• 2 Post By mtn-tech
  • 1 Post By steveting99
  • 1 Post By steveting99

post #1 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Decent 5.1 speaker system suggestions for a medium budget?

OK, so I posted several days ago and I was asking for advice/opinions on a budget home theater speaker system. I was quickly told I wouldn't be happy with anything that I could get in the price range I was considering for the room size. My wife and I have discussed it and decided to go ahead and up our budget rather than wait. We've decided to up our budget for the 5.1 speakers/subwoofer to between $1500 and $2000.

I should mention that the great room these will be going into is approximately 21' x 20' and has cathedral ceilings. I'm looking at a Yamaha AV receiver to drive my system, most likely the RX-V775BT or a similar receiver in the 100W-130W output range. We are interested in speakers that can be mounted on the wall or placed on shelves for the front/center speakers. We have no interest in mounted in-wall speakers.

I know speaker/sound opinions are as varied as individuals but I'm hoping to get some decent advice. Does anyone have anything to offer me? Again we're planning to spend between $1500 and $2000 on the speakers alone. Probably another $400 to $600 on the receiver.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to reply.

- Byron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 517
For that criteria, I would be looking at a Ascend/Rythmik system or a Hsu package, but there are a lot of other good speaker lines which fit your budget. However, for subs, I would stick to Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, and Reaction. Outlaw Audio has a very good sale on their subs right now but tomorrow is the last day for that sale.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 336
NHT Super Ones at @150 each for the front three and Super Zeros for the surrounds at $100 each = $650.

A pair of subs from SVS, PSA, HSU, Reaction Audio or Outlaw.

I'd look to getting an AVR with Audyssey since all of them can EQ the sub(s).
Transmaniacon and newbie_nj like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
We've decided to up our budget for the 5.1 speakers/subwoofer to between $1500 and $2000. I know speaker/sound opinions are as varied as individuals but I'm hoping to get some decent advice. Does anyone have anything to offer me? Again we're planning to spend between $1500 and $2000 on the speakers alone.
I would also suggest NHT speakers - but something a little larger with the matching center channel speaker. NHT speakers are very neutral and are acoustic suspension which can actually be placed on a shelf (imagine!) or mounted on the wall and many of them come in black or white - which is nice for hiding the surround speakers.

They have very smooth mids, not bright or boomy - you should listen to a pair to see if you like the sound. I have a mint pair of Classic Two's at the office that I bought used on eBay and I can listen to them all day (or night) without fatigue.

NHT / SVS (sealed sub) system for $2000:

Fronts: NHT Classic Two Bookshelf Speaker - $330 each
Center: NHT TwoC Center Channel Speaker - 3 way design for better dialog - $450
Surround: NHT Super One 2.1 Bookshelf Speaker - $150 each
OR
Surround: Absolute Wall Speaker White - $220 each
OR
Surround: NHT Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker White - $220 each
Sub: SB-2000
500 Watt DSP Controlled, 12" Compact Sealed Subwoofer - $699

Possible upgrades:

Add a second matching sub or upgrade the fronts to the NHT Classic Three

Quote:
I'm looking at a Yamaha AV receiver to drive my system, most likely the RX-V775BT or a similar receiver in the 100W-130W output range. Probably another $400 to $600 on the receiver.
Most here on AVS are partial to Denon AVRs - specifically the Denon AVR-X2000 and AVR-X3000 - I believe these can be found in that price range and have the better Audyssey MultEQ room correction EQ

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Front 3 >
NHT Classic Two speakers

NHT TwoC Center

Surround >
NHT SuperZero

Subwoofer >
HSU VTF-3
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

Receiver >
Denon X2000
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2...x2000&skipvs=T

Your call

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 07-30-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Off the bat I'm seeing an overwhelming response towards the NHT speaker line. Different models maybe but most everyone so far seems to be leaning towards that brand.

I'll look into the Denon receivers as well. I've had some experience with Yamaha and know they make pretty decent equipment but I'm not stuck on them or anything. I don't have any practical experience with Denon but I am very familiar with their reputation. I'll give them a look.

