looking for upgrade for my old harman with new setup budget 5k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Transmaniacon
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looking for upgrade for my old harman with new setup budget 5k

Hi all,

Guys I want to replace my old Harman speakers with new one and I'm not sure which brand or model to buy .

I have 5k budget for speakers and AVR combined.

My room is around 20 Sam total area high around 2.5m .

My main useage of the system will pay for hard core gaming such as action game and shooting.


Most format starndard will be either Dolby digital live or DTS/Dolby digital sometimes multi PCM.

I rarely will watch something with dts hd for now.

My main concern is speaker clarity .

I found some offer in one electronic shop :

KEF q900 x2
Kef q500 x2
Kef q400 x1
Kef q200 x1

And onkyo 5010

For 5000USD.


Any recommendations?
alz3abi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Where are you located?

You are spending way too much on a receiver, for your needs a $400 Denon AVR-X2000 is more than enough. At this price you have dozens of good options, I would try and find an audio shop and listen to several brands to see what you like. I would skip buying a sub from them, internet direct companies offer much better performance/dollar.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Where are you located?

You are spending way too much on a receiver, for your needs a $400 Denon AVR-X2000 is more than enough. At this price you have dozens of good options, I would try and find an audio shop and listen to several brands to see what you like. I would skip buying a sub from them, internet direct companies offer much better performance/dollar.

I live in Dubai we have major brands here , can you give recommendations? If the q series is amazing and the sub is suck I have no issues to buy from another brands , regarding avr I need something to drive the speakers since the speakers tends to drop to 3.2ohms which will consume a lot of power .

The shop offered kit 5.1 without avr for 4.5k usd and price in Amazon without avr is about 4.2k usd.
alz3abi is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I would stick with 5.1, and go with bookshelves instead. With a good sub, you don't need floor standers because their lower extension is wasted. I would take the money saved and jump up to the KEF R series, which is a much better speaker. I am not sure how different the pricing is there, but with your budget in the US the R series is more appropriate.

Regarding a sub, I don't know what brands you have there, you may check and see if SVS can ship to you and what it would cost. A PB-2000 would be a big upgrade over that KEF sub.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would stick with 5.1, and go with bookshelves instead. With a good sub, you don't need floor standers because their lower extension is wasted. I would take the money saved and jump up to the KEF R series, which is a much better speaker. I am not sure how different the pricing is there, but with your budget in the US the R series is more appropriate.

Regarding a sub, I don't know what brands you have there, you may check and see if SVS can ship to you and what it would cost. A PB-2000 would be a big upgrade over that KEF sub.
The issue is sometimes it is difficult to ask for R series shelves to be tested it as 5.1 , what difference between shelves and towers? What is the best AVR that can drive the R series without any issues?


Any other sub brand recommendations?
alz3abi is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz3abi View Post
The issue is sometimes it is difficult to ask for R series shelves to be tested it as 5.1 , what difference between shelves and towers? What is the best AVR that can drive the R series without any issues?


Any other sub brand recommendations?
A tower speaker will most often play lower than a bookshelf speaker. The extra woofers and larger cabinet create better extension. When you have a receiver and a sub woofer, your receiver will set a crossover point, usually 80Hz, and at this point the AVR rolls off the frequencies to the speakers and sends them to the sub. Your sub is better at handling those low frequencies than a tower speaker is. Since both your bookshelf and tower can play down below that crossover point without any trouble, you end up not needing the extra extension from the tower, since the sub is taking care of that. If you have $500 for a speaker, you can get a nicer bookshelf than you can a tower, and since most everyone already has a sub, you can get more bang for your buck this way.

Going with R series bookshelves over the Q series towers, lets you get a better speaker for close to the same money, and end up with better sound.

As for a receiver, unless you plan to blast the speakers, most every respectable receiver will work fine. I prefer Denon, but Pioneer and Yamaha are also good options. Emotiva recently released their own AVR, but I do not know if they will ship there.

Offhand I do not know who ships to Dubai, the big ID companies in the US are SVS, HSU, PSA, Outlaw, and Rythmik.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
A tower speaker will most often play lower than a bookshelf speaker. The extra woofers and larger cabinet create better extension. When you have a receiver and a sub woofer, your receiver will set a crossover point, usually 80Hz, and at this point the AVR rolls off the frequencies to the speakers and sends them to the sub. Your sub is better at handling those low frequencies than a tower speaker is. Since both your bookshelf and tower can play down below that crossover point without any trouble, you end up not needing the extra extension from the tower, since the sub is taking care of that. If you have $500 for a speaker, you can get a nicer bookshepl than you can a tower, and since most everyone already has a sub, you can get more bang for your buck this way.

Going with R series bookshelves over the Q series towers, lets you get a better speaker for close to the same money, and end up with better sound.

As for a receiver, unless you plan to blast the speakers, most every respectable receiver will work fine. I prefer Denon, but Pioneer and Yamaha are also good options. Emotiva recently released their own AVR, but I do not know if they will ship there.

Offhand I do not know who ships to Dubai, the big ID companies in the US are SVS, HSU, PSA, Outlaw, and Rythmik.


Thanks for quick reply , can you provide me the link of the sub websites please.


