Phantom Center: Length of front speaker wall impact the the listener - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Phantom Center: Length of front speaker wall impact the the listener

I have a very traditional basement room. We use it for home theater and music listening purposes. Measuring 13 ft wide(where the back of the speakers reside) x 21 length. We sit about 14 feet back front the screen but 12 ft in front of the imaginary line for the "phantom" center and the two mains. My question is we are upgrading to a new pair of speakers and only have a Aerial Accoustics CC5. Would it make sense to get rid of the centers base on the length of the front wall and the seating distance?

Does length of the front speaker wall and seating distance impact the need for a center channel?

Please note that it is only my wife and me typically in the room.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post
Does length of the front speaker wall and seating distance impact the need for a center channel?
You can get away without a center when the L/R are placed relatively close together, say 1/2 the distance to the LP or less. But if you have them placed that close together you also lose left/right imaging, so doing so is a double edged sword that you want to consider very carefully before employing it. IMO you don't do phantom center because you want to, only when you have to.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post
I have a very traditional basement room. We use it for home theater and music listening purposes. Measuring 13 ft wide(where the back of the speakers reside) x 21 length. We sit about 14 feet back front the screen but 12 ft in front of the imaginary line for the "phantom" center and the two mains. My question is we are upgrading to a new pair of speakers and only have a Aerial Accoustics CC5. Would it make sense to get rid of the centers base on the length of the front wall and the seating distance?

Please note that it is only my wife and me typically in the room.

Thanks in advance
In my experience the distances you are describing will be perfectly fine for phantom center. But keep in mind there will be a narrow sweet spot. Since you have a center just try with and without and see which you prefer. I just have front left and right in my living room which is used only for tv and music. Theater in the basement. I don't miss the surrounds and center upstairs in the slightest bit when watching tv shows or the occasional movie off the dvr.
Reply Speakers