I'll keep monitoring for responses here but you guys have definitely given me some brands and items to research over the next couple of months.

Oh, one final question that will probably show my ignorance. If I'm only planning to put in a 5.1 system, at least for now, can I pick up a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver and just simply not use those outputs? Is it that simple or is there some setting in most AVRs to select 5.1, 7.1, 7.2?

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 07-30-2014 at 05:35 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh, one final question that will probably show my ignorance. If I'm only planning to put in a 5.1 system, at least for now, can I pick up a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver and just simply not use those outputs? Is it that simple or is there some setting in most AVRs to select 5.1, 7.1, 7.2?
Yes you can - and you change the set-up with the on screen menu.

Also, automatic set-up will detect what you have.

post #8 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I see you recommended the Denon AVR-X2000. I looked at the specs and reviews of this received and it looks very capable. It received glowing reviews and was given many best buy awards at it's list price. To see that Crutchfield, never known for what I would consider great prices, has it listed for $399 is incredible. WOW!

I also found a company selling Denon Factory Reconditioned units for $299!

I'm now trying to decide whether to consider the $399 deal good enough (most are still selling it for around $600 online) or if I should give the reconditioned unit a try at $299. It was reconditioned by Denon and comes with a one year warranty. I'd hate to buy one and then regret it. I've always had pretty decent luck with other reconditioned items I've purchased though. What do you guys think?

Also, unless I see a lot different opinions in this thread later, I'm currently leaning towards:

FRONT CHANNEL
NHT Classic Two Bookshelf Speaker

CENTER CHANNEL
NHT TwoC Center Channel Speaker

SURROUND
NHT SuperOne 2.1

I'm still trying to decide on the subwoofer.

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance.

- Byron
post #9 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm now trying to decide whether to consider the $399 deal good enough (most are still selling it for around $600 online) or if I should give the reconditioned unit a try at $299. It was reconditioned by Denon and comes with a one year warranty. I'd hate to buy one and then regret it. I've always had pretty decent luck with other reconditioned items I've purchased though. What do you guys think?

Also, unless I see a lot different opinions in this thread later, I'm currently leaning towards:

FRONT CHANNEL

CENTER CHANNEL

SURROUND
NHT SuperOne 2.1 Byron
With $100 difference - I tend to prefer new - however, if $100 is a big deal for you -
then the refurbish Denon can work fine.

I would go with the SuperOne 2.1 for surrounds - I only recommended the SuperZero,
based on budget.

post #10 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I don't see how anyone is still selling the x2000 for more when Crutchfield, Amazon others have been selling it for $399 for two months or more.

Just to be different I'll recommend the HTD Level Three speakers.

2 pair of HTD Level Three bookshelf at $299/pr.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers

1 Level Three center at $199.

So that's $800 which leaves plenty for dual subwoofers.

Dual SVS PB-1000, $949
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/du...0#.U9mvDPldV8E

Dual Outlaw LFM-1 Plus subs. $499 each or $998/pr.
https://outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

So roughly $1800 for five HTD speakers and dual subs.

Afro GT
post #11 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
For that criteria, I would be looking at a Ascend/Rythmik system or a Hsu package, but there are a lot of other good speaker lines which fit your budget. However, for subs, I would stick to Rythmik, Hsu, SVS, and Reaction. Outlaw Audio has a very good sale on their subs right now but tomorrow is the last day for that sale.
I have to remenber this one, this is a nice little little set-up for $2050 in satin black
http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html
I got lots more money invested in my system, but often I cannot recommand anything in this type of budget.

HSU is trusted on many site, never heard them, but I beleive it is an ID company that can be trusted.
You have mentions other name that I own and again can trusted and would like to
Thank You to give an other option at this price point so I may one day help someone else.

Ray

P.S. There was also many other good offering from other members,
Spend a little time on line to do some research and read about the flaw and the good.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 07-30-2014 at 08:01 PM.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
I see you recommended the Denon AVR-X2000. I looked at the specs and reviews of this received and it looks very capable. It received glowing reviews and was given many best buy awards at it's list price. To see that Crutchfield, never known for what I would consider great prices, has it listed for $399 is incredible. WOW!

