On-Wall speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
On-Wall speakers

Looking to buy a 5.1 setup for my basement, to go with a 65-70" Samsung wall mounted TV. Looking for wall mounted options, nothing to square and boxy. Longer and thinner would look better. Currently looking at Polk MWM5 fronts, MWM3 rears, CS10 center, and PS10 sub. That's roughly $500 and my ballpark budget. Receiver recommendations would also be great, around $300 with pass thru and 4 or 5 HDMI inputs.

Soundwise, this will be fore basement TV watching, blu ray movies etc. I don't need an intense setup, but looking to improve the sound from the stock tinny TV.

Also, dumb question, how do these things mount? Do I just feed the speaker cable through the mounting plate of the speaker, or do I need to install a 2nd banana clip plate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Most "bookshelf" speakers are not intended to be wall mounted. The crossover Baffle Step Compensation assumes they will be out in the room, a couple of feet away from anything. A few are made for on-wall mount. Some in-wall plates are very good. Polk, Boston, B&W etc. Might consider that.

Connectors are bad. Just run through a hole.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmarke View Post
Looking to buy a 5.1 setup for my basement, to go with a 65-70" Samsung wall mounted TV. Looking for wall mounted options, nothing to square and boxy. Longer and thinner would look better. Currently looking at Polk MWM5 fronts, MWM3 rears, CS10 center, and PS10 sub. That's roughly $500 and my ballpark budget. Receiver recommendations would also be great, around $300 with pass thru and 4 or 5 HDMI inputs.
I assume you mean the Polk OWM5 and OWM3 - these are OK for background sound and will probably beat a crappy soundbar (that's not saying much), but if you want real home theater sound in a room big enough for a 70" TV you are going to need more speaker than that. The Polk sub is not a good buy either - much better to buy a Dayton sub from Parts Express or even better get a great internet direct sub from SVS, HSU, etc.

Why spending $1500 - $2000 on the TV (that will be obsolete in 3-5 years) and only $500 on all 6 speakers?

Some GOOD on-wall speakers for the front three and maybe some lesser speakers in the rear (like the Polk OWM5) would be better than your stock TV speakers and wouldn't pale in comparison to that mega bucks TV - maybe 3 of these and the Polks in the rear (about $700) plus the Dayton sub ($129) - that would be about $850:

BOSTON ACOUSTICS P442 LCR (Left,Right,Center) Speaker Black - $199 Each NEW
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer - $129

AVR - maybe look at Denon at Accessories4Less - great deals
DENON AVR-E300 5.1 3D Networking Receiver AirPlay - $190 Free ship

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Could you answer some questions that would help us better answer your questions?

1. Why on-wall for the fronts - is it cost or aesthetics / WAF (wife acceptance factor)? Some small tower speakers are actually less and will sound WAY better.
2. Sounds like you have room for a real center channel speaker - do you also have room for Left / Right bookshelf speakers as well?
3. What is the size of your room (including all adjacent rooms open the the listening room)?
4. Where are you putting your AVR and center channel speaker - is there a reason that there is no room for the L / R speakers?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Room is 14ft wide, and 40-50ft long, although the seating will obviously be much closer. See photo.

Wall mounted TV, now that I think about it, 70" is probably way too big for this space, probably 60-65" will be the max. We are mounting the TV on a reclaimed wood wall, giving that barnwood look. The idea was to keep it clean, with no furniture in front. I am running cables to the left, where there will be a closet under the steps.

Hence, my wife wanted a basic sound bar, but I wanted a little more. So I figure wall mounted tv and speakers, and then I can hide a sub in the corner. Because of the wood install over the drywall, I don't want to try and do in wall speakers.

My other option is to convince the wife that we need a media console of some sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	196801   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	196817  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If you really need a clean look, you could do that on wall system that I recommended and it would look something like this:

Or if you really want to get the sound bar look without limiting yourself to an actual soundbar, get an AVR and use it to power a "passive soundbar" - basically three speakers in one that looks like a soundbar but is still powered by an AVR - giving you all the setup, control and power that a soundbar doesn't. One of these is the Paradigm Cinema Trio which is in your price range - if you look you can find one for $400 range

Front Three: Paradigm Cinema Trio
Sub: Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer

Last edited by mtn-tech; 08-05-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Speakers: Do you recommend one over the other? 3 of the BA P442 LCR speakers, or a passive sound bar? Which would give a fuller sound? I'm guessing 3 of the P442, mounted L,R and Center.