Actually if I'm going to buy Kef I might buy them blindly because I have 2005 series which is small size and they rock I asked because of my friends want to buy high end ones.


He is reading this thread now he told me thathe is afraid because he will pay 5k and he might not found a huge difference in sound quality in gaming since most game use dts ,Dolby digital , etc not the latest HD codec, can you explain to him what difference between the Harman hkt60 and Kef r series or Q?

He own also avr from Harman 158 he believes if he fix the crossover issues he might not need to buy new system since it might make the sound clearer , he was screwed up because his sys is doesnt come with setup Mic like adussey.
alz3abi is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz3abi View Post
Thanks for quick reply , can you provide me the link of the sub websites please.


Actually if I'm going to buy Kef I might buy them blindly because I have 2005 series which is small size and they rock I asked because of my friends want to buy high end ones.


He is reading this thread now he told me thathe is afraid because he will pay 5k and he might not found a huge difference in sound quality in gaming since most game use dts ,Dolby digital , etc not the latest HD codec, can you explain to him what difference between the Harman hkt60 and Kef r series or Q?

He own also avr from Harman 158 he believes if he fix the crossover issues he might not need to buy new system since it might make the sound clearer , he was screwed up because his sys is doesnt come with setup Mic like adussey.
SVS - www.svsound.com
HSU - www.hsuresearch.com
PSA - www.powersoundaudio.com
Outlaw - www.outlawaudio.com
Rythmik - www.rythmikaudio.com

A better speaker is still going to make DTS or Dolby digital sound better. Going from that Harman system to the KEF R series is like upgrading from a Corolla to a Porsche. Take him to the audio store and listen to them in person so he can hear the difference. There is only so much an EQ can do, in this case better speakers would make a huge difference. You also don't need to spend $5000 to make an upgrade, you could spend $1500 and have a huge upgrade (depending on prices there).
darthray likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If someone have also input I will be happy to hear
alz3abi is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
KEF, good speakers, so-so subwoofers. I would upgrade the front stage speakers to the R series bookshelf speakers. Use some Q100 bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds. Go with an ID brand for subwoofers, like some of the ones mentioned above, Rythmik, Hsu, SVS. Get two subs instead of one. I think those changes would be a real upgrade over the system you outlined in the first post, and would cost about the same.
shadyJ is online now  
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
KEF, good speakers, so-so subwoofers. I would upgrade the front stage speakers to the R series bookshelf speakers. Use some Q100 bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds. Go with an ID brand for subwoofers, like some of the ones mentioned above, Rythmik, Hsu, SVS. Get two subs instead of one. I think those changes would be a real upgrade over the system you outlined in the first post, and would cost about the same.



Thanks for your input , there will be any big different w with 5.2 over 5.1 I mean if I added second sub they will function even with encoded file like dts which supports 5.1 ?


What is the best amp to drive the Q and R series?
alz3abi is offline  
Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
There will be a difference in 5.2 over 5.1. Room acoustics tend to affect bass the worst. It is very difficult to get an even bass response from a single subwoofer in a normal room. Multiple subwoofer setups can do more to even out bass and give a better response over a wider area when properly placed. It also gives you a bit more headroom, a bit less distortion, and makes localization (where the sub draws attention to itself) much less of a problem. To make dual subs easy to set up, I recommend an AVR with Audyssey's MultiEQ XT32 Sub EQ. The Denon AVR-X4000 has that feature, along with the higher end Onkyos. As for amplification for the KEFs, pretty much anything should work well with them since they are rated for 8 ohms. I wouldn't bother getting a separate amp for them, just get a good AVR.
shadyJ is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alz3abi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
SVS - www.svsound.com
HSU - www.hsuresearch.com
PSA - www.powersoundaudio.com
Outlaw - www.outlawaudio.com
Rythmik - www.rythmikaudio.com

A better speaker is still going to make DTS or Dolby digital sound better. Going from that Harman system to the KEF R series is like upgrading from a Corolla to a Porsche. Take him to the audio store and listen to them in person so he can hear the difference. There is only so much an EQ can do, in this case better speakers would make a huge difference. You also don't need to spend $5000 to make an upgrade, you could spend $1500 and have a huge upgrade (depending on prices there).

What do you think of this setup:


R300 2 pcs for front
R100 as center
Q300 2 pcs for rare speakers

And I will see svs brand for sub if they deliver to Dubai.

In terms of avr which avr is better onkyo 818 or x4000 and which is good to drive the speakers.
alz3abi is offline  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,132
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz3abi View Post
What do you think of this setup:


R300 2 pcs for front
R100 as center
Q300 2 pcs for rare speakers

And I will see svs brand for sub if they deliver to Dubai.

In terms of avr which avr is better onkyo 818 or x4000 and which is good to drive the speakers.
That looks good for speakers. As for the AVR, get the x4000, it is quite a bit better.
shadyJ is online now  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 3,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Can recommand Kef. Q are a ok introductury budget to medium budget, but once you reach the larger Q floorstanders, I'd step up the model. I've had Q, and now Kef Reference.

I disagree with buying a $400 amp, you should get something better, but this can be done later on perhaps add a power amplifier. Going from a AVR to power amplifiers made a startling upgrade, but as I said this can be done later.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

 

Jealous of my speakers?

fatbottom is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off