I also found a company selling Denon Factory Reconditioned units for $299!

FRONT CHANNEL

CENTER CHANNEL

SURROUND
NHT SuperOne 2.1

I'm still trying to decide on the subwoofer.

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance.

- Byron
With your budget there are a great many speaker families attainable. The subs everyone have suggested are spot on - Rythmik, SVS, Power Sound Audio (PSA), HSU, Outlaw - all great. I'd do yourself a favor and really do some investigation into your speakers before rushing off to buy a set based on a few recommendations. Though I'm sure the NHTs are great, there's a LOT to choose from at your price point. If you've a place to audition them before you buy it's highly recommended. Many speaker companies now have money back guarantees and offer in home auditions for a trial period - this might be your best bet as a speakers characteristics will be different depending on the room, and you'll want to see how they sound in YOUR room.
Aperion (one such company with in home trials) and their Intimus family of speakers fit in your budget, look slick as all heck in piano black, and have been getting rave reviews. http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...eater-speakers
Axiom audio and Tekton Design are yet another option with in home trials with complete systems that fit within your budget. PSB speakers are audiophile darlings known for their neutrality - and their image line has recently been discontinued. You can get some great deals on them if you look, and can basically get the exact same system I bought last year new for half the price. Don't rush speaker selection With that budget there are just so many great options you owe it to yourself to take your time as you'll want to live with these for some time to come.
darthray and dsrussell like this.

Denon X4000 / Onkyo M282 amp
2 x PSB T6, 4 x PSB B5, 2 x PSB B4, 1 x PSB C5
2 x Rythmik LV12r
Dual Turntable
HTPC / gaming PC
Samsung PN60e530 Plasma
post #13 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
With your budget there are a great many speaker families attainable. The subs everyone have suggested are spot on - Rythmik, SVS, Power Sound Audio (PSA), HSU, Outlaw - all great. I'd do yourself a favor and really do some investigation into your speakers before rushing off to buy a set based on a few recommendations. Though I'm sure the NHTs are great, there's a LOT to choose from at your price point. If you've a place to audition them before you buy it's highly recommended. Many speaker companies now have money back guarantees and offer in home auditions for a trial period - this might be your best bet as a speakers characteristics will be different depending on the room, and you'll want to see how they sound in YOUR room.
Aperion (one such company with in home trials) and their Intimus family of speakers fit in your budget, look slick as all heck in piano black, and have been getting rave reviews. http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...eater-speakers
Axiom audio and Tekton Design are yet another option with in home trials with complete systems that fit within your budget. PSB speakers are audiophile darlings known for their neutrality - and their image line has recently been discontinued. You can get some great deals on them if you look, and can basically get the exact same system I bought last year new for half the price. Don't rush speaker selection With that budget there are just so many great options you owe it to yourself to take your time as you'll want to live with these for some time to come.
Very good advice. I don't plan to rush my purchases, except for maybe the Denon AVR-X2000 AVR. I want to get it while it's still available.

- Byron
darthray likes this.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll throw out the paradigm classic series and energy connoisseur. Also don't be scared off by the msrp, you should be able to find a dealer willing to negotiate with you. You can generally get 15% off the bat and even more if it's slow or you're buying more items.

PSN ID: javant86

post #15 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I don't see how anyone is still selling the x2000 for more when Crutchfield, Amazon others have been selling it for $399 for two months or more.

So roughly $1800 for five HTD speakers and dual subs.
Crutchfield is currently selling for $399. Amazon is $499. Most other online retailers that I see from a Google shopping search are still well above $500 all the way up to full retail.

I'm going to take my time and research my speaker purchases but I think I'm going to jump on the receiver while I know I can still get it at $399.

Unfortunately, I really don't think two subwoofers are going to work with our room layout. Honestly, my wife would be thrilled to go with none but I put my foot down. I really don't know where we'd put another one. Maybe I'll post a jpg of our room layout and ask you guys for suggestions!

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice.

