Blown Tweeters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Blown Tweeters

Need some input from the gurus out here. I’vehad some struggles with the Aperion Verus tweeters and need to know what themost likely cause is. I purchased a set of Aperion Verus Forte towers a whileback and was powering it with an older Sony Receiver, which was rated at 120Wx2 at 8 ohm 20-20KHZ. I was listening tomy music at a pretty loud level and I blew one tweeter on my speakers. The tweeter was replaced, and I upgraded to aPioneer Elite SC-07 Receiver rated at 150W x2 at 8ohm 20-20KHZ. An audioholics review confirmed the powersupply actually met these measurements and then a few months later I blew bothtweeters simultaneously, once again listening at a loud level. Both tweeters were replaced and I figured Iwas probably working the speakers too hard.

So I upgraded to the Grand Verus Towers andbought two Emotiva XPA-100’s putting out 250W and used the SC-07 for apre-amp. This setup worked flawlesslyfor a year but a few months ago I, while listening at a high volume again, Iblew both tweeters simultaneously again.

I starting to think that the VGT’s can’t handlethe volume of music I sometimes like to play them at, (or they have a tweeterdesign issue) but a google of VGT and tweeters doesn’t return much results soI’m thinking the tweeter design is fine. The speakers are rated for 300W, butsince they are 6 ohm, my amps should have been putting out more than 300W,(assuming they were maxed out) when the tweeters went. Normally, I would think that the ampsdistorted and killed the tweeters, which I would remedy with larger amps, but I’mnot sure if these speakers can handle much more power

Does anybody have any advice for me, this isstarting to become a drag, and the wife is second guessing the speakers I toldher would last us a decade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Sounds like you are simply overpowering the tweeters. Turn down the treble (roll off the highs). Or just turn down the volume. I don't think it has anything to do with the amps.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Sounds like you are simply overpowering the tweeters. Turn down the treble (roll off the highs). Or just turn down the volume. I don't think it has anything to do with the amps.
+1. If you're going to listen at extreme levels you need speakers designed for it. A single 1" dome tweeter isn't going to give concert level sound. Something along the lines of Klipsch Heresy or Cornwall or JTRs is what you need.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Just out of curiosity, did you ever measure the peak SPL while listening to the loud music ? And the duration of the loud music before the tweeters were damaged.

If the amp is outputting ~ 120W unclipped, then it would output ~ 240W clipped (if the amp is clipping).

I question the 300W power rating of the speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Clipping usually occurs on LF peaks and thus does not add a lot of HF energy. Tweeters are not generally rated for high sustained power. A speaker rated for 300 W may be using a 3 - 10 W tweeter. As Bill said, consumer speakers are not meant for PA or sound reinforcement use. I really think the OP is simply playing the speakers too loud, whatever they are rated.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I know I have hit 124 DB with a radio shack spl meter before from 10 ft away, but that wasn't when they blew. It looks like everyone is in agreement I'm just pushing the speakers too hard which is what I thought. I was hoping there were a better answer but oh well, I'll need to use more restraint when we're partying in the house. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question as I just thought of this, do you think its possible I've hurt the crossovers by any chance?
post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Typically tweeters are taken out as a result of amplifier clipping. If you happen to know the wattage of the tweeters a simple fix is to install a small light bulb in series with the tweeter. When maximun wattage is reached the light bulb turns on and the result is the output is clamped. The Radio Shack meter is next to nothing and simply cannot be trusted.

There is always a possibility of doing damage to crossovers. I have seen both commercial and home units that have suffered damage and melt down.
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Sell them and get a set of JTRs or similar type speakers or as mentioned above something from the Klipsch heritage line if looks matter.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #9 of 10 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
Typically tweeters are taken out as a result of amplifier clipping.
They can be, but they also can be taken out with enough pristine clean power. They also tend to get taken out by alcohol, as in the kind liberally imbibed at parties, resulting in above mentioned lack of restraint.

If you happen to know the wattage of the tweeters a simple fix is to install a small light bulb in series with the tweeter. When maximun wattage is reached the light bulb turns on and the result is the output is clamped.

Light bulbs, usually 24v aircraft bulbs, can be used in series with tweeters to act as compressors. At low levels the bulb doesn't do anything, but when pushed hard the filament heats, raising the filament resistance, reducing the voltage to the tweeter. It doesn't clamp, but it does offer some protection, and if sized correctly the lamp will blow before the tweeter does. But in this case it probably wouldn't act as a fuse. Bulbs marketed for this purpose are intended for the pro-sound market, and will take far more power than a consumer grade 1" dome tweeter can. Finding a bulb that would work as a fuse with a consumer tweeter would be a trial and error proposition, and the only way to know if it was sized right would be to sacrifice a few more tweeters.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by merl1n74 View Post
I know I have hit 124 DB with a radio shack spl meter before from 10 ft away, but that wasn't when they blew. It looks like everyone is in agreement I'm just pushing the speakers too hard which is what I thought. I was hoping there were a better answer but oh well, I'll need to use more restraint when we're partying in the house. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question as I just thought of this, do you think its possible I've hurt the crossovers by any chance?
Say hello to Mr Deaf.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Reply Speakers

Tags
aperion verus grand towers , blown , tweeter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page