Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
I can't believe those are $399 each with a ribbon tweeter and multiple mid/woofers that seem to be built well. Not really top of the line I'm sure, but at the same time, I doubt I could buy the raw materials for $399 and seriously doubt anything I could build would look that good.

Au contraire, they are top of the line. Sound quality wise, anyway. I've heard the A5's myself, and reviewed the bookshelf and center from the Arx line about a year and a half ago, so I'm very familiar with their sound. For the selling price the Arx speakers are a steal.

One clarification though... the tweeters are planar's, not ribbon's. They appear to be the same, but they aren't. Think of a planar as a ribbon 'lite'. Very similar sound characteristics, but not quite the same.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
[SIZE=2]One clarification though... the tweeters are planar's, not ribbon's. They appear to be the same, but they aren't. Think of a planar as a ribbon 'lite'. Very similar sound characteristics, but not quite the same.
Interesting, thanks. The way they worded it made it sound like it was the same thing:

"It's a convincing advantage: Unlike the lesser domes found in common speakers at Chane's low cost, the planar magnetic or "ribbon" tweeter offers benefits not found elsewhere."

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...peakers/A5rx-c
Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Would those tweeters sound anything like the ones on Martin Logan Motion 40's? I really like those but don't like the way the cabinets look at all, plus they're much more expensive. They're the only tweeter like this I can compare to, never heard anything else in person.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, thanks. The way they worded it made it sound like it was the same thing:

"It's a convincing advantage: Unlike the lesser domes found in common speakers at Chane's low cost, the planar magnetic or "ribbon" tweeter offers benefits not found elsewhere."

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...peakers/A5rx-c
Notice how the word ribbon is in quotes but planar magnetic is not? There's a reason for that. A lot of people confuse the two because of the similar appearance, but there are some fundamental differences between the technologies.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The updated A5s won't be available for a while still. He could do the A3s and save a few bucks.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Strangely, my wife likes the idea of the Chane Theater Ten's, at least with the grills off. I guess they used to be the sho-10's. I figured she would go for the more pretty solution, but I guess a solid black pirate room can get away with being a bit utilitarian if the speakers are solid black. Yeah I don't know when the A5's will be available. I think they are very sharp. I called the company today, the guy I talked to said the A3's actually sound better but are not as loud or as cool looking. I primarily want this for hard rock and therefore I want lots of midbass up front for the kick drums and bass guitar. Not sure which is the better solution, the 10's sound like it at first but they don't have very good low frequency response. I have two 18's preordered so super low response isn't needed.

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chan...rs/Theater-Ten
e_honda likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I primarily want this for hard rock and therefore I want lots of midbass up front for the kick drums and bass guitar. Not sure which is the better solution, the 10's sound like it at first but they don't have very good low frequency response. I have two 18's preordered so super low response isn't needed.
Given that, the Theater 10's are definitely the way to go. Those speakers were probably designed for people who have tastes very similar to yours. The midrange impact and output potential should be huge on those.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I may have found what I was looking for in the JBL LS series, maybe you're supposed to call it the JBL Synthesis LS, I don't know. Not really "scary", but it is a very nice powerful looking and solid black non-modern design. A big selling point to me is the matching center and surround speakers, plus they're all made out of real wood veneer. I am sticking with a TV so while some of these PA looking horns seem cool, the cabinets are quite large and I can't figure out a good center channel solution. these still have a horn too so maybe it's the best of both worlds. Street price on some of them such as the surrounds is half the price of SVS as well so once you put the whole thing together the entire system isn't "that" expensive as compared to other stuff I've seen. Best part though, solid black, with black drivers. Yay!

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/97

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/download...LS_English.pdf

Strangely, I had a hard time finding them. You can go to JBL's site and look for towers and the best they're going to show you is the Studio series. I guess the better stuff is reserved for their Synthesis site? I don't know, very strange.

