Should I upgrade to JTR Triple 12HTs from Polk RTI A9s? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Should I upgrade to JTR Triple 12HTs from Polk RTI A9s?

Speakers

ahmedreda's Avatar ahmedreda
09:38 AM Liked: 46
post #1 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 506
I have polk RTI A9 / A6 / A5s. I have been fairly satisfied with their performance. I have a friend who is offering me the 3 JTR triple 12HTs for a good discount.
I normally listen at fairly moderate volumes (-17.5 MV) with the subs being about 5 dbs higher.

From what I read the JTRs have more of a dynamic sound and I read also from someone that they started listening louder after they switched to the JTR.

This is going to be a significant uprade money and effort wise so I want to make sure it will be worth it before I commit. Would it be a night and day difference in sound quality at the levels I listen to? I also noticed that they are fairly sensitive speakers. Does that mean I can sell my emotiva amplifiers and rely on the receivers to drive them without losing any of my current headroom? Any feedback would be appreciated.
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc
09:56 AM Liked: 90
post #2 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 2,486
Hi, the first thing I'd suggest is to talk to your friend about letting you hook up the Triple 12s in your room so you can more easily make the decision. On paper, there's a huge increase in efficiency going with the JTRs, over 11db so lots of get up and go with even receiver power. You'll probably inevitably start listening louder not necessarily because you can but because it won't sound like you're at the levels you are. -17.5 MV will be a mere blip on the radar. I had Triple 12s and liked them and in general always prefer dynamic speakers for the headroom. I want my own preference to be the limiting factor not my speakers or subs. Good luck!
ahmedreda's Avatar ahmedreda
10:09 AM Liked: 46
post #3 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 506
So are you saying that they won't sound good at the lower volumes I am used to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Hi, the first thing I'd suggest is to talk to your friend about letting you hook up the Triple 12s in your room so you can more easily make the decision. On paper, there's a huge increase in efficiency going with the JTRs, over 11db so lots of get up and go with even receiver power. You'll probably inevitably start listening louder not necessarily because you can but because it won't sound like you're at the levels you are. -17.5 MV will be a mere blip on the radar. I had Triple 12s and liked them and in general always prefer dynamic speakers for the headroom. I want my own preference to be the limiting factor not my speakers or subs. Good luck!

ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2
10:34 AM Liked: 113
post #4 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 2,259
Lower distortion doesn't sound as 'loud'

..Is what he's getting at I believe
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc
10:41 AM Liked: 90
post #5 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 2,486
^^^ That's what I meant.
RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
12:09 PM Liked: 463
post #6 of 6
07-29-2014 | Posts: 6,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
I have polk RTI A9 / A6 / A5s. I have been fairly satisfied with their performance. I have a friend who is offering me the 3 JTR triple 12HTs for a good discount.
I normally listen at fairly moderate volumes (-17.5 MV) with the subs being about 5 dbs higher.

From what I read the JTRs have more of a dynamic sound and I read also from someone that they started listening louder after they switched to the JTR.

This is going to be a significant uprade money and effort wise so I want to make sure it will be worth it before I commit. Would it be a night and day difference in sound quality at the levels I listen to? I also noticed that they are fairly sensitive speakers. Does that mean I can sell my emotiva amplifiers and rely on the receivers to drive them without losing any of my current headroom? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Significant upgrade = yes

Night and Day Difference = depends

High Efficiency = separate amps not needed.

As gpmbc said, best to hear them in your room to get he full effect. I was able to do that prior to my first JTR Triple 12 buy and it sold me on them.

Good luck and good listening.
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread