Small Room Speaker Setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2014, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Small Room Speaker Setup?

I have a 9' x 9' room that I'm looking to put a 39" 4k TV in and I'd like to have a nice sound system for watching TV/Movies or playing music, however I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for.

I need speakers & a receiver and I have a budget of around $500-$700.

Is this a reasonable budget for what I'm looking for and if so what are some recommended products I should look into.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Wow that is a small room. Not a huge budget, but you don't need to spend a lot to get a full sound in such a small room. I would go for a pair of tower speakers and an AVR. Even towers in a room like that should have pretty good bass reinforcement, so I think you can skip the sub. Any sub in your budget won't be great anyway. I would skip the center speaker, since you are likely to only have a single listening position in a room like that. Center channels offer a lot more benefits to off-axis listening positions. I wouldn't bother with surround speakers, ad they dilute an already small budget for not much gain. I suggest sticking with a 2.0 setup with some decent tower speakers. Some towers to look at are the Infinity Primus p363 and Pioneer SP towers. For AVRs, I would go for something with HDMI 2.0, since you are interested in 4k resolutions. Here is an affordable AVR with HDMI 2.0 spec.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I agree with the above post, in that size room I would go with a 2.0 setup with two towers. They will rock the room and you wont miss a center or surrounds. This will also allow you to get a higher quality LR rather than trying to build a full 5.1 with a $500 budget after the receiver. If you get them and decide the bass is a boomy due to the room, a couple of corner bass traps will help.

The Infinity P363 is a great recommendation, especially since it is front ported, most likely you will be placing them against the wall.

Last edited by advanced101101; 08-04-2014 at 06:47 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A lot of it depends on whether you're looking for surround sound in the 9x9 room or just an upgrade over the TV speakers. If you're looking for a full 5.1 setup, the Monoprice premium 5.1 channel speakers are great for the price. Buddy of mine has them in his apartment. They sound nice at apartment friendly volumes (haven't gone real loud with them.) If you're just looking for a stereo setup, the Infinity Primus P363's mentioned above are fantastic. I have them as the front's in my 5.1 setup. They sound good by themselves, plenty of sound to fill my moderate living room even with the vaulted ceilings. Check the Fry's electronics ads. They put them on sale pretty regularly at $329 for the pair or slightly more at Amazon. Fry's will ship them at the advertised price, you just have to call their customer service.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 537
A 9 x 9 room is only a little bigger than a nice walk in closet. You can even get by with a nice pair of
bookshelf speakers and a decent 10 inch subwoofer. Make sure the speakers have some decent space
to breathe (air space), to radiate and throw a decent sound-stage.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I agree that the center channel might be unnecessary, but for movies I would still want some inexpensive surrounds for fill.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 8 Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies I'll look into what everyone has suggested so far.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Smile

With a small room I would look for front ported or sealed speakers. You'll probably get an inflated bass w/rear ported designs. You'll get greater flexibility in speaker placement w/the sealed and front ported designs.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page