day difference in sound quality at the levels I listen to? I also noticed that they are fairly sensitive speakers. Does that mean I can sell my emotiva amplifiers and rely on the receivers to drive them without losing any of my current headroom? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Significant upgrade = yes

Night and Day Difference = depends

High Efficiency = separate amps not needed.

As gpmbc said, best to hear them in your room to get he full effect. I was able to do that prior to my first JTR Triple 12 buy and it sold me on them.

Good luck and good listening.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page