Martin Logan Motion FX versus Motion 4s for Front Height/Surround Back - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Martin Logan Motion FXs versus Motion 4s for Front Height/Surround Back

I have heard the Motion 4s but I have never been able to demo the FX.

Which would be better for front heights? Which for Surround backs?

IMO, theoretically I think the dispersion the FX offers would work well in both the front height position and surround backs by spreading out the ambient sound that often plays through these channels. Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited by LightsOut23; 08-02-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I use M 4's as heights over & to the sides of Magnepan 3.6 planars. They work very well.

Your choice is obviously directional vs diffused. This is only my opinion but even though I have dipolar Maggies, similar in nature to M-L e-stats, I don't like diffuse surround sound. I do want directionality.

You may feel differently

Again, only my personal opinion - dispersed diffused sound will work better as rear surrounds rather than front heights. My reasoning is this - if you have good L/R fronts that image very well for music as well as movies, using bipolar/dipolar heights could degrade the precise imaging in the front soundstage, making it more diffuse. Usually it's surround speakers than get the bipolar/dipolar treatment. but if you are already using a bipolar/dipolar speaker for fronts, then it might not be as much of an issue. But even so, my inclination is still to use monopoles as heights rather than diffuse & make less precise the front soundstage.

There are some speaker companies who disagree, namely Atlantic Technology, who makes a 'z" speaker that is bipolar design, like the FX. I looked at that approach and rejected it as it goes against the philosophy of a defined, more focused front soundstage.

If I did want a diffused surround field, I'd use FX's as rears. But my choice would still be to use the Motion 4's or even Motion 15's as front heights. For me, the 4's physically fit my situation better than 15's because of the height of the Magnepans.

IMO, the Motion 4 can be an excellent height speaker, positioned up high near the ceiling & rotated so the narrow part is at the bottom so that it aims downward. You may have to use an Omnimount kind of ceiling mount rather than the built-in wall attachment but that depends on whether you want to mount up high on the walls or physically on the ceiling away from the walls.

Some Best Buy-Magnolias or other M-L dealers may have FX's wired up for listening. That would be your best option...compare them for yourself. I think our local BB-Mag had them hooked up at one time but not the last time I was there.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 08-04-2014 at 08:02 AM.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I use M 4's as heights over & to the sides of Magnepan 3.6 planars. They work very well.

Your choice is obviously directional vs diffused. This is only my opinion but even though I have dipolar Maggies, similar in nature to M-L e-stats, I don't like diffuse surround sound. I do want directionality.

You may feel differently

Again, only my personal opinion - dispersed diffused sound will work better as rear surrounds rather than front heights. My reasoning is this - if you have good L/R fronts that image very well for music as well as movies, using bipolar/dipolar heights could degrade the precise imaging in the front soundstage, making it more diffuse. Usually it's surround speakers than get the bipolar/dipolar treatment. but if you are already using a bipolar/dipolar speaker for fronts, then it might not be as much of an issue. But even so, my inclination is still to use monopoles as heights rather than diffuse & make less precise the front soundstage.

There are some speaker companies who disagree, namely Atlantic Technology, who makes a 'z" speaker that is bipolar design, like the FX. I looked at that approach and rejected it as it goes against the philosophy of a defined, more focused front soundstage.

If I did want a diffused surround field, I'd use FX's as rears. But my choice would still be to use the Motion 4's or even Motion 15's as front heights. For me, the 4's physically fit my situation better than 15's because of the height of the Magnepans.

IMO, the Motion 4 can be an excellent height speaker, positioned up high near the ceiling & rotated so the narrow part is at the bottom so that it aims downward. You may have to use an Omnimount kind of ceiling mount rather than the built-in wall attachment but that depends on whether you want to mount up high on the walls or physically on the ceiling away from the walls.

Some Best Buy-Magnolias or other M-L dealers may have FX's wired up for listening. That would be your best option...compare them for yourself. I think our local BB-Mag had them hooked up at one time but not the last time I was there.
Thanks, that definitely makes sense. When I get back into town I'll call into a few of the bestbuy mags near me to see which stores have them available for demo. Although I do like the idea of the sound dispersing throughout the room, it may be beneficial to use monopole speakers as front heights that project the sounds just above my listening position.

My original reasoning was that if mostly ambient sounds are sent to these channels, such as raining/hovering helicopters, the sound dispersing around the room would be more engulfing. However, with your comments and some other literature I read, monopole speakers may be more effective at placing the sound just above ear level. This may do a better job at adding elevation to the sound field.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

You may feel differently

I agree. I have Motion 4's for heights, Motion 16 ( same as the current 15's ) for wides, and Motion FX for side and rear surrounds.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page