Did I blow / mess up my speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did I blow / mess up my speakers?

Hello all - I'm quite new to the speaker game and made a pretty elementary error when wiring my speakers: the red/black wires were touching at the center-channel terminal on my receiver. I'd stripped a bit too much wire and was too excited to get everything set up. As a result, my system shorted and turned off when the center was in use (this happened twice before I figured out what was wrong). Thankfully, I think the receiver fuses saved the day: everything powers on just fine (before I fixed the issue there was even a 'Check SP Wires' message on the LED display).

However, I've noticed that the center channel is pretty quiet. I'm reasonably sure the wiring is OK at this point. How can I tell if I blew the driver? Should I just increase the center volume in the receiver setup? Note that the center does work.

Perhaps this has to do with placement? I have my TV on some Ikea Expedit bookshelves and the center just inside one of the bookshelves. Is this acceptable (I'll post pictures later)?

Final questions: How much wire should I strip for the spring-clip connectors? And how can I tell if one of the wires (e.g. red/black) is not fully plugged in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Can't help with your shorting question but buy these for spring clip terminals

http://www.underwoodaudio.co.uk/imag...ana-plug-1.jpg

It's possible you blew the center channel output in your amp.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post
How can I tell if I blew the driver?
Unplug all the speakers wires and than just wire the center speaker to either left right and test it, that's what I will do.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
It's possible you blew the center channel output in your amp.
If that's the case though, wouldn't the speaker not function? It seems to be working OK.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
By "pretty quiet" do you mean that at any volume position on the AVR knob you just barely hear anything, but hear something, or does that mean that it is just a couple dB lower than the rest of the speakers but gets louder as you turn up the volume.

If the former, it could be the channel is blown in the AVR. If the latter than just re calibrate or turn up the channel volume in the AVR until it matches the others. Also be sure that both the tweeter and midrange/woofer is playing.

Too many toys
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post
By "pretty quiet" do you mean that at any volume position on the AVR knob you just barely hear anything, but hear something, or does that mean that it is just a couple dB lower than the rest of the speakers but gets louder as you turn up the volume.

If the former, it could be the channel is blown in the AVR. If the latter than just re calibrate or turn up the channel volume in the AVR until it matches the others. Also be sure that both the tweeter and midrange/woofer is playing.
I believe it's the latter (I'm not home just now so I can't check immediately). How should I go about testing this? And how can I check whether both the tweeter and midrange are playing?

Thanks for the advice! Excuse my ignorance please.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridneptune View Post
I believe it's the latter (I'm not home just now so I can't check immediately). How should I go about testing this? And how can I check whether both the tweeter and midrange are playing?

Thanks for the advice! Excuse my ignorance please.

If it is the former, it will sound like you can just barely detect the sound coming from the speaker no matter how high you turn the volume on the AVR.

If the volume increases for that channel with the AVR knob and it gets loud, just not AS loud as the other speakers, then it is the latter. As far as being able to tell is both the tweeter and the bass driver is playing, but your ear up to the tweeter, you will hear high pitched noise coming out of it. As for the driver, you should be able to see it moving with the sound, but if not, put your hand on the driver lightly and see if it is vibrating. But based on your description, I do not think your driver is blown.

If it is the latter, and the tweeter and and drivers are working and the AVR channel is not blown, then there is no issue. Just some adjustments to make to the channel volume through the AVR.

Good luck.

Too many toys
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page