- Byron
post #16 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Find it refurbished for $299 here: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...FZBAMgodzEEAuA
post #17 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I mentioned that a couple of posts back. I've had pretty decent luck with the few refurbished things I've tried in the past and this is Denon factory refurbished and comes with a one year warranty. Still, I don't know if it's worth the $100 or not. I'm pondering that now.

- Byron
post #18 of 30 Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 326
^^ Yep, you sure did. I noticed it after I posted
post #19 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
I mentioned that a couple of posts back. I've had pretty decent luck with the few refurbished things I've tried in the past and this is Denon factory refurbished and comes with a one year warranty. Still, I don't know if it's worth the $100 or not. I'm pondering that now.

- Byron
For $100, I think it's worth it to get a new one. The main reason is you get a 3 year warranty versus a 1 year warranty. I had lightning hit our apartment building a couple years back and it went from my cable line through the DVR down my HDMI and fried the receiver's HDMI panel and my TV input. I have now since plugged my cable line into a power strip, but random things like that can happen and fortunately I had a warranty to get the HDMI board replaced. Extra peace of mind is worth the $100 in my opinion.
darthray likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #20 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
For $100, I think it's worth it to get a new one. The main reason is you get a 3 year warranty versus a 1 year warranty. I had lightning hit our apartment building a couple years back and it went from my cable line through the DVR down my HDMI and fried the receiver's HDMI panel and my TV input. I have now since plugged my cable line into a power strip, but random things like that can happen and fortunately I had a warranty to get the HDMI board replaced. Extra peace of mind is worth the $100 in my opinion.
That's a very good point. I knew the refurbished unit came with a one-year warranty but I wasn't certain what the new one came with. Once I factored in tax and shipping, the difference was more like $89 and it definitely didn't seem worth it to me. It seems like an awesome deal already at $399.

I'll probably wait a little closer to the move-in date and try to go listen to some speakers somewhere before I make a decision on them. The main trouble is that I don't live in some huge metropolis that has a plethora of home theater/high-end audio stores to go to. There's one home theater store and Best Buy and they carry none of the brands that anyone has mentioned so far.

I'll probably go ahead and order the receiver soon just to make certain I don't miss out on the deal. My luck, everyone would sell out.

- Byron
darthray likes this.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 416
A lot of the brands we will recommend are internet direct companies, so unless you live near them you won't be able to hear them without purchasing. Fortunately, most all of these companies have trial periods and a lot of them will pay for return shipping, so in most cases there is zero risk to try them. Best Buy magnolia has some decent options, you can take a look at B&W and DefTech, but the best value lies in ID companies in my opinion.
darthray likes this.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #22 of 30 Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I was checking back to see if you had made a decision or had any other questions and noticed this comment that you made - and noticed that nobody had explained why.

Quote:
Off the bat I'm seeing an overwhelming response towards the NHT speaker line. Different models maybe but most everyone so far seems to be leaning towards that brand.
Nobody really said why there was such an overwhelming response for NHT speakers even though most of us normally recommend other brands - this why:

Quote:
We are interested in speakers that can be mounted on the wall or placed on shelves for the front/center speakers. We have no interest in mounted in-wall speakers.
When looking for speakers to place on shelves, you will get more predictable results if the speakers don't have a bass reflex design with a port - especially a rear port. NHT speakers use an acoustic suspension design, which of course have no port at all, and are better suited for placement on a shelf. That is why so many recommended NHT speakers - be cautious of other speakers especially if they have a rear bass port which some of the other recommendations did.
icelt and newbie_nj like this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #23 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
When looking for speakers to place on shelves, you will get more predictable results if the speakers don't have a bass reflex design with a port - especially a rear port. NHT speakers use an acoustic suspension design, which of course have no port at all, and are better suited for placement on a shelf. That is why so many recommended NHT speakers - be cautious of other speakers especially if they have a rear bass port which some of the other recommendations did.

mtn-tech,

Thanks for your wonderful explanation of why almost everyone seemed to be suggesting NHT. I think I have what I need to make a decently informed decision. I'll probably keep reading forum posts and researching and make a decision closer to time to move into the new house, maybe around the middle of December. I see from past posts that quite a few of the suggested brands seem to offer fairly steep discounts around the Thanksgiving to Christmas time-frame so it'll be nice to get in on the holiday savings if they do the same this year.