Receiver: The three P442 would pair well with that Denon receiver? I like that the receiver has plenty of HDMI and pass through. It says it has networking, does that include wireless or only wired ethernet? I'd like to wireless stream Spotify to it if that's an option. Does that monitor support RF remotes?

Sub: Is that sub the best bang for the buck, or is that just an example?

Also, Banana clips, are they the standard and what I should be going with?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Speakers: Do you recommend one over the other? 3 of the BA P442 LCR speakers, or a passive sound bar? Which would give a fuller sound? I'm guessing 3 of the P442, mounted L,R and Center.

Receiver: The three P442 would pair well with that Denon receiver? I like that the receiver has plenty of HDMI and pass through. It says it has networking, does that include wireless or only wired ethernet? I'd like to wireless stream Spotify to it if that's an option. Does that monitor support RF remotes?

Sub: Is that sub the best bang for the buck, or is that just an example?

Also, Banana clips, are they the standard and what I should be going with?

Thanks for all of your help!
I recommend the 3 separate speakers - the distance between the L and R will give better separation and imaging - especially with a huge TV like yours. I also recommend the Paradigm Cinema 400, but the list price / dealer price is way out of your budget. If you don't mind buying them on eBay (not sure about warranty) you could get the Paradigm Cinema 400 for about the same price. But Boston Acoustics makes great speakers - and I actually like that the Boston is a 3-way design with a single mid and dual woofers - this a better design for the center (horizontally placed) speaker. Either way you are going to be miles ahead of a sound bar.

The Denon AVR will easily power any of these speaker options.

That sub is just the lowest price sub that I would recommend and is certainly a lot of bang for the buck - certainly better than any major speaker manufacturer sub for $150 or less (like the cheap Polk subs). There are some other great <$300 subs out there by BIC and NXG as well. But if you are getting close to spending $300 - look at the entry level HSU subs - $300 to $350. My favorite is SVS - but their subs start at $499.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

For speaker wire, you can terminate with banana plugs but since these speakers are wall mount and won't be seen or touched you can just use bare / stripped wire - better connection and more permanent. Those speakers have 5 way binding posts so you can

Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
I recommend the 3 separate speakers - the distance between the L and R will give better separation and imaging - especially with a huge TV like yours. I also recommend the Paradigm Cinema 400, but the list price / dealer price is way out of your budget. If you don't mind buying them on eBay (not sure about warranty) you could get the Paradigm Cinema 400 for about the same price. But Boston Acoustics makes great speakers - and I actually like that the Boston is a 3-way design with a single mid and dual woofers - this a better design for the center (horizontally placed) speaker. Either way you are going to be miles ahead of a sound bar.

The Denon AVR will easily power any of these speaker options.

That sub is just the lowest price sub that I would recommend and is certainly a lot of bang for the buck - certainly better than any major speaker manufacturer sub for $150 or less (like the cheap Polk subs). There are some other great <$300 subs out there by BIC and NXG as well. But if you are getting close to spending $300 - look at the entry level HSU subs - $300 to $350. My favorite is SVS - but their subs start at $499.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

For speaker wire, you can terminate with banana plugs but since these speakers are wall mount and won't be seen or touched you can just use bare / stripped wire - better connection and more permanent. Those speakers have 5 way binding posts so you can
Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the three BA speakers, the Denon AVR-X1000, and the Dayton Sub, was thinking 10" to save a little space,but may opt for 12".

How would speaker cable feed to these? Does the mounting plate for the speakers also have a whole to feed speaker cable through?
I imagine I want to hit studs for the mounts? And what speaker cable do you reccomend? Is there in-wall wire I should get or is standard stuff fine? I currently have some MediaBridge 16AWG, is that good enough and safe for in the walls?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the three BA speakers, the Denon AVR-X1000, and the Dayton Sub, was thinking 10" to save a little space,but may opt for 12".

How would speaker cable feed to these? Does the mounting plate for the speakers also have a whole to feed speaker cable through?
I imagine I want to hit studs for the mounts? And what speaker cable do you reccomend? Is there in-wall wire I should get or is standard stuff fine? I currently have some MediaBridge 16AWG, is that good enough and safe for in the walls?
I wish I had space for the same speaker setup in my Master Bedroom - should be nice.