Anyway, these look really tough to me.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
I may have found what I was looking for in the JBL LS series, maybe you're supposed to call it the JBL Synthesis LS, I don't know. Not really "scary", but it is a very nice powerful looking and solid black non-modern design. A big selling point to me is the matching center and surround speakers,
They would be on my short list - even with the LS center channel

And the LS 80 measures good - they will be clean, smooth, detailed and powerful.
Plus the towers will go down low.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

The idea of the enclosure sounds good as well, I read that JBL claims that even in their factory, a set of these things takes about 3 weeks to make, lots of hand rubbing and whatnot, the result is supposed to be gorgeous, streaked ebony. I have hesitated with the DIY stuff because I know it is going to take forever and still not look all that great. Shouldn't be an issue with these, just plug them up and gawk at them.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
I may have found what I was looking for in the JBL LS series, maybe you're supposed to call it the JBL Synthesis LS, I don't know. Not really "scary", but it is a very nice powerful looking and solid black non-modern design. A big selling point to me is the matching center and surround speakers, plus they're all made out of real wood veneer. I am sticking with a TV so while some of these PA looking horns seem cool, the cabinets are quite large and I can't figure out a good center channel solution. these still have a horn too so maybe it's the best of both worlds. Street price on some of them such as the surrounds is half the price of SVS as well so once you put the whole thing together the entire system isn't "that" expensive as compared to other stuff I've seen. Best part though, solid black, with black drivers. Yay!

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/97

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/download...LS_English.pdf

Strangely, I had a hard time finding them. You can go to JBL's site and look for towers and the best they're going to show you is the Studio series. I guess the better stuff is reserved for their Synthesis site? I don't know, very strange.

Anyway, these look really tough to me.

I agree with you, I really like the looks of these. Pretty bad-a$$ looking.

I especially like the black cabinets in the first picture.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Should I be concerned with the low efficiency? It's like 90 db. I hope to run Marantz separates to them.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...-467107/review

"the horn-toting front baffles are simply evilly sexy"
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Should I be concerned with the low efficiency? It's like 90 db. I hope to run Marantz separates to them.
If you do not plan to stick them in a high school gym - then you will be fine.
They will take the power and get loud.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
90dB is anything but inefficient. AAMOF, it's the exact opposite; it's very efficient. You can easily power those with even a low end receiver.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
The JBL Synthesis stuff is great, but it will be pricey. I don't know the cost of the LS80s, but it will cost a lot more than the Arx speakers you were considering. In that range, you could also get some black Klipsch Palladiums, those look like brutes. If you really want a scary, cost-no-object speaker, check out the Rockport Arrakis:

$164k per pair.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
The JBL Synthesis stuff is great, but it will be pricey. I don't know the cost of the LS80s, but it will cost a lot more than the Arx speakers you were considering.
The original list price of the LS80 was $3000 a pair

Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
90dB is anything but inefficient. AAMOF, it's the exact opposite; it's very efficient. You can easily power those with even a low end receiver.
I've been looking at horn designs such as the Fusion Tempest 12 DIY kit, various JTR Noesis offerings, and Klipsch RF-7ii, all of which are pushing 99-100 db. These are 90 db, basically needs 8 watts to do what some of these others can do with one if I'm calculating correctly. One of the reviews said you have to power the crap out of it for dynamic movies too. Just curious as to if this situation will kill dynamics in terms of hearing whispers and whatnot on a movie. I have no doubt that music at reasonable levels will sound great.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In that range, you could also get some black Klipsch Palladiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The original list price of the LS80 was $3000 a pair
Yeah it's hardly on the Palladium level as mentioned earlier. I can get them for even less. Palladium's are like 20 grand.

Last edited by corndogggy; 08-23-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
like this?

Archaea and popalock like this.

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

How did they get all those parts to stick to the ceiling?
zieglj01 likes this.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This is easy, the KEF LS50
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've been looking at horn designs such as the Fusion Tempest 12 DIY kit, various JTR Noesis offerings, and Klipsch RF-7ii, all of which are pushing 99-100 db. These are 90 db, basically needs 8 watts to do what some of these others can do with one if I'm calculating correctly. One of the reviews said you have to power the crap out of it for dynamic movies too. Just curious as to if this situation will kill dynamics in terms of hearing whispers and whatnot on a movie. I have no doubt that music at reasonable levels will sound great.
I guess that would matter if you're powering them with 8 watts, but I assume you'll be using more. Either way, 90dB is not considered inefficient. 99-100dB is pretty rare in anything but pro audio. You could probably drive those speakers with a hearing aid battery.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
These are 90 db, basically needs 8 watts to do what some of these others can do with one if I'm calculating correctly. One of the reviews said you have to power the crap out of it for dynamic movies too. Just curious as to if this situation will kill dynamics in terms of hearing whispers and whatnot on a movie. I have no doubt that music at reasonable levels will sound great.
90 db is good sensitivity - and these speakers can be driven with a nice receiver - in this review the
speakers were driven with an Integra (Onkyo) and Harman Kardon receiver.
Note this review
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/surro...diophiles.html

Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Are there size constraints?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	226890   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	226898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	226906  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Pics of your room please...