Thanks again for the info.

- Byron
post #24 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Unfortunately, I really don't think two subwoofers are going to work with our room layout. Honestly, my wife would be thrilled to go with none but I put my foot down. I really don't know where we'd put another one. Maybe I'll post a jpg of our room layout and ask you guys for suggestions!

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice.

- Byron
Byron,
Your floor plan is 21' x 20' = 420 sq ft. If you have the standard ceiling height of 8', the total volume works out be approximately 3,360 cu. ft. That's a lot of volume of air that a single sub needs to displace. I'd check with your sub manufacturer on what their recommendation is based on room volume. Generally getting two smaller subs works out better than one large sub. The benefits of two subs is smoother bass response over a larger sweet spot and dealing with room modes.

Your floor plan is almost a perfect square. Care must be taken on placement of your speakers and sub as there would be issues with room modes (i.e. standing waves issue). How far away is the Main Listening Position (MLP) from the speakers? If you intend to get to reference levels of 105dB peak and sit at one end of the room while the speakers are at the other end of the room, you'll need very efficient speakers with high sensitivity. As you've selected your receiver, the maximum amp power output limit has been defined. Use the following website to determine the SPL requirements for your setup:http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

While a few AVS members have mentioned a number of brands, I can throw a few more into the hat for your consideration.
Goldenears SuperSat series: http://www.goldenear.com/products/supersat-series
KEF E305: http://www.kef.com/html/hk_en/showro...ries/overview/
PSB Imagine mini: http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/...e/Imagine-mini
Bower and Wilkins M1:http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eatre/M-1.html
Cambridge Audio Min21: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...minx-min-11-21
Rogers Sound Labs CG4: http://rslspeakers.com/product/cg4-5.../#.U-xHA_mSx8M

I would recommend making a short list of speakers then go a have a listen to them. Either at home (the best option) or in the dealer shop. If going to the dealer shop, bring along an inexpensive radio shack SPL meter and a CD that has a broadband pink noise track. During the demo, ask for the speakers to be connected with the same AVR you've got at home in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode to remove any REQ from the AVR. With your SPL meter near ear level, play the pink noise CD and adjust the AVR Master Volume (MV) to say 75dB level. Then play your favorite music tracks and take some notes. Repeat the level match for each speaker type.

Picking a set of speakers are a very personal choice. So take your time and choice wisely.
dsrussell likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 08-13-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
post #25 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I would put aside $800 for a sub. You'll eventually want to add a second sub but start with. .

PB-2000 - $800

With only $1200 left you will be close. Both http://www.ascendacoustics.com/ and http://www.klipsch.com/rf-62-ii-home-theater-system offer the best bang for your buck audio quality.

You could get the CMT and some CBM for about $1350. With Klipsch you could get the 62 II series with bookshelf surrounds for about $1400. $2000 is a good budget, and I don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck performance than these 2 companies.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #26 of 30 Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm curious for those that keep telling me I'll want another sub. Want or not, I don't know that I'll ever be able to add another one as we just aren't likely to have anywhere to put one that is aesthetically pleasing. However, I might be able to eventually put one in the study, which is off of our great room. I've heard of people putting second subs in adjacent rooms and getting good results. What would be your opinions of placement similar to the one in the attached image?

Secondly, assuming I don't have a 5.2 or 7.2 receiver, how, exactly, do you hook up a second sub? Is it as simple as running the output to a y-splitter and then running each branch to one of the subs?

Thanks.

- Byron

post #27 of 30 Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I'm curious for those that keep telling me I'll want another sub. Want or not, I don't know that I'll ever be able to add another one as we just aren't likely to have anywhere to put one that is aesthetically pleasing. However, I might be able to eventually put one in the study, which is off of our great room. I've heard of people putting second subs in adjacent rooms and getting good results. What would be your opinions of placement similar to the one in the attached image?

