AVS Forum banner

Pioneer SP-BS22 vs. Cambridge S30

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  zieglj01 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm getting closer to finishing my computer project and I'm looking for a nice 2.1 setup. I've done a lot of research and this is what I've come up with on a strict $400-500 budget (not including amp)

Speakers: Pioneer BS22 or Cambridge Audio S30
Sub: HSU STF-1
Amp: NuForce N22 or some A/V receiver.

My room is about a 10' x 15'. I built a pipe desk that is around 74" x 36" so either one should fit nicely. I will also be buying some AudioEngine speaker stands. My biggest question is the bookshelf speakers. I've seen the Noaudiophile review that states that Pioneers are pretty harsh in the upper range but sound pretty good if albeit a little narrow with proper DSP corrections. The Cambridge sounds like it's amazing for the price point so I'm leaning towards it but if I can get similar performance out of the Pioneers for cheaper then I'd like to do that. Thoughts?

#3 ·
I believe zieglj01 knows a lot about the cambridge and can give you more information, but I think it is widely accepted here that Cambridge S30 is the better speaker. They were also much more expensive last time I checked.

However, IIRC, the cambridge are not recommended for near field applications, which is what it seems you are wanting them for. The BS22s are not what I would call harsh by any means, and are great for near field applications. I think this is the case when you can save some $$$ by going with the BS22s and spend it towards the sub and not really compromising on your LR choice.

#4 ·
I have two pair of the BS-22's, one in a near field computer room setup running off a small class D amp of about 40 wpc, with two subs, and I have a set in my bedroom running off a little 8 watt T-amp. I've even used them for a bit as mains in my main system running off a 200 wpc B&K amp, and I have never noticed any harshness, in fact, I find them to be a very well tonally balanced speaker, with shocking bass capabilities for such a small woofer. Even more shocking is the low price. I paid $99 for one set and $79 for the other. I know of no other speaker that can touch them for anywhere near their price.

Sure, there are plenty of speakers that cost more and perform a little better, but the BS-22's really are, to me anyway, a great sounding speaker and an incredible value. I actually could live with the Pioneer's in my main setup if I had.

#13 ·
You can't go wrong with the BS22s. They are somewhat laid back, and in my experience, they are great for 2.1 nearfield listening you intend to do. They are really pleasant to listen to, and they are not harsh. Maybe that noaudiophile guy has a very bright room, but he wouldn't be my first choice for speakers reviews anyway. And his graphic looks really inconsistent with what has been reviewed by many others.

Like I said before, the Cambridge S30 may be the better speaker overall, but I believe the BS22 are better suited for your nearfield setup.

#15 ·
Thanks for the help! I might actually just give them a shot then or zieglj01 AAL speaker suggestion. Quick question while on on this thread. I hope the NuForce will be enough. The used A/V's that I see listed on CL or eBay have terrible THD's at the price point I'm looking at ($200-$300).

Sucks that the Cambridge wouldn't work for my situation because they sound great. I know Cambridge makes some great amps/gear!

#14 ·
I've had both but not at the same time. Both are good sounding speakers. I never once thought the BS22's were harsh. They are laid back and it seemed like the treble rolled off early imo. Tweeter was the week point in those. I wish I could demo them back to back. I think I would take the S30's.

#17 ·
I'd personally go with the AudioEngine P4s for the this application. They are designed for an excel in near-field application on desk. The S30 is probably the best speaker of the 3 for traditional bookshelf/stand usage but for use on a desk in near-field I'd have the most faith in the P4. I've heard the P4 and Pioneer. While the Pioneer is an excellent value I much preferred the sound of the P4.

#21 ·
While the P4 may have been designed for desktop use... it was designed with little if any baffle step compensation (I assume this was to offset the boundary reinforcement in the low midrange and upper bass that results from putting the speakers on a large flat surface).

The result is that the tweeter runs considerably hotter than the woofer...
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-audioengine-p4

And at least to my ears, having them on a desk did not balance the sound at all... They sounded very forward/bright to me...

#20 ·
@zieglj01: Thank you for all the amp suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the AAL's. The crossover change sounds like it would be significant.

As for those suggesting active speakers, I've definitely thought about it but something about having a separate amp with speakers sounds better although maybe not since my budget is kind of low and the speakers and amp might be better matched for each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.