Of the pictures in your thread so far linked I liked the Wharfedale Jade look, and I'm a fan of the JTR 228HT or JTR 212HT look with the ports on the left and right sides.

(Might help that I've owned and enjoyed both Wharfedale and JTR)

The JBL Studio 350 linked early on looked good too. And the Chane setup, like carp said, probably will represent about the most value (though perhaps not as much value as the owner would propose in relation to besting superior products) if past history bears repeating.

I do want to see pics of your pirate themed theater. Since you are using ultimax 18" subwoofers maybe you should try to find speakers with cones that are similar to the fiber in the ultimax cone.

The pendragon speakers use a blue coned woofer. It doesn't show up as light blackish blue in your blackety black post - but I assure you they are blue. I've seen them in person. They look great and sound great too!, but they are not blackety black.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 08-24-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
Are there size constraints?
You're gonna need a bigger TV!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
In that range, you could also get some black Klipsch Palladiums, those look like brutes.

Palladiums are definatly a fantastic sounding speaker. Pretty expensive too. I was with a group of guys who heard them side by side with the Jubilee at the factory in Hope.

I don't however, know that the Palladiums are more scary looking than the Jubes.

Price: Jubilee's win
Sound: Jubilee's win
Scary factor: Depends on one's own wimpieness I suppose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4857.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	226930  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I guess at this point its down between the JBL LS80, or since it is mostly for movies, the Klipsch Ultra 2 THX. I really like the look of the JBL's and may work best for music but I bet the horn on the Klipsch would be hard to beat for movies and I seriously doubt the JBL LS series center could hang with one of the Klipsch. The Ultra 2 line is fugly though. At least they're black.

Regarding efficiency, the consensus seems to be that a high efficiency horn loaded compression design works best for home theater but I'm not sure my room nor wallet is big enough to justify a JTR system and my wife really doesn't like the look of the rooms of guys who use them with huge speakers laying everywhere. Mostly I really want to hear all the whispers and low level dialog and super high efficiency seems to be the best way to do that. My current Wharfedales powered by a Sony receiver simply cannot do that at all, you have to turn it up way too loud to be able to hear the subtle nuances in speech plus background information, but when you do that, action scenes and everything else are uncomfortably loud and very distorted. One of the JBL reviews said exactly that, said it was literally a dangerous situation and they would rip his face off when turned up enough to actually hear the background information, using Cars 2 as an example. Why is this good? Seems like they should be efficient enough that you can hear the quieter details without ripping your face off on the bigger sounds. These Ultra2 THX's are 97 db even with just two 6.5's. The JBL has an even larger compression driver plus adds another tweeter plus have two really beefy 8's, why are they only 90 db?

I like the idea that the JBL's have a compression driver, and 90db may be good for normal speakers but I just don't understand why they are nowhere near as efficient as other offerings that have compression drivers, and wish I knew it could hang just as well on movies.

Anyway, are the Ultra 2 THX a better choice if looks weren't an issue, which it kind of is, but still?

vs.

Last edited by corndogggy; 08-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why is this good? Seems like they should be efficient enough that you can hear the quieter details without ripping your face off on the bigger sounds. These Ultra2 THX's are 97 db even with just two 6.5's. The JBL has an even larger compression driver plus adds another tweeter plus have two really beefy 8's, why are they only 90 db?

I like the idea that the JBL's have a compression driver, and 90db may be good for normal speakers but I just don't understand why they are nowhere near as efficient as other offerings that have compression drivers, and wish I knew it could hang just as well on movies.
Do not buy into marketing specs alone - the Klipsch THX Ultra2 was measured to be 92 db sensitive.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

So, you may want to re-think this.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Pics of your room please...
Quite honestly it is so black that pictures look horrible but here is one that turned out ok right after I got the carpet down. Basically it is 15x20, this is the back, the tv and mains are on the other side, all my electronics are in the back corner where the wires are. A curved row of Magnolia theater seats are in the middle of the room. Everything except the trim is black. It's nothing special to anybody but me, can't really hang with the dream rooms I see all the time.