Secondly, assuming I don't have a 5.2 or 7.2 receiver, how, exactly, do you hook up a second sub? Is it as simple as running the output to a y-splitter and then running each branch to one of the subs?

Thanks.

- Byron

Yes a y splitter will work just fine.
The only difference between a AVR with dual subs would be , if it cannot do Audyssey XT32 or something similar, it it basicly splite like a y splitter (Audyssey XT32 do seperate calilbration for the subs and some other do too, but a basic 5.2 or 7.2 AVR do them toghether like a y splitter).

Worked fine for me for years until I got the extra $ to do dual calibration for the subs.
So a y splitter is the way I would go.

It is a big space to fill, so I agree to add a second sub if, and when budget alloy it

Start with one and add in the future if possible.

Ray

Forgot to mention, some subs can be daisy chain (in and out of of one sub to the other to the in of the other sub).

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 08-18-2014 at 07:50 PM.
post #28 of 30 Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Having the 2nd sub on the study room would not be effective as it's isolated from the main listening room. The room modes in the study room are different to your main listening room.

The drawing doesn't show where the Main Listening Position (MLP) is or where the front sound stage (left, center & right speakers) are? Is it possible to have the front sound stage where the 'gas' label is. You can place the sub(s) nearfield to where the sofa/couch and have them as an end table for decorative feature. Having the sub(s) nearfield has advantages. The problem is running cables to them.

At the entrance door of the study room and to the left is a column? Can the 2nd sub be placed there? It would be directly opposite of the 1st sub.

Quote:

Thanks.

- Byron
If both subs are setup in a symmetrical arrangement (i.e. equidistant to the MLP) then it's a simple Y-split out from the receiver to each sub. The problem comes when the subs are not located symmetrical, which means making additional adjustments to levels and delays.
darthray likes this.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #29 of 30 Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
OK, so I posted several days ago and I was asking for advice/opinions on a budget home theater speaker system. I was quickly told I wouldn't be happy with anything that I could get in the price range I was considering for the room size. My wife and I have discussed it and decided to go ahead and up our budget rather than wait. We've decided to up our budget for the 5.1 speakers/subwoofer to between $1500 and $2000.

I should mention that the great room these will be going into is approximately 21' x 20' and has cathedral ceilings. I'm looking at a Yamaha AV receiver to drive my system, most likely the RX-V775BT or a similar receiver in the 100W-130W output range. We are interested in speakers that can be mounted on the wall or placed on shelves for the front/center speakers. We have no interest in mounted in-wall speakers.

I know speaker/sound opinions are as varied as individuals but I'm hoping to get some decent advice. Does anyone have anything to offer me? Again we're planning to spend between $1500 and $2000 on the speakers alone. Probably another $400 to $600 on the receiver.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to reply.

- Byron
The size of your area (assuming it's open to the kitchen, et. al.), is going to require a lot of sub .... Look at HSU VTF3 MK4 or similar from the other quality sub manufacturers mentioned. The suggestion of using it as an end table (get a pretty one and get some tempered glass for the top) for near-field placement is a good one. That will allow you get the most from your sub in that large area. Also, Yamaha is known for inflated power specs, so you might be better off with a similarly spec-ed receiver from Denon, Marantz, or NAD, who do not inflate their power ratings.
post #30 of 30 Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The size of your area (assuming it's open to the kitchen, et. al.), is going to require a lot of sub .... Look at HSU VTF3 MK4 or similar from the other quality sub manufacturers mentioned. The suggestion of using it as an end table (get a pretty one and get some tempered glass for the top) for near-field placement is a good one. That will allow you get the most from your sub in that large area. Also, Yamaha is known for inflated power specs, so you might be better off with a similarly spec-ed receiver from Denon, Marantz, or NAD, who do not inflate their power ratings.
Yeah, the end table suggestion may be good for some, for us, not quite so much. We already have very nice end tables. I do have a spot behind where the sofa is going to be, in a corner for the one sub. There really isn't a location in the room for another, aesthetically speaking. I may be able to put one in an adjacent study later, if we decide to purchase another in the future.

We did wind up going with the Denon AVR-X2000 AVR.

Thanks for the advice.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 08-19-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page