Boston Acoustics Product Page - P442 On-Wall Speaker (Black)
Owners Manual - Boston Acoustics P442 On-Wall Speaker

As you can see from the manual, these speakers do come with a mounting bracket, the wires can come from below / through bracket or through one of the holes in the bracket - the holes will be covered by the speaker so you don't need any other kind of speaker wire terminal plate - maybe a cable wall grommet in the hole if you really want it crazy neat.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Good deal thanks!

I ordered them the other day with the Denon AVR and a Dayton sub, should all be here today. Now to find a TV.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I went with the Denon AVR-X1000 and the BA P442 wall speakers, and a 60" Samsung Led. I just mounted TV and speakers, still finishing the room with paint etc, so I don't have anything fully connected yet. I also bought the 10" Dayton Sub, though I'm not sure if I will keep it, most folks say I will need something more. The room size isnt 50' like I first mentioned, I still need to measure but my guess it it's roughly 35 ft long.

Still need recommendations for rear wall speakers, something smaller that will fit nicely on the bulkhead.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Update:

I went with the Denon AVR-X1000 and the BA P442 wall speakers, and a 60" Samsung Led. I just mounted TV and speakers, still finishing the room with paint etc, so I don't have anything fully connected yet. I also bought the 10" Dayton Sub, though I'm not sure if I will keep it, most folks say I will need something more. The room size isnt 50' like I first mentioned, I still need to measure but my guess it it's roughly 35 ft long.

Still need recommendations for rear wall speakers, something smaller that will fit nicely on the bulkhead.
Good choice on speakers and they do look nice - I do not believe that you will be
keeping the Dayton sub.

Do you plan to do side-surrounds > that would be a nice option if only going 5.1
and tend to be the preferred choice.

I would look at the Boston RS223 for a nice surround option, and can be mounted.
If you can swing (budget) it.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...a-black/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure of the terminology, but I'm looking for small, On-Wall speakers, I guess L&R surround speakers. They will each mount on the wall, up higher on the bulk heads where the wall meets the ceiling, and slightly behind the couch. Nothing floor standing. Nothing too boxy bookshelf style either. Looking for subtle small speakers to round out the 5.1 setup.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not sure of the terminology, but I'm looking for small, On-Wall speakers, I guess L&R surround speakers. They will each mount on the wall, up higher on the bulk heads where the wall meets the ceiling, and slightly behind the couch. Nothing floor standing. Nothing too boxy bookshelf style either. Looking for subtle small speakers to round out the 5.1 setup.
Yes surround - you got it right

NHT SuperZero 2.1 > sold each
http://www.nhthifi.com/Bookshelf-spe...&category=3772

Focal Sib > sold by pair
The speaker stand doubles as a wall mount bracket
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...s-black/1.html

Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Im looking for something more along the lines of the Focal Sib, as the NH superhero is too boxy. Even though sound matters most, aesthetics still play a role, especially when convincing my wife I need to install these.

How do the Focal Sibs compare against something like the Boston Acoustics Bravo 20? Specs seem similar. Should mention I'm probably getting them in white, which both the Focal and the BA come in white.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-ea-blk/1.html
Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How do the Focal Sibs compare against something like the Boston Acoustics Bravo 20? Specs seem similar. Should mention I'm probably getting them in white, which both the Focal and the BA come in white.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-ea-blk/1.html
The Boston Bravo will be closer to the on-wall speakers you have, and will be
better for the all around timbre (tone color) blending.

Looks like AC4L only has 1 ea speaker and not a pair.

Check on Amazon and Ebay for the Bravo speaker and also at Crutchfield

All in all the Focal can work - and will still be fine.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, what about the BA Soundware 4.5?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks, what about the BA Soundware 4.5?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...specifications
If budget is limited - then the SoundWare 4.5 will be OK/fine

However, I would take the Sib over the SoundWare

And if budget permits - the Bravo is my preference

You call

Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

So I bought the BA Bravo 20 speakers, but I am returning them. They are two inches two tall for my bulk head, and I don't like that they overhang. I prefer not to install them horizontal either. That said, what is my next best option? Looking at the Polk OWM4 even if they are a lesser speaker, or would the focal sib be better than the polk? Any other recommendations?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Other option is Axiom. I am thinking about buying their M2 on-wall for surrounds and zone 2 duties.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/in-wall-on-wall-speakers